Start stop on 1.5 DSG.

Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Impala

Re: Start stop on 1.5 DSG.

Post by Impala » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:37 am

I understand your reasoning Hawkeye. The problem is that start/stop should really only be for urban use and cars sitting in stationary queues at traffic light or road works etc. so as to cut emissions. It's a pity that they haven't included anything to determine the type of conditions, as clearly comming down from 70mph to a roundabout is vastly different to pottering along at 20 mph in stop go traffic. They seem to have adopted a one size fits all approach without much thought.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Patagonian

Post by Patagonian » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:46 am

I've just spoken to Volkswagen UK about this.
Rolling start/stop was introduced in MY17 and it cuts in at 7mph, I'm sure you can guess this is all about squeezing a little bit more from every gallon of fuel.
What I did find interesting is that this is an "ongoing development" and current cars have had the cutoff raised again. That might explain why the question has been raised on this forum because it's more noticeable now than it used to be.
As we have both 17 and 19 model years I'll try and borrow the T-roc and do a comparison.

I like the stop/start option IN THE RIGHT CIRCUMSTANCES but I wish it was reversed so that I turned it on when required. Unfortunately VCDS only allows you the option of disabling it completely.

As for coming to a halt after a long journey the aux cooling pump should help cover the turbo cooling issue but I'd feel happier if oil was running through the bearings. However thanks to another fuel saving measure all the time you were doing 70 on the motorway the oil psi is probably down around 25psi anyway - I vaguely recall it doesn't rise until 3000rpm?
Design 1.5TSi DSG
White Silver with Black Roof
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Barnaclebob

Post by Barnaclebob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:10 am

I'm with Hawkeye on this - particularly when you come to a stop after cruising on a motorway! For the engine to cut out after such conditions is a recipe for disaster! This happened to me on my first run out in my new car... I immediately thought that it is just plain wrong and not a good idea from a thermal point of view. In fact, after any decent run, I let the car run for a couple of minutes before stopping the engine... Heat sinks, deposits from hot oil surfaces are few things that come to mind... I know some clever people will say that it's alright with modern synthetic oils because you can't get any build up of carbon deposits (no hydrocarbons - hence "synthetic") but, from a good practice point of view, you should let the engine "cool down" before stopping.
To let the auto cut-out operate is fine during normal in-town driving (particularly at traffic lights) but even then, just before I estimate that the lights are about to change, I start the engine again by holding on the footbrake and, using my heel, press on the accelerator. Either that or just relieving the pressure on the footbrake a little - but the "heel and toe" method is safer. In continuous stop/start traffic I just switch the system off. It all makes sense.
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:27 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:56 am
Personally though I hate start/stop, and it’s one of the first things I switch off when starting the car...
Absolutely agree. I do the same. I may leave it on now and again if the traffic conditions warrant it but generally I find it annoying when the car switches the engine off.

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Is the system on the T-Roc different to that on Mk7 Golf ?

On my Golf DSG, all I have to do is remove my foot from the brake pedal as soon as the green dash indicator has lit. That prevents the Start/Stop, but if I keep my foot on the brake pedal the engine will stop (if the other conditions ar met). So using my foot means I don't have to fiddle with the console button.

I'l be disappointed if I find it is different when my car arrives.
Ordered 22/06/18

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:13 pm

Impala wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:45 pm

On my Golf DSG, all I have to do is remove my foot from the brake pedal as soon as the green dash indicator has lit. That prevents the Start/Stop, but if I keep my foot on the brake pedal the engine will stop (if the other conditions ar met). So using my foot means I don't have to fiddle with the console button.

No, no difference, and I agree light footed braking will prevent start/stop. However I would say it’s a little more sensitive than what I’ve previously experienced with my Audi’s, so switching it off means I don’t have to worry how hard I do/don’t brake or whether stop/start may or may not cut in.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:58 pm

I don’t think it’s normal the engine should NOT stop while the car is moving.
The driver should have control over the car but this just shuts down on it’s own.
As you say there’s a delay before power is restored that’s an accident waiting to happen.

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:59 pm

Impala wrote:

I have a mk7 golf and as you say if you come to a halt and take your foot off the brake the engine stays running.
If you keep your foot on the brake it stops.
My golf is also a DSG auto box.
I feel I have control, but the t.roc system shuts down before the car has come to a stop so NO control.
I turn it off now as it’s a pain in the troc,

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:59 pm
Impala wrote:

I have a mk7 golf and as you say if you come to a halt and take your foot off the brake the engine stays running.
I feel I have control, but the t.roc system shuts down before the car has come to a stop so NO control.
I've had my Golf 1.4 DSG for 5 years and that's how it has behaved for nearly all of that time. I said nearly, because I feel that it has changed since my last service a couple of weeks ago, and it now is more like what is being described for the T-Roc. I've noticed it stopping more often and it is harder to time the brake pedal.

I'm wondering if VW have applied a software update during the service.
Ordered 22/06/18

Newtroconthebloc

Post by Newtroconthebloc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:59 pm

Impala wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:37 pm
Clubchamp98 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:59 pm
Impala wrote:

I've had my Golf 1.4 DSG for 5 years and that's how it has behaved for nearly all of that time. I said nearly, because I feel that it has changed since my last service a couple of weeks ago, and it now is more like what is being described for the T-Roc. I've noticed it stopping more often and it is harder to time the brake pedal.

I'm wondering if VW have applied a software update during the service.
Oh, they’ve got software updates for that then !
One that nobody wants ?
1.5 SEL Petrol Manual Ravenna blue Sport pack power tailgate park assist reverse camera lumbar support (ordered 11 06 18) build w/c 1/10/18|at the dealers |collecting Thursday 3rd January 19.