Steering/Braking noise..

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Justas

Re: Steering/Braking noise..

Post by Justas » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Thank you all for the information. Giving you an update on my case:
- Yesterday based on the principle that a picture is worth a thousand words I made a 3-minute video with T-Roc mooing (https://youtu.be/4dej19LOtxk). After that, I wrote a letter to a dealer, included links to forums and my video, asked for any information regarding this issue.
- Today I got a call from the dealer. No more questions asked. Brake pads were changed under warranty and as of this moment, mooing has stopped.
Justas
T-Roc | R-Line (ext) | White Silver - Black
2.0TDI 150H DSG
Beats, Panoramic sunroof, 18-inch alloy wheels, Active Information Display, DCC, LED lights, Heated multifunction steering wheel, Discover Media, Keyless Access...

twist

Post by twist » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Justas wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:26 pm
Thank you all for the information. Giving you an update on my case:
- Yesterday based on the principle that a picture is worth a thousand words I made a 3-minute video with T-Roc mooing (https://youtu.be/4dej19LOtxk). After that, I wrote a letter to a dealer, included links to forums and my video, asked for any information regarding this issue.
- Today I got a call from the dealer. No more questions asked. Brake pads were changed under warranty and as of this moment, mooing has stopped.
It pisses me off that this is the extent customers have to go to just to get a well-known fault fixed.

Look at what us Roo sufferers have gone through too. VW really are a terrible company for customer service. In fairness, I hear it’s all the German brands.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:08 am

I’ve had the rear brake mooing noise when reversing for 3-4 weeks now so decided to call in at the dealers to get a technician to confirm the fault, it’s booked in for rear pad change under warranty as it’s only 3 months old, he mentioned the replacement pads are a different type so hopefully will cure this known problem.
Whatever happened to rigorous vehicle testing before a new model is released or don’t vehicle manufacturers do this this any more, I think I’ve answered my own question, this particular applies to the cars with the Roo fault.
Ordered R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey 11/03/19
Built wk 34 and in transit 23/08/19
Arrived at the UK Port. 11/09/19
Due for collection 23/09/19

twist

Post by twist » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:37 am

Ian91 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:08 am
I’ve had the rear brake mooing noise when reversing for 3-4 weeks now so decided to call in at the dealers to get a technician to confirm the fault, it’s booked in for rear pad change under warranty as it’s only 3 months old, he mentioned the replacement pads are a different type so hopefully will cure this known problem.
Whatever happened to rigorous vehicle testing before a new model is released or don’t vehicle manufacturers do this this any more, I think I’ve answered my own question, this particular applies to the cars with the Roo fault.
It’s much more cost-effective for manufacturers to keep using the problematic parts until they run out. Most customers will just put up with the noise.

VW have become notorious for this. BMW as well.

As for the roo: nobody at VAG will admit to it but I guarantee this was a known problem before release, they just didn’t want to have to redesign whatever was wrong. But then it became clear that too many people were noticing/complaining and VW seems to have ended up having to redesign it anyway since the software updates have produced a mixed bag of results.

I personally hope an investigation will be done to reveal the truth but that’s unlikely at this point unless the problem causes a serious accident.
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:21 pm

Car went in today 20 Dec 19 for rear break pad replacement to solve mooing noise when reversing, so far the noise has gone, will update over the next couple of weeks, if any other owners have the problem it’s probably worth recording a sound file on your phone as evidence when you go to the dealership.
Ordered R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey 11/03/19
Built wk 34 and in transit 23/08/19
Arrived at the UK Port. 11/09/19
Due for collection 23/09/19

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:53 pm

Ian91 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:21 pm
Car went in today 20 Dec 19 for rear break pad replacement to solve mooing noise when reversing, so far the noise has gone, will update over the next couple of weeks, if any other owners have the problem it’s probably worth recording a sound file on your phone as evidence when you go to the dealership.
I reckon you’ll be ok with the pads changed.

The sound file tip is a good idea; just as Justas did above; it puts things beyond argument if a dealer is less than helpful. To be fair, in the main, I think if you complain about mooing they do replace the pads without too much fuss.

northernrock

Post by northernrock » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:15 am

Update on this from mine: Could never replicate the noise at the dealership but, randomly, it did go away completely after around 8,000 miles
1.5 SE

Swsgm30

Post by Swsgm30 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:02 am

T Roo wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:53 pm
Ian91 wrote:

The sound file tip is a good idea; just as Justas did above; it puts things beyond argument if a dealer is less than helpful. To be fair, in the main, I think if you complain about mooing they do replace the pads without too much fuss.
During my first service at the end of Feb I had new rear pads fitted for very slight mooing (dealer did not put up a fight) and I've just had them renewed again today for the same problem (only worse) :!: :!: Dealer was confident they've solved it this time as the part number of the 'old' pads were known to cause the problem e.g. 1234xxA now they've fitted 1234xxB which should solve it. (don't go in asking for those part numbers - I made them up - honest ;) ;) )
I told him I'll see him next month ;) :lol: :lol:
1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
Manual Box
Pure White/Black Roof (Wrapped)
Winter Pack, Reverse Camera
F/R mudflaps, keyless entry
Delivered - 1st March 2019
:D :D :D :D :D

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:40 pm

Swsgm30 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:02 am
T Roo wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:53 pm
Ian91 wrote:

During my first service at the end of Feb I had new rear pads fitted for very slight mooing (dealer did not put up a fight) and I've just had them renewed again today for the same problem (only worse) :!: :!: Dealer was confident they've solved it this time as the part number of the 'old' pads were known to cause the problem e.g. 1234xxA now they've fitted 1234xxB which should solve it. (don't go in asking for those part numbers - I made them up - honest ;) ;) )
I told him I'll see him next month ;) :lol: :lol:
I wonder if things worked out for Ian91?

JAMCT

Post by JAMCT » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:32 pm

Booked my car in for it's 2nd service on 1st September and requested they looked into the Break Noise [Mooning] problem when in reverse.

Service completed on 1st but Inchcape Manchester confirmed that the rear brake pads were 'faulty'. They kept the car in overnight awaiting delivery of new brake pads and then completed the work today.

Car now reversing without any noise, :)

Footnote.
When collecting the car, VW Inchcape, Manchester, offed me a new 2 year Service Contract at a 'special ' SEPTEMBER' price of £441 compared to the estimate on-demand price of £647.70 (at todays fixed charges) for:
1 minor service £184
1 major service £354
2 MOTs @ £54.85each

Saving of £206.70, a bargain me thinks :mrgreen: so I signed up as I've got spare cash burning a hole in my pocket due to the Covid lockdown ;)
T-Roc 1.5 TSI Design, (KANGAROO FREE)
Ravenna Blue, Black Roof/Door Mirrors, Silver Roof rails
Ravenna Blue dashpads
LED H'lights/Irregular Hexagon :ugeek: Running Lights
RearView Camera
Park Assist
Electric Tailgate
17" Mayfield Black Alloys