First impressions T-Roc R

All Volkswagen T-Roc R related discussions
TonyJ

First impressions T-Roc R

Post by TonyJ » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:41 pm

With so many of us getting a new T-Roc R, I thought I'd share my first impressions after about 100 miles - I'd be interested if you agree or disagree ...

My previous car was a Golf GTD 7.5 manual, so that's my yardstick ...

Good points -
The car sticks to the road like it's on rails.
Great performance, although the DSG changes much more often than I would have done manually in my GTD
Comfortable seats and good general driving position
Very good instrument screen

Not so good points -
Some of the trim is very poor. Door armrests look like they have come from the most basic model.
No "carpet" in door bins so things rattle around more
Disappointing boot space (I know it's due to 4WD)
Totally awful sat nav. MUCH worse than older model. Graphics poor, very difficult to programme and navigate around. Postcodes not recognised (I think my 10 year old TomTom is better)
No SD car slots
Much harder ride than with GTD

Lots of other functions not even tried yet .....

Overall, driving the car is brilliant. I must admit though that I am disappointed by the quality of some of the interior fixtures and fittings on what is, after all, the top-of-the -range model.
But perhaps the R model is all about the driving ......
T-Roc R 2.0 TSI 4Motion 300PS 7-speed DSG 5 Door
Colour: Indium Grey
Upholstery: Flint Grey/Titanium Black

Ordered - 16/4/20
Built 21/9/20
Stage 5a - 22/9/20, Landed UK - 5/10/20
Stage 6 - 6/10/20, Stage 7 - 8/10/20
Delivered - 14/10/20

twist

Re: First impressions T-Roc R

Post by twist » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:18 pm

If R was all about the driving then the Golf R would be cheap inside as well but it isn’t. It feels much more like you’ve got your money’s worth in one *and* it’s cheaper (I’m speaking about the MK7.5). In fact your GTD will have felt a lot nicer inside too.

We will see what the new Golf R is like but the T-Roc’s cheap materials and cost-cutting complaints have been echoed around this forum since day 1. It’s a lovely car, sadly let down by VW’s relentless greed.

As for the DSG box: I think that’s just par for the course with current ridiculous emissions regulations. Car manufacturers are having to gimp perfectly good equipment to meet unrealistic standards set by EU law. I’m all for cutting our CO2 emissions and so on but the way it’s being done is crazy. It’s ruining ICE cars for those of us who can’t afford (or cannot use due to practicality) electric cars yet.

Enjoy your R, I’m certainly jealous of the sound your exhaust makes compared to mine :lol:

Curious though: the Audi SQ2 is the same car underneath, same engine and performance, with better materials and a premium badge for less money. Did you consider it when you looked at the T-Roc R? In fairness the T-Roc R is a nicer looking car on the outside.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:56 pm

TonyJ wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:41 pm

Totally awful sat nav. MUCH worse than older model. Graphics poor, very difficult to programme and navigate around. Postcodes not recognised

I haven't found any problem using postcodes. Do you mean all postcodes or some specific ones ?
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

htpeargo

Post by htpeargo » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:16 am

Impala wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:56 pm
TonyJ wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:41 pm

Totally awful sat nav. MUCH worse than older model. Graphics poor, very difficult to programme and navigate around. Postcodes not recognised

I haven't found any problem using postcodes. Do you mean all postcodes or some specific ones ?
I cannot input postcodes either (Stafford and Norwich tried so far) Going to check downloads today. It appears to be a vw group wide problem with Mib3 Infotainment system
Ordered 18th July
Build date w/c 14 sept
Troc Sel
Winter Pack
Side assist
Park assist
Sports Pack
Rear View Camera
Lumber support
Picked up 15oct 20

Seal

Post by Seal » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:29 am

twist wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:18 pm

Curious though: the Audi SQ2 is the same car underneath, same engine and performance, with better materials and a premium badge for less money. Did you consider it when you looked at the T-Roc R? In fairness the T-Roc R is a nicer looking car on the outside.
it's all the same, only the dashboard is made of soft material, being cheaper is a market strategy because in most markets T-Roc is cheaper for example in France the T-Roc R the base price starts at € 48500 and the SQ2 at € 51000
T-Roc 1.5 TSI Evo 150ps
Yellow Turmeric, Black Roof/Door Mirrors, Silver Roof rails
LED Headlights/Running Lights
RearView Camera
Park Assist
Electric Tailgate
19'' wheels "Suzuka"

twist

Post by twist » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:09 am

Seal wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:29 am
twist wrote:

it's all the same, only the dashboard is made of soft material, being cheaper is a market strategy because in most markets T-Roc is cheaper for example in France the T-Roc R the base price starts at € 48500 and the SQ2 at € 51000
Ah but with the £900 interior pack it’s still cheaper *and* comes with full leather seats and a bunch of other premium touches. Yes there are still some crappy materials but in general it’s a much better car inside. That’s my point.

Also in the UK, Audi has always been marketed as the premium badge in the VAG gang, rivaling Mercedes and BMW. VW has always been a step below that and priced as such so I’m not sure why they changed that for a single model. You say it’s a marketing strategy but I don’t see it.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Seal

Post by Seal » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:46 pm

twist wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:09 am
Seal wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:29 am
twist wrote:

Ah but with the £900 interior pack it’s still cheaper *and* comes with full leather seats and a bunch of other premium touches. Yes there are still some crappy materials but in general it’s a much better car inside. That’s my point.

Also in the UK, Audi has always been marketed as the premium badge in the VAG gang, rivaling Mercedes and BMW. VW has always been a step below that and priced as such so I’m not sure why they changed that for a single model. You say it’s a marketing strategy but I don’t see it.
Despite being part of the VW group, Audi has certain freedoms than other brands in the group, it can be seen in the quality and inclusion of new gadgets for example in the Seat that is under the purview of Audi, currently the demand for the T-Roc is R or other versions are very high compared to Q2 so they enrich the versions and lower the price to sell more,marketing strategy it is my opinion
T-Roc 1.5 TSI Evo 150ps
Yellow Turmeric, Black Roof/Door Mirrors, Silver Roof rails
LED Headlights/Running Lights
RearView Camera
Park Assist
Electric Tailgate
19'' wheels "Suzuka"

aaron-troc-r

Post by aaron-troc-r » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:04 am

mine got delivered yesterday morning. have now set up the user accounts for me and the wife and each have the app on our phones. the we-connect has some nice features like remote unlock/lock and the function to pulse flash lights and toot horn if you can't find your car in the car park etc.

im impressed with the ride quality, pulls so strong as well. nice build quality despite the inferior plastics etc. very impressed so far
2020 T-Roc R 2.0 TSI 4Motion 300PS 7-speed DSG 5 Door
Colour: Pure White

Ordered - 06/04/2020
ETA to dealership - w/c 12th October

TonyJ

Post by TonyJ » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:29 am

aaron-troc-r wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:04 am
mine got delivered yesterday morning. have now set up the user accounts for me and the wife and each have the app on our phones. the we-connect has some nice features like remote unlock/lock and the function to pulse flash lights and toot horn if you can't find your car in the car park etc.

im impressed with the ride quality, pulls so strong as well. nice build quality despite the inferior plastics etc. very impressed so far
Does your satnav accept full postcodes, or does it say "Offroad"?
With mine, you enter the postcode, and all looks OK until the last digit - then it changes the destination to "offroad"

Sorry, but I'm a bit obsessed with this at the moment !!!

Thanks
T-Roc R 2.0 TSI 4Motion 300PS 7-speed DSG 5 Door
Colour: Indium Grey

Ordered - 16/4/20
Built 21/9/20
Stage 5a - 22/9/20, Landed UK - 5/10/20
Stage 6 - 6/10/20, Stage 7 - 8/10/20
Delivered - 14/10/20

aaron-troc-r

Post by aaron-troc-r » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:17 pm

not sure mate. haven't tried it. always use google maps through apple carplay tbh. in built navs are more often than not, a load of poop! i will try tomorrow and let you know however!
2020 T-Roc R 2.0 TSI 4Motion 300PS 7-speed DSG 5 Door
Colour: Pure White

Ordered - 06/04/2020
ETA to dealership - w/c 12th October