Faults and Technical chat for the Volkswagen T-Roc
Ian J

Re: Adaptive cruise control

Post by Ian J » Fri May 03, 2019 8:28 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:08 pm
twist wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:37 pm
I assume the speed limiter can be overridden if the car detects you’re actually trying to go faster, like putting your foot down?
No it can’t - you set the maximum speed you want to go to and no matter how much you press the accelerator it won’t go any faster than the max speed you have set.

One feature I will never use. Can’t see any use for it or point of it.
I'm sure if you put your foot down the car will speed up and then when you slow down it will return to the set speed
T-Roc 1.5 SE Ravenna Blue - Ordered 11/02/18 - Build week 26/03/18 - In Transit 11/04/18 - Collected 30/04/18 :D

Newtroconthebloc

Post by Newtroconthebloc » Fri May 03, 2019 8:31 pm

Ian J wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:28 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:08 pm
twist wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:37 pm
I assume the speed limiter can be overridden if the car detects you’re actually trying to go faster, like putting your foot down?
No it can’t - you set the maximum speed you want to go to and no matter how much you press the accelerator it won’t go any faster than the max speed you have set.

One feature I will never use. Can’t see any use for it or point of it.
I'm sure if you put your foot down the car will speed up and then when you slow down it will return to the set speed
It will, but, as explained earlier, you have to boot it !
1.5 SEL Petrol Manual Ravenna blue Sport pack power tailgate park assist reverse camera lumbar support (ordered 11 06 18) build w/c 1/10/18|at the dealers |collecting Thursday 3rd January 19.

CJD

Post by CJD » Sat May 04, 2019 9:44 pm

The speed limiter can be overridden. I’ve done it in my 1.5 SEL though you do literally have to stamp your foot & bury it through the carpet. A moderate push on the throttle & it holds the speed selected, a full stamp & after about a 1 second delay it lurches into life ( this causes the speed limiter to disengage & you need to press resume if you wish to continue at the limited speed). I’ve also noticed that with ACC & the digital dash you can accelerate past the set speed but the speedo has a red line around the outside that increases beyond the set speed to tell you that you’ve exceeded your pre set speed

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sun May 05, 2019 8:06 am

Still can’t see the point of it when one has ACC. When would one use the speed limiter in preference? With ACC you set the speed and can easily accelerate past that speed if needs be and then easily return to the speed you set.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

twist

Post by twist » Sun May 05, 2019 9:49 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:06 am
Still can’t see the point of it when one has ACC. When would one use the speed limiter in preference? With ACC you set the speed and can easily accelerate past that speed if needs be and then easily return to the speed you set.
I think speed limiter is more for city driving where you’re adjusting your speed a lot whereas ACC is for long motorway stretches.
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, assist pack plus, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Stage 3: 17/05/19
Build week (confirmed): 17/06/19
Left Factory (5a): 12/06/19 (1 week early)
Arrived in UK: 23/06/19
Picking up 01/07/19!!

Impala

Post by Impala » Sun May 05, 2019 4:07 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:06 am
I agree with Twist.

The speed limiter means that the driver controls the speed when below the set limit. With the ACC, the speed is controlled by the gap to the vehicle in front, slowing and speeding up as needed. You either have to trust this or over-ride by constantly using Cancel or braking then Resume. So there is a difference between the two.

If there is only light traffic, moving fairly freely, then the ACC approach is OK. However, in heavier and slower moving traffic it is probably better/safer for the driver to have more control, with the added advantage of knowing that the set speed will not be exceeded.

Having said that, I personally have only used speed limiter on a couple of occasions, preferring instead to just Cancel or completely switch off the ACC in order to take full manual control until the traffic conditions favour the ACC again. This is also easier and less distracting than switching between modes. I suppose if you spent long periods in a 30 mph zone, then you could set the speed limit mode and just leave it there.

But since any of these three methods can achieve the same result, it comes down to personal choice and confidence. I prefer my judgement and anticipation to the ACC as by watching brake lights, indicators or traffic lights, I am able to see what the traffic is doing ahead of the car immediately in front and so can deliver a much smoother drive.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D