Re: Stop/Start feature..

Post by vernerbongo2 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:38 pm

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:13 pm
twist wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:04 am
vernerbongo2 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:30 am

Sorry I didn't explain enough, twist is right.
I'd let a couple of cars in front go and then I can crawl in 1st/2nd.
Hopefully the gap is enough for the traffic ahead to have stop/started a time or two before the gap is closed :)
I do the same thing. The only problem is that aggressive drivers take that as an invitation to cut right in front of you, ruining your efficient driving 🤬

Really annoys me that not everyone understands the gap is not for them!!
Maybe but if all drivers did this the que at the traffic lights would be huge .
Can’t see how crawling is better than stopping put in neutral and handbrake on ,Your clutch is disengaged totally then so zero wear.
This is going around in circles and off the original topic :lol:
There's more wear in a clutch in the initial take off than in crawling ;)
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Impala

Post by Impala » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 pm

To try to bring this back to the original dicussion, I can confirm that my engine stops when I stop behind another car and then it restarts if the car in front moves off or just moves forward a bit and stops again.

However, when that happens I can usually stop my engine again (without moving forward) by pressing the brake pedal and then releasing it after 1 or 2 seconds (with auto-hold active and green brake indicator showing). The engine only stops when I release the pedal, but it continues running if I keep my foot on the brake pedal, which is slightly different from the initial stop/start action.

This is for a DSG, so a manual box may be different.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:12 am

Impala wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 pm
To try to bring this back to the original dicussion, I can confirm that my engine stops when I stop behind another car and then it restarts if the car in front moves off or just moves forward a bit and stops again.

However, when that happens I can usually stop my engine again (without moving forward) by pressing the brake pedal and then releasing it after 1 or 2 seconds (with auto-hold active and green brake indicator showing). The engine only stops when I release the pedal, but it continues running if I keep my foot on the brake pedal, which is slightly different from the initial stop/start action.

If I stop behind a car and it moves up a bit my engine restarts.
I then get the A symbol with circle around it but has a forward slash to say Start Stop is not available.
Mines a DSG 1.5 petrol.
Have tried pushing the brake pedal as this is how my golf works ,but to no avail.

It’s a crap system so I rarely use it and just turn it off, so much for the environment when I can’t control it so just turn it off.

AV82

Post by AV82 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:08 pm

I thought it was April 1st when a news item on BBC West Midlands tonight ran a story that a proposal is being made to fine drivers £20 for having their engine running for 1 minute or more when stationary. They stated that members of the public could report drivers with video evidence and benefit with 25% of the fine. What a joke until you realise it's not April Fools day.
1.5TSI 150ps petrol EVO R-Line 7spd DSG White Silver Black Roof 2018 R-Line signature trim.

twist

Post by twist » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:46 pm

AV82 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:08 pm
I thought it was April 1st when a news item on BBC West Midlands tonight ran a story that a proposal is being made to fine drivers £20 for having their engine running for 1 minute or more when stationary. They stated that members of the public could report drivers with video evidence and benefit with 25% of the fine. What a joke until you realise it's not April Fools day.
That would be ludicrous and will never happen. Would also be more or less impossible to enforce. Video evidence? Of what? Engine noise?

So people without auto stop/start would have to turn their key in the ignition every 2 minutes in rush hour jams? The idiots proposing these things are just trying to make it look like they actually do work for those overinflated government salaries.

Edit: just read a bit more into it. Seems it’s only for when you’re parked. Being in traffic doesn’t count. If you’re parked, the engine *should* be off, so I agree there.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:38 pm

twist wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:46 pm
AV82 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:08 pm
That would be ludicrous and will never happen. Would also be more or less impossible to enforce. Video evidence? Of what? Engine noise?

So people without auto stop/start would have to turn their key in the ignition every 2 minutes in rush hour jams? The idiots proposing these things are just trying to make it look like they actually do work for those overinflated government salaries.

Edit: just read a bit more into it. Seems it’s only for when you’re parked. Being in traffic doesn’t count. If you’re parked, the engine *should* be off, so I agree there.
It’s mainly for outside schools .
But what about hot days when your air con is on the engine stays on .
A lot of drivers are just lazy and won’t switch it off.

Barnaclebob

Post by Barnaclebob » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 pm

Clubchamp98 wrote: “But what about hot days when your air con is on the engine stays on.” This is not so. Under normal circumstances the engine would cut out (Auto Stop) causing the ac to shut off and at the same time the fan speed reduces. Of course the evaporator is still cold enough to give chilled air... for a short time. If you want your air con to run continuously then you have to run your engine all the time.
The same “law” will apply to those who are sitting in their car with the heater on in cold weather.
This is what these environmentalists are all up in arms against - and it’s not just against people who wait outside school gates (although they’re the main target) but anybody who’re just sitting in their cars for whatever reason. Let’s face it, if these “holier than thou” snowflakes had their way they’d have all internal combustion engines off the road tomorrow... Thank God I won’t be around when that day eventually comes!
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI Eco, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:09 pm

Barnaclebob wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:15 pm
Clubchamp98 wrote: “But what about hot days when your air con is on the engine stays on.” This is not so. Under normal circumstances the engine would cut out (Auto Stop) causing the ac to shut off and at the same time the fan speed reduces. Of course the evaporator is still cold enough to give chilled air... for a short time. If you want your air con to run continuously then you have to run your engine all the time.
The same “law” will apply to those who are sitting in their car with the heater on in cold weather.
This is what these environmentalists are all up in arms against - and it’s not just against people who wait outside school gates (although they’re the main target) but anybody who’re just sitting in their cars for whatever reason. Let’s face it, if these “holier than thou” snowflakes had their way they’d have all internal combustion engines off the road tomorrow... Thank God I won’t be around when that day eventually comes!
Normal circumstances is not sitting outside the kids school where on a hot day the engine will stay on if you have the air con on.

Impala

Post by Impala » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:53 pm

Clubchamp98 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:12 am
Impala wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:32 pm

If I stop behind a car and it moves up a bit my engine restarts.
I then get the A symbol with circle around it but has a forward slash to say Start Stop is not available.
Mines a DSG 1.5 petrol.
Have tried pushing the brake pedal as this is how my golf works ,but to no avail.

It’s a crap system so I rarely use it and just turn it off, so much for the environment when I can’t control it so just turn it off.
Mine also shows the Stop/Start not available symbol, but if I remove my foot from the brake then press and release the brake pedal again, the engine stops and the Stop/Start symbol is normal.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

trocsel

Post by trocsel » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:41 pm

I don’t think that cabin temperature or fogged up windows should have control over the Start/Stop system, Nor a slight touch on the steering wheel.
Especially in the winter months, I find that fuel consumption is worse, mainly due to the engine running when stopped at junctions etc.

I would like the engine to stop at junctions etc, if it doesn’t and no DPF regen going on, I turn the temperature up or down till the engine does stop.
2.0 SEL TDI 4MOTION 150PS 6 speed manual
Atlantic Blue Metallic
Sports suspension & Progressive steering
Montego Bay 18” alloys
Winter Pack
Removable Towbar
Rear View Camera