Leak from under car

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Meegz

Leak from under car

Post by Meegz » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:36 pm

Hi all,

My 2020 1.0L T-Roc Design seems to be leaking from underneath :|
I found this out because the driver in front of me the other day got out of their car whilst in traffic to warn me.

As it's been pretty hot recently in England, I put it down to condensation as I'd had the AC on fairly high.
I also mopped some liquid up and it was colourless and odourless suggesting it's just water.

I forgot about it for a week or so, but then came out of work this evening and noticed a large pool of water under the car. The car had been parked up for nearly 9 hours when I got to it this evening. I have attached some pictures below.
  • No warning lights on dash
  • Temperature gauge staying at 90, as normal
  • Liquid seems to be water
  • Coolant and oil levels OK
  • Fuel level not dipping dramatically
  • Seemingly intermittent?

Has anyone else seen this issue before or is there someone with some knowledge of this sort of thing who might be able to point me in the right direction?

Trying to get it booked in for a once-over with VW, but they've got no availability until after I come back from my holiday.... would rather not drive a long way if I'm not sure what's wrong with the car (if anything).

Many thanks in advance
T-Roc Design 1.0 TSI 115 (6-speed manual)
Red with black roof
Electric tailgate
Winter pack
Collected 22/03/2020

Impala

Re: Leak from under car

Post by Impala » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:32 pm

Ok, so the car is about 15 months old and I guess you only noticed this recently. Any chance it was always like that and you just didn't notice before ?

Water condensation from the A/C is usually under the engine, but I have my A/C on all the time and I have never seen anything like that.

Have you checked the screen wash water level ? I don't know where the pipe runs to supply the rear washer, but that's the only thing I can think of for water under the driver position.

You need to lie down on your back and look under the car and try to find any pipes or if the water is running back from the tray under the engine.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

twist

Post by twist » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:00 pm

What about blocked drainage holes? I believe rain water runs along some deliberate panel gaps on the top of the car’s roof and into some drainage holes. The Golf 7 had a notorious problem whereby these would get blocked and actually ended up (in mine) diverting the water into the rear off-side speaker rather than away from the interior.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:40 pm

Don't recall seeing those on my Golf 7 ... do you mean for a sunroof ?
Ordered 22/06/18

twist

Post by twist » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:07 pm

Impala wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:40 pm
Don't recall seeing those on my Golf 7 ... do you mean for a sunroof ?
No I didn’t have a sunroof on mine (although I would have loved one!)

Sorry, I didn’t explain that very well at all. When I took my 7 to the dealership to get a similar door leak sorted, they explained to me that the gap that runs along the either side of the top of the car usually guides rain water from the roof away down towards the back of the car, but if water builds up or gets inside the door (past the seal) there are drainage holes for it to run through. Mine were apparently blocked and so the water ended up inside the door, built up and and that’s what wrecked the speaker and wet my interior, eventually leaking out the bottom of the door. Thinking about it now, it makes more sense that these drainage holes would be somewhere near the bottom of the door, not the top since they’re to let water *out* if it gets in.

So I guess the first thing to check would actually be the rubber door gasket, *then* the drainage holes. I’ll see if I can find them tomorrow.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:24 pm

Yes, all doors have or should have drainage holes at the bottom. This is mostly for water that gets past the window rubbers or when the window is lowered. If you fully open a door after heavy rain or washing the car, you may get a small amount of water drips from the bottom, but nothing like the amount in the photos, but it is worth checking the drainage holes are clear.

The only thing on the roof of the Golf was a slightly raised profile about 1-2 inches wide producing a 'ridge' along each side of the roof. This was to replace the old style gutters to reduce drag and wind noise, but these were not as effective as the old gutters and water could still run over the edge of the roof, and could lead to drips on to the seat when the doors were opened. A small amount might get past the door edge rubbers but that would not get inside the door.
Ordered 22/06/18

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:31 pm

I believe this is the air conditioning.
After parking mine today I noticed the water and took a look underneath, the water had travelled back up the plastic under tray which made it drip further back (middle of the drivers door).

Admittedly the puddle was closer to the middle of the car but your driveway may run off to the drivers side slightly ie gravity. 🤷‍♂️
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.