Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Air filter change

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Impala 
#1 ·
How easy is it to change the air filter on the 1.0 TSI? I'm looking to install a re-useable K&N (like I have on previous cars) and, whilst I've only had a quick look under the bonnet, it looks like you have to completely take apart the air box incl. the breather pipe. Is this right? I'm hoping there's an easier way as the bolts seem to be underneath the box and not very accessible.

#2 ·
Is a commune thing on VW SUV, the same as Tiguan, just a few philips screws to take the cover, part of the induction piping, and disconnect the AFS (Air Flow Sensor).

Anyone try a external air filter for the Roc? I was wandering if you are able to listen a little of induction noise at least, not any performance though...

#3 ·
Just a bit of advice here if I may - washable air filters in general, including K&N will never improve engine performance. You have to clean it regularly and no matter how carefully you wash it it'll never have the specs of a new, clean air filter.
Original VW air filter costs about 10-20eur and are to be changed yearly so I can't see a real benefit here. Only adds more hassle to the owner and the engine too.
K&N have a great marketing strategy though.

#4 ·
adam11 said:
Just a bit of advice here if I may - washable air filters in general, including K&N will never improve engine performance. You have to clean it regularly and no matter how carefully you wash it it'll never have the specs of a new, clean air filter.
Original VW air filter costs about 10-20eur and are to be changed yearly so I can't see a real benefit here. Only adds more hassle to the owner and the engine too.
K&N have a great marketing strategy though.
Totally Agree with you, I use to have a Green filter on my firs car, just for induction noise, and a K&N on the last ones, also for the induction noises, but never feel a increase of performance, and as you say it add the down side that you have to wait the filter to dry every time you clean it.

#5 ·
I dont like the oiled air filters as the mass airflow sensor is always fairly close to the air filter and small amounts of oil can make their way onto the mass airflow sensor which can cause problems. It's not worth the risk.
I had the first K&N air filter in the U.K. tested by K&N on my new XR3I my tyres were nearly bald by the time he was willing to give up on the extra 2 BHP that showed up sporadically during the runs but the operator said it wasn't solid, so in effect the K&N made no difference at all.
From what I've seen on the service schedules the air filter is only changed every 4 years or 2 if you live in a very dusty area or country.

#6 ·
Well that makes your post timely, as it is 3 years since the last post to this topic :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.