Sat Nav

All Volkswagen T-Roc R related discussions
TonyJ

Re: Sat Nav

Post by TonyJ » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:45 pm

I don't agree that the satnav should struggle with postcodes.

All my previous VWs have had no issue - although I agree that the postcode can span several houses.

Also, I've had old "standalone" TomTom satnavs, and they've handled them perfectly well.

I just think the new MIB3 unit has been underdeveloped and rushed out. There seems to be a lack of knowledge at the dealerships as well.

To answer your question, then yes, the destination pin is in the right place, although this may or may not be on a road with a name - usually there is no name, so you have no visual confirmation that the postcode is sending you to the right place.
T-Roc R 2.0 TSI 4Motion 300PS 7-speed DSG 5 Door
Colour: Indium Grey
Upholstery: Flint Grey/Titanium Black

Ordered - 16/4/20
Built 21/9/20
Stage 5a - 22/9/20, Landed UK - 5/10/20
Stage 6 - 6/10/20, Stage 7 - 8/10/20
Delivered - 14/10/20

Impala

Post by Impala » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:19 pm

My own postcode has many more than just a few houses, in fact there may be as many as 20-30 along a length of road.

But what exactly do you want the SatNav to display for a postcode ?

If it gives a street name, how would you know that was correct unless you knew the area and recognise the street name, but if that was the case you would surely recognise the area on the map, or if you know the street name, then why not just enter that as the destination. Mine uses type ahead to offer various alternatives as you type, so you seldom have to enter the full street name. And even as it stands, when the destination pin appears on the map, all you have to do is zoom in to see the street name.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:14 pm

I've just tried entering various postcodes in different parts of the UK on my Mib2 SatNav unit.

None of them display a street name and they all show the destination pin actually off street (ie in the blank spaces between streets). Admittedly, it doesn't display a message saying offroad, but if I enter an invalid postcode I get a message saying it is not recognised.

I've used postcodes as destinations numerous times and never once considered anything was lacking and the route guidance worked perfectly every time. I could see from the map that it was taking me where expected.

Does it bother me or casue any problems without the street name - no, it doesn't. Maybe that's just me, but I can't understand the fuss.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D