Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
AV82
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield West Midlands
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Post by AV82 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:19 pm

I did consider retro-fitting a camera and a I found a specialist company in Dorset that will retro-fit one using OE parts to replace the rear boot handle, connect the kit to the screen and set up for about £500. However, to be honest I have not been unhappy with the visuals and sensor system fitted and not pursued it.
1.5TSI 150ps petrol EVO R-Line 7spd DSG White Silver Black Roof 2018 R-Line signature trim.

User avatar
brid
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:47 pm
Location: Alicante Spain
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Post by brid » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:31 pm

There is company called Autologics which fits rear cameras to Mercedes, BMW and Audi, they do navy systems, heated seats and much more. I had a camera sent from the UK from them for a merc and it was just plug and play but they also do at your home installation.
If they do Audi maybe they do VW I do not know. Worth a phone call maybe. From my invoice there is Tel number, 01565 655 263 with an email of info@autologics.co.uk.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

AV82
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:28 pm
Location: Sutton Coldfield West Midlands
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Post by AV82 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:46 pm

brid, yes they can be. self fitted via plug and play but if you want the factory fitted equivalent then that requires the boot card, rear badge to be replaced with the motor lift when reverse is engaged and rear bumper removed to access wiring. Not saying other systems aren't as good but I think ascetically the OE looks best.
1.5TSI 150ps petrol EVO R-Line 7spd DSG White Silver Black Roof 2018 R-Line signature trim.

User avatar
brid
Posts: 206
Joined: Fri May 04, 2018 6:47 pm
Location: Alicante Spain
Has thanked: 18 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Post by brid » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:10 am

AV82 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:46 pm
brid, yes they can be. self fitted via plug and play but if you want the factory fitted equivalent then that requires the boot card, rear badge to be replaced with the motor lift when reverse is engaged and rear bumper removed to access wiring. Not saying other systems aren't as good but I think ascetically the OE looks best.
I am no au fait with just what the T Roc would require and my note was just informative and to give the enquirers a point of contact.
A quick phone call will resolve and maybe someone could inform the members yes/no.
I really don't know if they even touch VW units as I am sure the handle, badge ,camera would be a more interesting problem to solve so as to maintain the "look" as I agree, that would be best.
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

User avatar
jasonthew
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Re: Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Post by jasonthew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Hi, having had a rear viiew cam on my 09 Golf GTD, Mrs has insisted on them each time I have updated my cars since. Not been a problem for the dealer to fit, 15 Golf GTD estate & TROC, although understand the TROC was more straight forward :-) and works fine.

Though still find it funny the amount of times I still get stopped by people telling me the VW badge is flipped up when in carparks.......
T-Roc R-Line MY19 1.5 litre TSI 150ps 5 door Manual 2wd
Indium Grey Metallic
Rear Cam

Impala
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 291 times

Re: Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Post by Impala » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:33 pm

Hi Jason, there is a separate topic in the main discussion area which was initially about the ride quality of SEL on 18" rims and low (50) profile tyres. Off topic here, but how do you find the ride on the R-Line with its 19" rims and 40 profile tyres ? Maybe post your reply in that other topic please.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

ste-roc
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:04 pm
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Post by ste-roc » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:58 am

jasonthew wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:57 pm
Hi, having had a rear viiew cam on my 09 Golf GTD, Mrs has insisted on them each time I have updated my cars since. Not been a problem for the dealer to fit, 15 Golf GTD estate & TROC, although understand the TROC was more straight forward :-) and works fine.

Though still find it funny the amount of times I still get stopped by people telling me the VW badge is flipped up when in carparks.......
Hi jasonthew.

We were told (by someone at head office) that our dealer was unable to retro fit the reversing camera and doing so would invalidate the warranty. Did your dealer mention anything about the warranty?

Thanks

Ste
1.5 TSI DSG SE
Urano Grey
Ordered 30/12/2018
Build Week - 28/02/19
Build completed - 13/02/19
Collected - 15/03/19

mvk
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:28 pm
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Post by mvk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:55 am

My dealer told me it was a waste of time and money. She got on better with the normal beeps from the back and front sensors, than looking at the radio to see the picture behind, while parking. Retro fitting would be in the tune of £475. I also asked about having the VOICE button working and that would cost £200 also she said that she only ever used it once on a car she had as her personal car, and she didn't think it was something that anyone would use very often.

I am still left wondering about both.

What do you all think to that please?
1.0 TSI SE Special solid - Pure white

Impala
Posts: 917
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 291 times

Re: Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Post by Impala » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:38 am

mvk wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:55 am
My dealer told me it was a waste of time and money. She got on better with the normal beeps from the back and front sensors, than looking at the radio to see the picture behind, while parking. Retro fitting would be in the tune of £475. I also asked about having the VOICE button working and that would cost £200 also she said that she only ever used it once on a car she had as her personal car, and she didn't think it was something that anyone would use very often.

I am still left wondering about both.

What do you all think to that please?
Hi mvk,

I've had rear view camera on my golf for past 5 years and wouldn't be without it. The view out the back of the T-Roc is not bad compared to some of its rival SUVs, but it is not as good as the Golf, which for me makes the camera even better. When I got my Golf, the camera was a similar price to the T-Roc today, but after a year or two the price on the Golf increased quite a lot, so today's price of £175 on the T-Roc is to my mind good value.

I've never had VOICE, and frankly don't fancy it. If it is not 100% accurate, then it becomes a distraction. Voice activation is standard on the SEL and R-Line, but I doubt if I'll use it. It is £195 to add to the other trims,, so that money would be better spent on the camera.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

User avatar
jasonthew
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Re: Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Post by jasonthew » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi Ste, no mention of Warranty Invalidation from my dealer. Retailer Option on the order form, so can't understand how having cam fitted by the supplying dealer would invalidate any warranty claim.
Cheers,
Jason
T-Roc R-Line MY19 1.5 litre TSI 150ps 5 door Manual 2wd
Indium Grey Metallic
Rear Cam

Post Reply