Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Rear suspension TROC R

8K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  sametdo 
#1 ·
Hi! Around 2 months or so back I started to hear a creak from the rear offside suspension every time I went over a bump (plenty around), so booked the car into VW MK who after a road test diagnosed the issue as the rear anti-roll bar and D links. The suspension was removed and cleaned and lubricated with a special grease (so I was told). It was fine for about 3-4 weeks but the noise came back. I took the vehicle in as the parts were in stock. The parts were not fitted and the diagnosis this time was the rear seat latch etc. was the issue. I got a tad arsy and commented how can it be one thing (they are the professionals) and then it is something completely different. You can guess the question could not be answered. Anyway, it is back and before I go back again has anyone had this issue? Many thanks. Chris

#2 ·
I think mine might have this as I have a rattle coming from that area. Let me know what happens.

#3 ·
Chris - I've just checked my car and I have the squeak/rattle coming from the rear seat latch on the RHS. I'm away at the moment but will take my car to the local VW dealer when I get back as there's a problem with wireless CarPlay to look at as well.

#4 ·
Pleased I was not imagining it was just me who has this issue. I am certain it is still there but not as bad as previous. I live in the wilds of Oxfordshire so the rubbish road surfaces really shows the issue up. The rear parcel shelf is also a pain as it also rattles. I put that down to poor design. Let me know how you get on.

#5 ·
UPDATE! After weeks of messing about, the issue has been found and it is to do with the seat latch mechanism inside the seat. A temporary fix has been carried out and all is 'sereneish' in the back. The new part is being fitted in a couple of weeks. It appears I am not the only person to suffer with this issue as per the garage.

#6 ·
Hi all,
I think I have the same issue - I got my T-Roc R at almost the same time as sametodo.
It has rattled from the rear offside almost since I got the car. It's not too bad, and seems to lessen during a longer journey.
Very interested in the other posts and solutions. Presumably fixed under warranty??
Cheers

#8 ·
Is there a difference between the rear seat backrest and latch mechanism on the R and other models ?

Just wondering if this issue could affect the other trims/models.

#11 ·
Thanks ... I have profound hearing loss and although I have a hearing aid and implant, I really can't hear much in the car when driving. However my wife has commented a few times about a rattle of sorts, so I'll mention this to her and see if she can narrow down the direction of where it might be coming from.

Do you know if it is only the offside which is affected ? Personally I'd think it could be either or both.

#15 ·
Hello - I still have this rattle as not had chance to get to local dealer yet. Would appreciate if you could let me know the part number they fit so I can give this to my dealer when I go in to help them resolve it quickly. Cheers!

#17 ·
tiger tony said:
I had a similar issue over 2 yrs ago on my standard T-roc, I simply wrapped a couple of turns of electrical insulation tape around the seat latch. (Black bit in picture - bit scratched now) Silence !

back seat clip 2.jpg
Hi all,
Just tried the insulating tape trick today - and IT WORKS !! (at least, at the moment)

I know it's not fixing the problem - but it is a quick and easy solution. Much less hassle than booking the car in etc. Took 30 seconds (literally !)

Thanks "tigertony" for the tip.

#18 ·
I was also facing this issue. Dealer lubricated the latch and the noise is gone.

#21 ·
Impala said:
Is there a difference between the rear seat backrest and latch mechanism on the R and other models ?

Just wondering if this issue could affect the other trims/models.
are all the same

#22 ·
I have the issue on my T Roc R line it's a creaky sort of knock.
Have stripped out the rear parcel shelf, boot floor, spare wheel and jack but it's still there.
Doesn't go away with 2 adults in the back, if was a seat latch I would expect it to maybe??

It's in for 1st service in a couple of weeks so will see what they say in the meantime it's sooooo annoying

#23 ·
Bosscat said:
Doesn't go away with 2 adults in the back, if was a seat latch I would expect it to maybe??
You'd have thought so &#x1f937-2642;

Have you tried it with both seats down or tried the 60% side down on its own & 40% side down on its own 🤔

#24 ·
Bosscat said:
I have the issue on my T Roc R line it's a creaky sort of knock.
Have stripped out the rear parcel shelf, boot floor, spare wheel and jack but it's still there.

It's in for 1st service in a couple of weeks so will see what they say in the meantime it's sooooo annoying
Have you tried the trick with the insulating tape? I have just done it, and after a year of creaks and knocks, now ...... silence !
Worth a try ..?

#26 ·
Took my car to dealer yesterday. They did a full update of the infotainment software and looked at the rear seat latch. They recognised the problem and have ordered the part. Need to go back in a couple of weeks to have it fitted. Would encourage others to get it fixed as it seems to be a known problem and not right on a £40K VW

On a side note. They had aTiguanR - I didn’t like the look of it - didn’t look very sporty. They had an Arteon R and that was very nice.

Reactions: Vernerbongo2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.