Brake judder

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
330Stevie

Brake judder

Post by 330Stevie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:38 am

Hi All,
The better halves troc had developed the above. I imagine warped disc as no obvious signs of anything else. It’s really not had a hard life in terms of braking at all!!

The cars only just done about 14k. What’s the chance of vw entertaining this under warranty? Pretty rubbish that it’s happening on a two year old car with such low mileage. I managed to get my Alfa’s discs and pads replaced all round with exactly the same problem with zero quibble under warranty a while back?

Any thoughts guys? New to vag cars so no idea how accommodating they are?? If there is no chance I’ll take it to my local indie first as last.
1.5 SEL ordered Oct 18
Renegotiated on the basis of build (lack of) for same deal to
2.0Tdi 4motion R-Line, idium grey/ black roof.
Collected 2 March 19

twist

Re: Brake judder

Post by twist » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:31 am

Well you might as well take it to VW first and see if they’ll sort it.

Is it the front/rear/both? There’s an issue with rear brakes making a squealing sound and VW have a TPI (basically a recall) about it. Have you ever heard them squealing or groaning as you reverse/drive slowly with them applied? If so, you could have a case for replacement.

Mine were replaced no quibble and all I had to do was mention it to them. I think VW are likely to take things like this seriously as it relates to customer safety. They don’t want to be taken to court over dodgy brakes!

You can always take it to an indy if VW won’t sort them.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:29 am

I took mine into volkswagen 5 months into ownership with badly grooved discs and they said there was nothing wrong with them.
There's a post here somewhere?

In the warranty brakes amongst other things are only covered for 6 months.

Good luck
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:43 pm

330Stevie wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:38 am

It’s really not had a hard life in terms of braking at all!!

I managed to get my Alfa’s discs and pads replaced all round with exactly the same problem with zero quibble under warranty a while back?

These 2 sentences don't compute.. :-)

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:52 pm

@330Stevie - One of the problems with car servicing and warranty is that owners often have vastly different experiences with dealers and manufacturers. My personal experience with a good number of Vauxhall and Volkswagen cars and dealers is that they often first try to say it is not covered but if you are willing to follow up by sending a polite letter to the manufacturer's customer services they will often either cover the full cost or meet you half way. I've had a lot of success.

If it is a warped disc, it is probably the result of a seized piston which can happen due to infrequent use and low mileage, but it needs to be examined to confirm.

So, start with the dealer - get them to diagnose the problem, provide an estimate of cost and confirm if it will be covered by warranty. I've had a full set of discs and pads replaced after 2 years due to corroded discs on a VW Jetta without me even reporting a problem. If you decide to have the work carried out, you normally have to pay the dealer up front and they might say it will be up VW to decide if it's covered by warranty, but tell them to keep all the old parts (they belong to you) for you to inspect and take photos - if you don't, they will put them in the 'bin'. If VW approve warranty replacement, job done and the cost will be refunded by the dealer.

If VW don't approve the warranty replacement, keep the parts and write to customer services giving details of the problem, the repair action and cost, the car age/mileage/use, service/inspection history etc. and offer to take the parts back to the dealer for a VW inspection. Sometimes the manufacturer will agree to cover the cost, or part of it, even when out of warranty as an exceptional early life failure. I've saved hundreds of pounds following the above, but you need to be polite and don't threaten legal action or other remedies in your first letter unless you are certain you can win, otherwise they will just dig their heels in. If your first approach to customer services doesn't satisfy you, then you probbly need to get an independent report to backup your case, and this is where you need to decide whether it is worth the time, effort and cost of going down that route or just cut your losses and put it down to experience. If you get a supporting report, then you should try to resolve the matter with customer services and only use legal remedies as a last resort.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

330Stevie

Post by 330Stevie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:07 pm

Thanks all; common sense advice. I just wondered how customer focussed vw are. Thing is it’ll take me no more than a couple of hours to swap the discs and pads over. With brembo parts I’ll have change out of £100. However if it is a faulty calliper then I’m throwing my time away. Will probably bite the bullet and just send it to VW.
1.5 SEL ordered Oct 18
Collected 2 March 19

330Stevie

Post by 330Stevie » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:09 pm

Tricky2 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:43 pm
330Stevie wrote:

I managed to get my Alfa’s discs and pads replaced all round with exactly the same problem with zero quibble under warranty a while back?

In what way??
1.5 SEL ordered Oct 18
Collected 2 March 19

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:11 pm

330Stevie wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:09 pm
Tricky2 wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:43 pm
330Stevie wrote:

In what way??
I understood no problem 👌🤷‍♂️😁
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:22 pm

330Stevie wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:07 pm
Thanks all; common sense advice. I just wondered how customer focussed vw are. Thing is it’ll take me no more than a couple of hours to swap the discs and pads over. With brembo parts I’ll have change out of £100. However if it is a faulty calliper then I’m throwing my time away. Will probably bite the bullet and just send it to VW.

Your car is still under warranty, so it's probably best to at least let a VW service dept. have a look and advise if it is warranty work. If you start doing major jobs yourself you could find VW would invalidate the entire remaining warranty, so you may want to consider or enquire about that.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

330Stevie

Post by 330Stevie » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:12 am

By way of update; the wife has booked her car in. VW have offered to do a free assessment. Let’s see what happens
1.5 SEL ordered Oct 18
Collected 2 March 19