Missing Discovery SAT Nav for new T-Roc

New to the Volkswagen T-Roc Forums? Introduce yourself here
twist

Re: Missing Discovery SAT Nav for new T-Roc

Post by twist » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:58 pm

AdeRocs wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:43 pm

I agree. I was in my previous TRoc driving from Canary Wharf in slow moving traffic on the A13. I had forgotten my phone at home that morning so there was no phone connected to
the car. A contact list came up and the first initial was my son’s so i thought he was calling me then I looked properly and realised it was not a call and also remembered I did not have my phone. Then I thought why is his contact list showing on my screen then I realise it’s not his contact list because he has never connected his phone to my car and was at Uni in Manchester anyway. Then I noticed the golf in the other lane scrolling on his own infotainment screen. I am in the TRoc so sitting slightly higher than him that’s when I realised it was his info I could see. Whenever he moved further ahead of me the info would disappear and reappear as I moved closer to him. I had considered trying to change lanes to see if I could close enough to tell him what was happening but I decided against this and just turned the radio and therefore the infotainment screen off and that was the end of it.
When you first mentioned this I was a little skeptical but the way you’ve described it is pretty hard to explain away.

If VW’s software engineers have done something shameful and used the same encryption keys for all cars (or no encryption at all) then this would be major.

I knew they were hopeless at software but now I’m genuinely concerned. You absolutely should report this to them and demand a resolution.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

AdeRocs

Post by AdeRocs » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:06 am

Tricky2 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:26 pm
I always thought to pair the Bluetooth you had to confirm on the device and the car. I'm guessing the other guys phone security must have been open to allow your car to find and pair with it.
Mind boggles- reality is that nothing is 1000% secure.

AdeRocs

Post by AdeRocs » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:27 pm

AdeRocs wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:06 am
Tricky2 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:26 pm
I always thought to pair the Bluetooth you had to confirm on the device and the car. I'm guessing the other guys phone security must have been open to allow your car to find and pair with it.
Mind boggles- reality is that nothing is 100% secure.

C.simon

Post by C.simon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:42 pm

Collected my car from a real VW Dealer in Barcelona 2 weeks ago. Before collecting it, I had the Sat Nav retrofitted at a not inconsiderable cost of €1,242.00. It’s a 2019 model Year car, so they had to install an SD card version (which turned out to be as recent as 2016 Vintage!) In the process they disabled the ConnectApp, and the voice recognition. The Sat Nav function works, but all that money does not get you a replacement screen which would have a “NAV” virtual button. And some of you are disenchanted with U.K. VW Dealerships! Exasperating.
T-Roc 2.0 TSi Sport DSG (2nd Owner)
R-Line Travel/Winter/Comfort packs etc
Ravenna blue, black roof, Suzuka 19”
Spanish car 07/19, (LHD) in Malaga

AdeRocs

Post by AdeRocs » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:08 pm

C.simon wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:42 pm
Collected my car from a real VW Dealer in Barcelona 2 weeks ago. Before collecting it, I had the Sat Nav retrofitted at a not inconsiderable cost of €1,242.00. It’s a 2019 model Year car, so they had to install an SD card version (which turned out to be as recent as 2016 Vintage!) In the process they disabled the ConnectApp, and the voice recognition. The Sat Nav function works, but all that money does not get you a replacement screen which would have a “NAV” virtual button. And some of you are disenchanted with U.K. VW Dealerships! Exasperating.
VW have definitely gone down the pecking order with their IT. My car is the 2020 spec so it has the screen with the Nav which can be activated by touch or gesture, unfortunately the Nav is not in the car.

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:05 pm

It sounds as if they only fitted the unit in the glove box with the twin (?) SD card slots (and CD ?) and did not change the head unit (the bit with the screen). For what you paid, I think they should have replaced both.

Where/how did you find the date was 2016 ? It is possible that is a second hand unit salvaged from another car (eg a Golf), and of course the screen would not fit because of the different bezel. I think you may be a victim of a rip-off.

I think you need to bypass the dealer and make enquiries with VW or another dealer and ask what is included in a dealer retro-fit SatNav, assuming it is available as an upgrade kit. Some others on the forum seem to have contacts within or access to VW info and may be able to provide details.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

AdeRocs

Post by AdeRocs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 am

I am still without a Navigation system despite paying dealer for it at the time I ordered the car and subsequently paying to buy it via VW WeConnect. I have an appointment with my dealership tomorrow morning to either try and instal the missing Nav, order me a replacement car or start vehicle rejection process. I will give a full update of the saga so far after that visit tomorrow.

twist

Post by twist » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:09 am

AdeRocs wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 am
I am still without a Navigation system despite paying dealer for it at the time I ordered the car and subsequently paying to buy it via VW WeConnect. I have an appointment with my dealership tomorrow morning to either try and instal the missing Nav, order me a replacement car or start vehicle rejection process. I will give a full update of the saga so far after that visit tomorrow.
Have you reached out to VW Executive Office about this? If so, what are they saying?

It’s completely absurd to be put in a position to have to reject or wait months for a new car for something that should be as simple as configuring the settings and/or entering a license key.

I hope they solve it for you tomorrow. It’s horrible having the enjoyment of a new car ruined like this.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

AdeRocs

Post by AdeRocs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:03 pm

twist wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:09 am
AdeRocs wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 am
Have you reached out to VW Executive Office about this? If so, what are they saying?

It’s completely absurd to be put in a position to have to reject or wait months for a new car for something that should be as simple as configuring the settings and/or entering a license key.

I hope they solve it for you tomorrow. It’s horrible having the enjoyment of a new car ruined like this.
I reached out to VW Milton Keynes and Marshall Group CEO’s office and they both put some pressure on the dealership Marshall VW who have now appointed a manager to deal with the matter.

The appointment for tomorrow came about when I told the said manager that I had been to Audi and BMW and therefore wanted to reject the TRoc so I can proceed to buy another car. He then said that because I was a repeat customer he would order me a new car to meet my original specs. So we arranged tomorrow’s appointment 23/10 to complete a new order form.

However it appears that as a result of my contact with VW Milton Keynes they have sent details of a possible fix and they want to also try this while I am there tomorrow. I am happy for them to install the Nav tomorrow if possible and cut ties with the dealership as I have had enough.

I am glad of yesterday’s posting about the car picked up in Europe and the subsequent damage done to the system when they retrofitted the Nav. I have to make sure that this does not happen with my car when they attempt to fit the Nav.

A lot has happened in between my postings which resulted in my decision to start the rejection process and I will give more information after tomorrow’s appointment.

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:19 pm

Wise decision, and best of luck tomorrow