Thought I'd revive this thread having watched a video about detailing on youtube:
Anyone not wanting to watch the whole thing, the detailing routine was roughly this:
1. Pre-rinse (jet wash) to remove loose dirt
2. Pre wash (apply bug remover etc and allow to work)
3. Snowfoam - allow to work and drain down
4. Wheel clean
5. Details (apply cleaner to fuel filler area; badges; inside doors, sills etc)
6. Wash (start at top; use a nice soft mitt)
7. Dry (use a plush drying towel)
8. Decon (apply tar remover, rinse, clean). Apply clay bar lubricant then clay in panel by panel. Rinse.
9. Polish (one panel at a time following the product's instructions). Remove polish residue.
10.Apply sealant panel by panel then buff.
11. Glass - use dedicated glass cloths. Inside and out!
12 Wax panel by panel; do not over apply.
13. Dress and polish the vehicle's trim (window struts; along the boot edge; roof rails etc)
14 Tyres - Apply tyre dressing and buff.
15. Finishing - Apply quick spray detailer and spread with clean microfibre. Buff.
It looks very much like OCD Hawkeye's meticulous regime but it has shown me all the things I do wrong. My own routine is:
I now know though that I am a complete failure
. I wonder what others do?