Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
ste-roc

Re: Retro fitting rear view camera to 2.0 sel 4 motion dsg

Post by ste-roc » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Thanks Jason, I don't understand it either.

Hopefully picking the car up on Friday so I am going to see what the dealer can do.
1.5 TSI DSG SE
Urano Grey
Ordered 30/12/2018
Build Week - 28/02/19
Build completed - 13/02/19
Collected - 15/03/19

rahul656

Post by rahul656 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:02 am

I have ordered my Troc this week. The one in stock did not have rear view camera so dealer is going to retrofit in the badge , same like the factory fitted one. I did ask him specifically if it would void the warranty and he said no it would not and camera will also have the three years warranty same as the car.
I have ordered TROC 1.5 TSI EVO DSG SE trim, pearl black color, upgraded with matching 18 inch alloy wheels and retro fitted rear view camera.

After reading the review here if the camera is fitted just above the number plate and its visibility limitation, i asked dealer to fit it in badge like factory fitted one. Will update here once i pick up my car next week.

rahul656

Post by rahul656 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:20 pm

Update :- I just got a call from my dealer that they could not retrofit the camera as he said that the part is not available. I had just spoken to him yesterday and he said that they are going to install the camera today. Not sure why he took so much time to tell me that the part is not available. . My guess is that they tried to install the camera but they could not and they have requested a new part to fit it at later date. He advised me to take the delivery and come back later when the part is available. I am not sure if its the right to take delivery with dealer option to be installed later ? I think i am just going to delay the delivery till they figure out the camera installation in the car as my wife definitely wants the car with the rear view camera.

I think if somebody definitely wants the camera, should go for factory fitted one as it does not seem to be an easy task to retrofit it later as it looks with my dealer at least.

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:41 pm

rahul656 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:20 pm
Update :- I just got a call from my dealer that they could not retrofit the camera as he said that the part is not available. I had just spoken to him yesterday and he said that they are going to install the camera today. Not sure why he took so much time to tell me that the part is not available. . My guess is that they tried to install the camera but they could not and they have requested a new part to fit it at later date. He advised me to take the delivery and come back later when the part is available. I am not sure if its the right to take delivery with dealer option to be installed later ? I think i am just going to delay the delivery till they figure out the camera installation in the car as my wife definitely wants the car with the rear view camera.

I think if somebody definitely wants the camera, should go for factory fitted one as it does not seem to be an easy task to retrofit it later as it looks with my dealer at least.
That's disappointing rahul656.

I'm not sure why you want to delay delivery though. Are you thinking of cancellation if they can't supply/fit the camera ? If not, then why not just withold the cost of the camera+fitting and push them to do it asap.

The car still has the full parking sensors, so living without the camera for a couple of weeks isn't a great risk.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

rahul656

Post by rahul656 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:13 pm

Waiting for a camera is fine . I actually added the camera to be retrofitted later on my wife's ask. I am just worried if they keep dragging it further and if i take the delivery i would be kind of signing off that they have supplied the goods as in order form.

I spoke to my dealer just now and asked him to be clear and frank in the conversation and now he said that they actually tried to fit Tiguan camera to the car but later found that it actually cant be fitted , so ordered the right one for TROC. Not sure, the way they have been communicating does not feel right to me. They have not been very clear in their conversation giving different answers at different times.

I am anyway visiting them tomorrow, will have a look at the car and if everything feels right i will pick it up and will demand to give me in writing that camera is missing and they will install it later next week.

I think i sound little nervous and i suppose its down to my first brand new car purchase.

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Quite right ... paying so much for something which will be your pride and joy, it is natural that you want everything to be perfect, especially after the conversations you've had with the dealer.
Ordered 22/06/18

Mikesroc

Post by Mikesroc » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:06 am

I had one fitted This week. It is possible, ‘Advanced in car technology’ used all genuine VW parts so it cannot affect the VW warranty, and they provide their own 2 year warranty on top. It’s a highline camera and works really well, super sharp hd image and works well in the dark.

rahul656

Post by rahul656 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:35 am

Just an update. I had the camera fitted today. It was the third party installer working on behalf of the dealer who installed the volkswagen genuine rear view camera as they say it. It seems fine. I would really appreciate if somebody can share the picture of their rear view camera display so just to compare the picture quality with mine. For me the picture quality does not seems to be right what i would expect from the Volkswagen camera.

I took the delivery on 29th March. I love the car and its great. Loving the fact that i dont have to change the gears anymore :) . Pearl black looks great but it needs more attention cleaning it as black colour makes dust and water marks more visible.

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:34 am

rahul656 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:35 am
Just an update. I had the camera fitted today. It was the third party installer working on behalf of the dealer who installed the volkswagen genuine rear view camera as they say it. It seems fine. I would really appreciate if somebody can share the picture of their rear view camera display so just to compare the picture quality with mine. For me the picture quality does not seems to be right what i would expect from the Volkswagen camera.

I took the delivery on 29th March. I love the car and its great. Loving the fact that i dont have to change the gears anymore :) . Pearl black looks great but it needs more attention cleaning it as black colour makes dust and water marks more visible.
Helen657 posted some photos, one of which was her camera dsiplay.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1044
Ordered 22/06/18

mvk

Post by mvk » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:38 pm

That looks like the screen markings from the camera are not dynamic on the one that is in your picture, or can you change to different views? When I asked the dealer while making enquiries about having a reversing camera fitted. The dealer said they are not allowed to as there is not a kit available from VW as yet for the T-roc. At first ,there also was not a kit for the Tiguan, but one came along later.

I have found one company who fits them, spoken of on here but the one you seem have (none Dynamic) is about £700 fitted and the Dynamic one is about £900 or there abouts, fitted at your home.
Strange that, as when I first spoke to the sales person after I took delivery about this subject I was told fitting would be no problem and it would be £429, so some one is talking rubbish. I am going to ask the sales manager,to get to the bottom of this, I hate being fobbed off.
1.0 TSI SE Special solid - Pure white