Sat Nav

All Volkswagen T-Roc R related discussions
mandyhughes2

Sat Nav

Post by mandyhughes2 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:06 pm

I have seen a few posts on Sat Nav - but cannot find an answer to my question. I had a 2017 Troc with satnav and have just purchased a 2021 version which should have been identical. However, it does not have sat nav. It has the Nav button top right as the previous troc, but it does not do anything - tells me to go to "shop". I have asked the dealer (Lisbon as I am based in Portugal) and they have said they cannot give me a price and I have to wait until 20th June to get it activated.

Does anyone have any idea of the approximate cost (UK cost is fine as it will be there or thereabouts). I cannot used the apple car play option as when my iphone does not have data access, I cannot put in a new destination. Tried for a week and it is driving me mad. also the map functionality is terrible compared with the troc one.

So, in summary, I have the right screen for sat nav, but not the actual functionality.

Any information much appreciated.

Deleted user 925

Re: Sat Nav

Post by Deleted user 925 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:31 pm

Sat nav can't be installed via the shop or dealership at the minute unless things have changed 🤷‍♂️
A customer in the UK bought a new T-Roc with sat nav added as a factory fitted option & it came without it.
The online shop didn't work and the dealership couldn't install it, the outcome was to order another new T-Roc for the customer.

Some owners on here wouldn't recommend installing the latest sat nav anyway because it has so many flaws.
Your old infotainment system was MIB2 the new one is MIB3 completely different.
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:16 pm

The hardware for Sat Nav is now present in all the latest cars (models & trim levels) but it is now activated through a 3rd party (the shop) where you effectively purchase a license/subscription. The brochures refer to this a Sat Nav Ready as opposed to cars with factory fitted Sat Nav specified at time of order or standard on higher trims levels.

I don't know if there are options to buy a license for 1, 2 or 3 years etc.

That's the theory, but as mentioned above the customer activation process doesn't seem to work and VW don't seem to know why. Could be the license codes, the activation software or perhaps the map data is not installed in the cars. That leads on to the other issue found by apparently everyone who has tried to update the map data according to the process published by VW - no one has been able to get this to work, including VW sales and workshop technicians.

As the same Sat Nav and subscription model is used across the VAG brands, I suggest before you rush to pay for the activation, you do a trawl of other forums to see if anyone there has had more success than those on this forum. Better to delay purchase rather than have the hassle of getting your money back after VW failed attempts to get it to work.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

mandyhughes2

Post by mandyhughes2 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:00 pm

Thank you so much both of you for your help. I really could not understand what the Portuguese dealer was saying. They are really helpful (" it is always a contagious joy to deliver a Volkswagen to our customers") but they were definitely waffling on this one. I shall wait for the moment and see what happens. Do either of you have any idea on the cost (assuming it eventually will work). I really liked the old one and will be sad that the new one is not as good, but the data aspect of using the iphone just doesn't work for me.

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:43 pm

I think most people preferred the old (Mib2) version. Not perfect but the new version seems to have been a backward step.

Try visiting the shop web site to see prices.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D