UNHAPPY MODS

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Grrralph

Re: UNHAPPY MODS

Post by Grrralph » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:57 am

Rather than a Mods v Roc-kers confrontation at Brighton beach I'd prefer to go out for dinner. Terre a Terre anyone? Happy to play Quadrophenia in the background though!
Grralph - 1.5 DSG SEL in dark oak brown with black roof - winter pack with side assist plus - ordered mid March '18 - arrived in UK 9 November collected 26 November '18.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:43 pm

hikeimperial wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:51 am
Mods' doesn't sound right.
You should be the Keep Aautomobiles Really Exeptional Not Substandard!
Well, the Mods and Rock-ers thing didn't take a lot of deep thought I admit but I do think it might ring a bell with elderly T-Roc owners :mrgreen:
Grrralph wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:57 am
Rather than a Mods v Roc-kers confrontation at Brighton beach I'd prefer to go out for dinner. Terre a Terre anyone? Happy to play Quadrophenia in the background though!
:D Btw Grrralph, I thought your OP in the Happy Rock-ers thread was spot on.

For the record, I think the T-Roc has many fine attributes; but how customers have been treated is another matter.

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:44 am

twist wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:43 pm
Clubchamp98 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:17 pm
What about the start stop on the DSG.
It’s a disaster and the driver has no control over it.
So it’s on or off. That’s good for the planet.
I actually find the stop/start reasonable on the T-Roc. It was awful on my old Golf because the engine was quite lively on ignition so you really felt it. Despite the roo, my 1.5TSI is beautifully smooth on ignition.

That said, I’m a little concerned about what people have been talking about lately in regards to it failing to start again. I hope that’s isolated and they get it fixed.
Is it a DSG auto mine is and it’s awful .
The engine stops while the car is still moving ,that can’t be right.
There is a thread on here about it.
All I wanted is a modicum of control over it but it can’t be adjusted.
I test drove a manual as a DSG was not avaliable but I own a DSG golf and that is not like this.
If Vw don’t do something and my next potential car has this system I won’t by a VW.
It’s that bad.

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:08 pm

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:44 am
twist wrote:
Clubchamp98 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:17 pm
What about the start stop on the DSG.
It’s a disaster and the driver has no control over it.
So it’s on or off. That’s good for the planet.
I actually find the stop/start reasonable on the T-Roc. It was awful on my old Golf because the engine was quite lively on ignition so you really felt it. Despite the roo, my 1.5TSI is beautifully smooth on ignition.

That said, I’m a little concerned about what people have been talking about lately in regards to it failing to start again. I hope that’s isolated and they get it fixed.
I test drove a manual as a DSG was not avaliable but I own a DSG golf and that is not like this.
If Vw don’t do something and my next potential car has this system I won’t by a VW.
It’s that bad.
Hi Clubchamp98, I came from a Golf DSG and immediately noticed the Start/Stop on the T-Roc was different. I found it a bit disconcerting at first, but having driven approx 900 miles over the last 3 months I've got used to it and it really doesn't bother me now. I just ignore it and let it do its own thing. Yes, it can stop the engine while the car is still moving, but I think it only does that when the speed is below a threshold and the front radar sensor detects a stationary vehicle in front and it predicts that you will come to a halt. If the engine does stop and the car in front pulls away, the engine will restart and as Twist mentioned it is so quiet and smooth as to be almost imperceptible.

I know some people don't like it, but I'm quite happy with how it works now that I understand the vagaries, and it hasn't put me off the car.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Newtroconthebloc

Post by Newtroconthebloc » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:24 pm

Impala wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:08 pm
Clubchamp98 wrote:
twist wrote:

It’s that bad.
Hi Clubchamp98, I came from a Golf DSG and immediately noticed the Start/Stop on the T-Roc was different. I found it a bit disconcerting at first, but having driven approx 900 miles over the last 3 months I've got used to it and it really doesn't bother me now. I just ignore it and let it do its own thing. Yes, it can stop the engine while the car is still moving, but I think it only does that when the speed is below a threshold and the front radar sensor detects a stationary vehicle in front and it predicts that you will come to a halt. If the engine does stop and the car in front pulls away, the engine will restart and as Twist mentioned it is so quiet and smooth as to be almost imperceptible.

I know some people don't like it, but I'm quite happy with how it works now that I understand the vagaries, and it hasn't put me off the car.
Sorry Impala, off topic but how have you only done 900 miles ?
I thought I read you’ve done some long trips. Don’t you like driving new cars ?
I can’t leave mine alone ( the car that is)
1.5 SEL Petrol Manual Ravenna blue Sport pack power tailgate park assist reverse camera lumbar support (ordered 11 06 18) build w/c 1/10/18|at the dealers |collecting Thursday 3rd January 19.

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:41 am

Impala wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:08 pm
Clubchamp98 wrote:
twist wrote:

It’s that bad.

Mine shuts off coming to roundabouts with no other cars in front of me.
It’s actually started shutting down then immediately starting up again.
If it suits you that’s fine but I don’t like it!
All I asked at first service was an adjustment so I have a modicum of control like my golf has but was told by the tech “ I can’t change the settings”
I will not by another VW if they persist with this system!
I thought the customer was always right and this system should be adjustable to suit the driver not VW.

I have done 5000 miles and I still don’t like it.
Some will some won’t it takes all kinds but should be adjustable to suit the driver imo.

Monifieth Angus

Post by Monifieth Angus » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:59 am

I had a nearly new Golf 1.5 dsg as a hire car in Geneva recently (paid for Polo so pleased) and although a fine car it too had a disconcerting habit of shutting the engine off for a moment or two coming up to roundabouts. It also did the same while coasting which was more seamless.

I personally found this really annoying in what was otherwise a very smooth and quick car.
T-Roc SE 1.0 Indium Grey, ordered end February, build week 16/04/18, in transit 23/04/18, collection date 23/05/18

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:30 pm

For those who don't like/want Start/Stop, there are some discussion on the forum in other topics where there are some methods to permanently disable this. I'm afraid I'm going to leave you to do the searching yourselves.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Barnaclebob

Post by Barnaclebob » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:55 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong but if my memory serves me right VW only installed the stop/start system to their Bluemotion cars and it was one of their ways of getting emissions down for taxation reasons (my Up produces less than 100 g/km so zero road tax). They’ve now fitted it to most of their cars in order to be seen to be doing their bit for the environment... So, whether you like it or not, VW have fitted it to suit their commitment by being as environmentally friendly as possible with an internal combustion engine. They have given you a means of switching it off - but then that’s your choice and they’ve done their bit - with a clear conscience! Politics!
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:34 pm