AppleCar Play, Active info display, VW Satnav

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
jmosaurus

AppleCar Play, Active info display, VW Satnav

Post by jmosaurus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:50 am

Recently place my order for the T-Roc SEL! Very exited.
Just a few questions regarding the Active info screen
Coming from a Mercedes A-Class Apple CarPlay locked out the use of Mercedes Mapping and you lost the ability to skip tracks using my steering wheel controls.

Does the VW system/Apple intergration allow you to use the VW Nav to make the most of the Active info display as i'm guessing you cannot use 3rd party maps to display on the Active Info..?

Also does it display track playing inforation on the Active info display and allow you to skip tracks using the wheel controls or are you tied to the main centre console display?

J

Disdain

Re: AppleCar Play, Active info display, VW Satnav

Post by Disdain » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:25 am

Android auto you can use the wheel for controlling music tracks and even use voice to do things like navigation for Google maps. I'm sure apple will be same.

Android auto and presumably apple will not utilise the active info screen at all. For fun though you can have vw sat nav on your active info screen and Google maps on the main one at the same time!
Design 1.5 DSG Indium Grey Black, Sat nav, Active info. Plus oem dealer installed reversing camera.
Stock Order 20/03. Collected 31/03

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:01 pm

jmosaurus wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:50 am
Recently place my order for the T-Roc SEL! Very exited.
Just a few questions regarding the Active info screen
Coming from a Mercedes A-Class Apple CarPlay locked out the use of Mercedes Mapping and you lost the ability to skip tracks using my steering wheel controls.

Does the VW system/Apple intergration allow you to use the VW Nav to make the most of the Active info display as i'm guessing you cannot use 3rd party maps to display on the Active Info..?

Also does it display track playing inforation on the Active info display and allow you to skip tracks using the wheel controls or are you tied to the main centre console display?

J
Yes it does - couple of pictures of my Infotainment with Car-Play active using my iPhone to play Spotify tracks. I think the swcreen itself is self explanatory, on the steering wheel, the bottom arrow keys (which I've arrowed as well), allow you to skip between tracks. You have options as well as to how the tracks are displayed (if you want the artwork showing for instance).

Regarding 3rd Party maps - things like Waze, Google maps etc show up using Car Play, which you can use for navigation (if you look in the picture of the screen, you'll see the Google Maps icon)

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Zastrola

Post by Zastrola » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi hawkeye,how did you manage to get the average fuel consumption in the middle of the dial ?
Cheers in advance

avamissile

Post by avamissile » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:10 pm

I have a question if you can answer please? If you connect your phone via USB cable to play music, can you use the buttons on the wheel to control it I.e. skip songs? Because I’ve been in cars before where you can only use steering wheel buttons if the phone is connected via Bluetooth.
1.0L Design, White-Silver with Active Info Display, LED Headlights and Silver Anodised Roof Rails. Ordered 12th January 2019, estimated collection end of July.

Disdain

Post by Disdain » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:41 pm

If you connect with Bluetooth you can still control with the wheel. USB on mine auto activates android auto so can't say withoit AA installed.
Design 1.5 DSG Indium Grey Black, Sat nav, Active info. Plus oem dealer installed reversing camera.
Stock Order 20/03. Collected 31/03

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:57 pm

avamissile wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:10 pm
I have a question if you can answer please? If you connect your phone via USB cable to play music, can you use the buttons on the wheel to control it I.e. skip songs? Because I’ve been in cars before where you can only use steering wheel buttons if the phone is connected via Bluetooth.
In the pictures above, mine was connected via the USB cable, and yes I could skip songs by using either the Infotainment system OR the buttons I've highlighted in the picture of my steering wheel.
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:01 pm

Zastrola wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:58 pm
Hi hawkeye,how did you manage to get the average fuel consumption in the middle of the dial ?
Cheers in advance
On the Infotainment System, keep pressing the "Car" button until you get to the "Active Info Display" - you can then select what you want to display in the centre of the rev counter, dials, and speedo (you'll see that you can alter each there)
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Zastrola

Post by Zastrola » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:47 pm

Cheers buddy

Lymmbo

Post by Lymmbo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:44 am

I only use the cable to connect. I had problems if I connect very a Bluetooth and the cable. The limitation is that you can’t play music that’s on my iPhone but I get a lot more by using the cable. eg Spotify, amazon music, google maps Apple maps and Waze maps which I prefer above all especially when it shows you that a reported pot hole is ahead. Plus the user can report them and other obstacles. Favourite gps without doubt.