Re: Adverts

Post by vernerbongo2 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:27 pm

182_blue wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:19 pm
vernerbongo2 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:30 pm
182_blue wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:49 am

I don't mind adverts, it's the amount and size that's the issue, I am Admin on Forum and understand the costs of running a forum.

It's simply my my opinion, I'm not arguing with anyone about it, for me it's a fact that it can be overbearing.

Below is the view I get when I open up the homepage on my mobile, that's the whole page!
Can you share me the link for those Nike trainers with the red logo please, I quite like those 😍 much appreciated.
Did you find it, if you buy from Nike by the end of today you can get 30% of using the code NIKE30 👍
I hope you were being sarcastic because I was :lol: ;)
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

182_blue

Post by 182_blue » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:29 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:27 pm
182_blue wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:19 pm
vernerbongo2 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:30 pm

Can you share me the link for those Nike trainers with the red logo please, I quite like those 😍 much appreciated.
Did you find it, if you buy from Nike by the end of today you can get 30% of using the code NIKE30 👍
I hope you were being sarcastic because I was :lol: ;)
Erm yeh, sure
T-Roc 2.0 Tsi R 300bhp.
White with black roof.
Reverse camera.
Electric boot.
Plus all usual extras on the R.

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:35 pm

182_blue wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:31 am
Impala wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:12 pm
182_blue wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 9:24 pm

Not everone wants to use Firefox or a laptop unfortunately.
Not suggesting they do or should, but the issue is clearly to do with the platform being used to visit the site, rather than the site itself. If you are happy having adverts then that's your choice, but if not then look for another browser.
Are you saying it's platform I'm using creating these adverts and not the forum software?!

The platform (device + browser) doesn't create adverts, but a suitable browser can block them.

Most web pages consist of multiple elements often originating from different sources (URL's) to place images into the page displayed by the browser. The same process is used to insert ads.

On a PC/Laptop you can actually see the different addresses appear on the browser status bar as the various elements are loaded from their respective sites. Not only can ads be annoying and even intrusive, they also result in pages taking longer to load and use more of your data allowance.

I suspect the source code behind the forum, usually provided by a third party, contains various elements which allow/initiate the ads. For example, typical pages on the forum include this snippet of code ;

Code: Select all

<!-- Google Web Fonts -->
<link href='//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Open+Sans:300,400,600' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>

<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-54274357-46', 'auto');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>
As you say, such code is often part of a sponsorship deal providing funding for hosting the ads, which might be acceptable for sites with no other source of revenue.

You can block or minimise the number of ads by using browser add-ons or just configuring the settings and it is possible to block or allow ads for specific sites, so you can allow ads for forum sites and block them for commercial sites.

I have the Google Analytics Opt-out add-on in all my browsers and I also block all third-party, cross-site and social media cookies and everything for criteo.com (a major source of ads). I also use Firefox in Private Browsing mode, or the equivalent Incognito mode for Chrome, which delete cookies on exit.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I regard any form of tracking as an invasion of privacy, but that's what you get every time you click 'Accept our terms & conditions'.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Impala

Post by Impala » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:36 pm

I suggest everyone should read the Cookie and Privacy policies for the forum - the links are ot the bottom of every page.

This is what it says about Google Cookies ...

Google Cookies.jpg

1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D