All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Newtroconthebloc

Tailgate operation

Post by Newtroconthebloc » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:05 pm

Helen657 wrote: ↑Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 pm
Newtroconthebloc wrote: ↑Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:36 pm
Helen657 wrote: ↑Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:54 pm

Hi newtroconthebloc
I had the order form and brochure with me and they both say “electric opening & closing tailgate” - we have the exact same option on our Tiguan so I knew what to expect. I’ve told the salesman that this not working would be a dealbreaker for me as I would not have ordered the car without the ability to remotely close the tailgate. Anyway, they had another TRoc out back with the electric tailgate so he raced round to check it out & said the key (& door button) both opened AND closed the tailgate as I’d said should happen, so they’ve accepted it’s either a software or wiring fault. I’ll let you know what happens!
Thanks Helen
That would be good, mine only opens remotely, it does close electrically but only by pressing button
Hi again,
Well after reading Hawkeye’s comment & reading the manual, I can confirm that I can open the tailgate with the key fob & with the driver door button, and can close it with the button in the tailgate & (with ignition on) the driver door button. It will only close with the key fob if you’ve got the keyless system. The dealer had the car yesterday to see if they could retrofit anything to get it to work, but unfortunately they can’t. I don’t want to set the bootlid to open to a lower setting (it hurts when you headbutt it 🤣), so was going to attach a piece of paracord inside which I could pull on to lower the boot, but instead am using a 2ft long pole I keep tucked inside the boot!! Result 😁
It’s a small price to pay for such a nice car

Dealership was genuinely surprised that VW have changed the key fob electronics to boot opening only and acknowledged it was a step backwards and that the literature was misleading, so at least other buyers should hopefully now get the right info!

Well, after swearing to all that my tailgate doesn’t close with the drivers door switch..... it does 🤬
Nobody told me you still pull it up to close and open it (so it’s not my fault) and there’s a delay before it closes.
Can’t trust anyone these days !
1.5 SEL Petrol Manual Ravenna blue Sport pack power tailgate park assist reverse camera lumbar support (ordered 11 06 18) build w/c 1/10/18|at the dealers |collecting Thursday 3rd January 19.

Hawkeye

Re: Tailgate operation

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:25 pm

On my Audi's which had the electric tailgate, they never remotely closed with the key - this was only ever possible if you had the keyless option. Whether this has ever been possible on VW's with keys (as opposed to keyless) I don't know, but normally Audi's work the same as or similar to VW's.

Regards the inner door switch - I've found that whilst it will open the tailgate whether ignition on or off, that will only close the tailgate with the ignition on
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Ethanboothroyd

Post by Ethanboothroyd » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 pm

Hi

My t roc has a power tailgate and also keyless entry I can open and close it by the key but when I close the boot by the key I have to hold and press the button on key when closing
1.5 TSI EVO DSG SE - Black - Upgraded 18 Inch Alloys , Tinted Windows , Keyless Start And Stop And Power Tailgate Collected 1st Of March

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:04 pm

Ethanboothroyd wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 pm
Hi

My t roc has a power tailgate and also keyless entry I can open and close it by the key but when I close the boot by the key I have to hold and press the button on key when closing
Only possible if you have the keyless entry option - if you don't it doesn't do that.
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:41 am

Can you set the height the tailgate opens, as I park in a garage it would be useful as there is restricted height?
Ordered 11/03/19 R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:11 am

Ian91 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:41 am
Can you set the height the tailgate opens, as I park in a garage it would be useful as there is restricted height?
Yes you can - in the manual (under section “opening and closing the boot lid electrically” it states:

Changing and storing the opening angle

If the area behind or above the vehicle is smaller than the path of the boot lid, the opening angle of the boot lid can be changed.
Stop the opening procedure at the desired open position (at least half open).
In the boot lid, press and hold the button until the hazard warning lights flash.
The changed opening angle will be stored.
The hazard warning lights flash and an acoustic signal sounds to confirm that the changed opening angle has been stored.

Resetting and storing the opening angle

The opening angle must be reset and stored again in order for the boot lid to open fully again.
Push the opened boot lid up as far as it will go by hand. You will need to use increased force for this. In the boot lid, press and hold the button until the hazard warning lights flash.
The opening angle will be reset.
The hazard warning lights flash and an acoustic signal sounds to confirm that the opening angle has been reset.
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:52 pm

Cheers Hawkeye, its going to be six months or so before my roc is delivered so I’ll reference this for then. Ian

TN55

Post by TN55 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:01 pm

T Roc owners with electric tail gates be aware, I went out to a resturant the other night, parked the T Roc in car park about 200 to 250 yds away, I could see the car from where I was sitting, key fob was in my Jean's pocket, next thing as I looked out the window I saw the tail gate open, couldn't believe what I was seeing, the range on the key fob is quiet a distance, so if accidentally pressed the inevitable happen. Be aware 🤔😅😅😂😂😂😂
T-Roc R Line, 1.5 DSG, Pure White with black roof, Electric tail gate, Reversing Camera, High beam assist and lumbar surport, Ordered on the 2nd August 2018

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:09 am

TN55 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:01 pm
T Roc owners with electric tail gates be aware, I went out to a resturant the other night, parked the T Roc in car park about 200 to 250 yds away, I could see the car from where I was sitting, key fob was in my Jean's pocket, next thing as I looked out the window I saw the tail gate open, couldn't believe what I was seeing, the range on the key fob is quiet a distance, so if accidentally pressed the inevitable happen. Be aware 🤔😅😅😂😂😂😂
Good to point this out, plus must wear baggy jeans! VW key fob could do with an updated design particularly annoying when the key part flips open when in your jeans pocket.