R line tyre pressure

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Zastrola

R line tyre pressure

Post by Zastrola » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:27 pm

Hi guys,picked up my new RLine 1.5dsg up yesterday just getting my brain frazzled looking through the manuels.
Was wandering what tyre pressures you find the most comfortable, also is it possible to view the actual tyre pressure through the TPS monitors or do you only get a warning if the readings come out of the tolarences?
Thanks in advance.

guinnessaddick

Re: R line tyre pressure

Post by guinnessaddick » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:20 am

I have mine at 36 PSI, the monitors only give you a warning and you have to reset them when they have been activated.

AV82

Post by AV82 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:08 pm

The tyre pressures are on a sticker halfway down the "B" pillar of the R-Line stating the different load factors / pressure. When you have adjusted each tyre you reset the tpms and any deflation will trigger an alert.
1.5TSI 150ps petrol EVO R-Line 7spd DSG White Silver Black Roof 2018 R-Line signature trim.

Bellasdad

Post by Bellasdad » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:35 pm

When I picked mine up from the dealership the ride was rock hard and very uncomfortable, I could literally feel every imperfection in the road surface. I initially put this down to the 19” wheel and low profile tyre combination. After a couple of weeks ownership I decided to check the tyre pressure, each one was reading 46 PSI, that’s 10 PSI over the recommended setting! I dropped the pressure to 35 PSI and reset the TPS monitor. Obviously the result was immediate, the ride was so much smoother and much more pleasurable.
I’m very surprised this wasn’t picked up on the PDI inspection, I think it’s probably wise for new owners to check their tyre pressure just to be on the safe side.
T-Roc R Line 1.5 manual. White silver with black roof.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 pm

Bellasdad wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:35 pm
When I picked mine up from the dealership the ride was rock hard and very uncomfortable, I could literally feel every imperfection in the road surface. I initially put this down to the 19” wheel and low profile tyre combination. After a couple of weeks ownership I decided to check the tyre pressure, each one was reading 46 PSI, that’s 10 PSI over the recommended setting! I dropped the pressure to 35 PSI and reset the TPS monitor. Obviously the result was immediate, the ride was so much smoother and much more pleasurable.
I’m very surprised this wasn’t picked up on the PDI inspection, I think it’s probably wise for new owners to check their tyre pressure just to be on the safe side.
Ah, 19in wheels and low profile tyres - the bad old days for me. I think the psi is set high when you pick up so you don't trip the tyre sensors too soon; once you drop the pressures, you'll find the sensors will trip painfully often.

I would use the lowest psi for your tyres and set the sensors; then I'd add a bit more air as a "buffer".

1.5 tsi emoo | Kangaroo Pack | Mooing Brakes Pack | VW Indifference Pack | Detachable Spoiler

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:32 pm

T Roo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 pm
Bellasdad wrote:
Ah, 19in wheels and low profile tyres - the bad old days for me. I think the psi is set high when you pick up so you don't trip the tyre sensors too soon; once you drop the pressures, you'll find the sensors will trip painfully often.

I would use the lowest psi for your tyres and set the sensors; then I'd add a bit more air as a "buffer".
Sorry but I have to disagree. Set the tyre pressures as per the manual/B-pillar figures and then set the TPMS, there is absolutely no need (IMO) for any “buffer”.

I have to disagree about the sensors tripping often. In 5 years of previous Audi ownership - S3, RS3 and RSQ3, which had 18, 19 and 20” wheels respectively, I only ever had the TPMS trip twice incorrectly- and to the best of my knowledge, VAG group use the same sensors across the range for the type of TPMS fitted to the T-ROC.

Setting a higher pressure than recommended will lead to faster tyre wear, and reduced braking and handling.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:50 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:32 pm

Sorry but I have to disagree. Set the tyre pressures as per the manual/B-pillar figures and then set the TPMS, there is absolutely no need (IMO) for any “buffer”.

I have to disagree about the sensors tripping often. In 5 years of previous Audi ownership - S3, RS3 and RSQ3, which had 18, 19 and 20” wheels respectively, I only ever had the TPMS trip twice incorrectly- and to the best of my knowledge, VAG group use the same sensors across the range for the type of TPMS fitted to the T-ROC.

Setting a higher pressure than recommended will lead to faster tyre wear, and reduced braking and handling.
As regards sensors tripping, I can only post that which is my experience (in case it chimes with someone else's experience too). I accept that your experience is different.

On my car the tyre pressures can be set at comfort level (or not) i.e. a lower psi (or not) but, my bad, this isn't available on low profile tyres. I got thrown that this is an R line question but not in the R line sub, sorry :oops:

Speaking personally, I don't like the skittishness of big wheels/skinny tyres but each to their own. Our pot-holed roads are not a good place for them either.

1.5 tsi emoo | Kangaroo Pack | Mooing Brakes Pack | VW Indifference Pack | Detachable Spoiler

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:42 am

I’ve ordered the R line, 19” wheels and agree the larger wheels will create a harder ride on our uk roads than say 17” with taller rubber. I prefer the seats/extras you get with the R line but the downside could be the ride quality. I’ve specced the costly DCC chassis control which I have on my current golf and like the option of comfort setting but also find the sport settings tighten everything up (not technical) and improves ride quality on certain road surfaces in my area.
My experience of the VW tyre pressure monitor is overall pretty good as long as they are working correctly, I’ve had a couple of incorrect warnings and there’s nothing worse than first thing in a morning and you hear the ding of the TPMS and the trip to the garage, it’s the same noise as the outside temp when it warns of ice temp below 4.
Ordered 11/03/19 R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey

Ianh

Post by Ianh » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:12 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:32 pm
T Roo wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:33 pm
Bellasdad wrote:

I took delivery of an R-Line 1.5 in June 18 and within a week the tyre pressure sensors came on. When checked, all tyres were set at 49 psi. When I spoke to the service manager, he said that it was the standing pressure, (mine was from stock), due to the fact that if they were in the showroom they set them high to stop the tyres getting flat spots, (true or not, I don't know).

Over the next few months my tyre pressure sensors continually came on, (all 4 wheels had the same issue), and whatever the garage did it didn't cure it. To cut a long story short they ordered a new car and I took delivery in November, all tyres set at 35psi, and as yet no tyre pressure monitor indication has come on.

I previously had a Golf mk7 and a Tiguan with the same tyre pressure system. It only ever came on once with the Golf, and that was when I had a puncture..

Ian h

R-Line 1.5 Manual, pure white/Black roof
Ianh

Car 1 - TRoc RLine 1.5 manual , pure white black roof, picked up Jun 18, returned Nov 18
Car 2 - TRoc RLine 1.5 manual , pure white black roof, picked up Nov 18

Impala

Post by Impala » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:34 pm

I agree with what most others have said, apart from T Roo. Sorry :|

I have TPMS on my current Golf and 2 previous Jettas, and have never had any false warnings. The one or two occasions when the warning was triggered were due to low pressure, in one case a cracked alloy due to hitting a pot hole and the other due to lack of checking the pressures for a long period.

I set my pressures mid-way between the lowest load and the medium load setting, which allows a bit of mixed load without keeping adjusting the pressures. I always reset the TPMS after ajusting the pressures and never give it any top-up, which is unnecessary and defeating the purpose.

The TPMS on VW cars compares the rolling circumference of the wheels, so if all tyres wear down at the same rate there is no issue but if you replace one tyre due to a puncture, then it can cause false alerts due to the different tread depth of one tyre compared to all the others. When adjusting the pressures (or changing tyres), it is important to drive for a mile or so before resetting the TPMS so as to allow the system to 'learn' the new rolling circumferences of each wheel. That's my understanding anyway.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered: 22/06/18
Stage 2: 27/06/18
Stage 3: 08/03/19
Build wk: 14 - 01/04/19
Stage 5a: 31/03/19 Left factory 1 wk early
Stage 6: 08/05/19
Stage 7: 13/05/19
Collected: 20/05/19 :D :D