Keyless Entry exploit?

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
JamesUK382

Keyless Entry exploit?

Post by JamesUK382 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:06 am

Hey all,

I saw on the Tiguan forums that there was some scare about cars with Keyless Entry being a prime target for thieves with a "car relay" hack. They stand outside your home with a receiver, listen and grab the code your key fob gives off, gain entry to your car and then drive away. In less than two minutes.

https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3090

My question is, has VW put in any measures with the T-Roc (with keyless entry) to prevent such an exploit happening? Haven't been able to find any statement from VW about this issue, but might be my bad googling. Kind of has me worried :shock:

JAMCT

Re: Keyless Entry exploit?

Post by JAMCT » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:52 am

Minimise the risk by keeping your car keys in a 'FARADAY CAGE' enclosure used for blocking electro-magmetic fields.

Either buy a special 'key-pouch' from retailers such as Amazon viz

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... qxs2ue8w_e

OR

Make your own using for example, a boiled-sweet tin, lined with some aluminium foil.

Store away from your front door.

Hope that eases your worries.

NB. I loved physics at school :geek:
T-Roc 1.5 TSI Evo 150ps Design, (KANGAROO FREE)
Ravenna Blue, Black Roof/Door Mirrors, Silver Roof rails
Ravenna Blue Cloth/dashpad
LED Headlights/Running Lights
RearView Camera
Park Assist
Electric Tailgate
17" Mayfield Black Alloys

mvk

Post by mvk » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:49 am

A neighbour near one of my daughters had her new car stolen off the drive. The car in question was a Ford and was less than a week old. very upsetting.
There is no way I would want keyless entry at any price even for £0.01. If the T-roc had it on I would be asking for it to be disabled somehow, I just don't see the point in it.
1.0 TSI SE Special solid - Pure white

hugger

Post by hugger » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:20 pm

mvk wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:49 am
A neighbour near one of my daughters had her new car stolen off the drive. The car in question was a Ford and was less than a week old. very upsetting.
There is no way I would want keyless entry at any price even for £0.01. If the T-roc had it on I would be asking for it to be disabled somehow, I just don't see the point in it.
I can't believe a premium brand such as VW are still charging £375 for keyless entry, do they not realise it's 2018? Both my current Kia and my other halfs Mini have it as standard, I joked with the salesman that it was like going back in time and how quaint it was having to put a key in the ignition.
T-Roc 1.6 TDi R Line
Ravenna Blue, Black Roof

Mackemsteve

Post by Mackemsteve » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:36 pm

I've also no desire for keyless entry, though I did like the keyless starting that my last car had.
1.0 TSi Design
Turmeric Yellow & Black
Front, Rear, Side, Park & High Beam Assist.
LED Headlights, Fog Lights.
Active Info Display, Winter Pack.
Beats Audio.
Ordered 28/03/2018 - Collected 11/06/2018

JamesUK382

Post by JamesUK382 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:10 am

JAMCT wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:52 am
Minimise the risk by keeping your car keys in a 'FARADAY CAGE' enclosure used for blocking electro-magmetic fields.

Either buy a special 'key-pouch' from retailers such as Amazon viz

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&key ... qxs2ue8w_e

OR

Make your own using for example, a boiled-sweet tin, lined with some aluminium foil.
That's a really good idea. I'll be sure to look into it. Better safe than sorry. Thank you!

claireb

Post by claireb » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 am

I have this on my Golf but keep my keys in an RFID pouch (£9.99 from Amazon for 2). I haven’t ordered keyless on the T-Roc as my neighbours Merc was taken by the thieves using an electronic device.

My opinion, safer with a key!
T-ROC R-Line 1.5, white with black roof, park assist, rear camera, beats, DCC, ordered 03/08, build week 01/10, status 5a 25/10, status 6 07/11, status 7 14/11, collected 22nd November 2018 :D

JamesUK382

Post by JamesUK382 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:32 am

Super petty request here.. Is there a reputable box version of a RFID pouch? I can't help but feel that opening and closing the lid of a box is a lot less fiddly than closing a pouch to line up the hook and loop.

Again, super picky first world problem hahaha!!

Negativepitch

Post by Negativepitch » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:48 am

I personally think that if they really want it they will get it anyway.
I know it sounds stupid and doesn't really help at the time, but that's one of the reasons why you pay insurance.

mvk

Post by mvk » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:01 am

You still end up paying in the long run, you have excess, voluntary excess, and next years premium to look forward to as well. apart from various bits and pieces, you keep in the car you forgot to put on your claim form. The insurance company will always win in the end. Also what about car hire for the period after you find out that your new car will take six to nine months from order to delivery?
Reduce the risk by not having keyless entry.
1.0 TSI SE Special solid - Pure white