Swsgm30

Re: Full Detail

Post by Swsgm30 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:10 pm

T Roo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:38 am
Newtroconthebloc wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:51 pm
OMG! Someone jam a cork up that seagull's exhaust pipe! :mrgreen:
My God, it looks like you've been attacked by a Herd of Flying Fresians :!: :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, I know you washed it off asap but just to emphasise the importance of doing that ... a similar thing happened to me on a metallic-red Renault a few years ago. A wandering seagull decided to unload his contents and, being basically lazy, I left it there for a few days. When I eventually washed it, the top coat came away revealing the undercoat :o :o :o about the size of a 10p piece :roll: :roll:
1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
6-speed Manual 5 Door.
Pure White/Black
Winter Pack, Reverse Camera
F/R mudflaps, keyless entry
Delivered - 1st March :D :D :D :D :D

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:00 pm

Thought I'd revive this thread having watched a video about detailing on youtube:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRTGnf3uJ0M).

Anyone not wanting to watch the whole thing, the detailing routine was roughly this:

1. Pre-rinse (jet wash) to remove loose dirt
2. Pre wash (apply bug remover etc and allow to work)
3. Snowfoam - allow to work and drain down
4. Wheel clean
5. Details (apply cleaner to fuel filler area; badges; inside doors, sills etc)
6. Wash (start at top; use a nice soft mitt)
7. Dry (use a plush drying towel)
8. Decon (apply tar remover, rinse, clean). Apply clay bar lubricant then clay in panel by panel. Rinse.
9. Polish (one panel at a time following the product's instructions). Remove polish residue.
10.Apply sealant panel by panel then buff.
11. Glass - use dedicated glass cloths. Inside and out!
12 Wax panel by panel; do not over apply.
13. Dress and polish the vehicle's trim (window struts; along the boot edge; roof rails etc)
14 Tyres - Apply tyre dressing and buff.
15. Finishing - Apply quick spray detailer and spread with clean microfibre. Buff.

It looks very much like OCD Hawkeye's meticulous regime but it has shown me all the things I do wrong. My own routine is:

1. Wash
2. Wax
3. Buff
:mrgreen:

I now know though that I am a complete failure :oops: . I wonder what others do?

Swsgm30

Post by Swsgm30 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:21 pm

T Roo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:00 pm
Thought I'd revive this thread having watched a video about detailing on youtube:

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRTGnf3uJ0M).

Anyone not wanting to watch the whole thing, the detailing routine was roughly this:

1. Pre-rinse (jet wash) to remove loose dirt
2. Pre wash (apply bug remover etc and allow to work)
3. Snowfoam - allow to work and drain down
4. Wheel clean
5. Details (apply cleaner to fuel filler area; badges; inside doors, sills etc)
6. Wash (start at top; use a nice soft mitt)
7. Dry (use a plush drying towel)
8. Decon (apply tar remover, rinse, clean). Apply clay bar lubricant then clay in panel by panel. Rinse.
9. Polish (one panel at a time following the product's instructions). Remove polish residue.
10.Apply sealant panel by panel then buff.
11. Glass - use dedicated glass cloths. Inside and out!
12 Wax panel by panel; do not over apply.
13. Dress and polish the vehicle's trim (window struts; along the boot edge; roof rails etc)
14 Tyres - Apply tyre dressing and buff.
15. Finishing - Apply quick spray detailer and spread with clean microfibre. Buff.

It looks very much like OCD Hawkeye's meticulous regime but it has shown me all the things I do wrong. My own routine is:

1. Wash
2. Wax
3. Buff
:mrgreen:

I now know though that I am a complete failure :oops: . I wonder what others do?
Yeah, you've confirmed that, as I suspected, I am not really on the pace of such processes :cry: :cry:
In all the years that I've owned and driven cars, I can honestly say that I've never gone beyond the Pre-Rinse stage :!: :!: :!: :!:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
6-speed Manual 5 Door.
Pure White/Black
Winter Pack, Reverse Camera
F/R mudflaps, keyless entry
Delivered - 1st March :D :D :D :D :D

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:24 pm

A stage 6 wash sounds about right for me :oops: with a Stage 7 drying thrown in if it's not raining before completing the wash.

In winter with lots of grit and salt on the roads I usually manage a Stage 1 pre-rinse (a hose and hand combo variety) and in summer there might be an even rarer Stage 9 polish, usually combined with Stage 12 wax in the one product if I can find it and if I keep the car for more than 3 years :lol:

What the video doesn't tell you is how long each stage requires. Scotland is famous for the saying about something being like painting the Forth Bridge, meaning it takes so long to do that by the time you reach the end it is time to start all over again from the beginning. Well, that saying applies to Scottish car washing and polishing due to our other famous Scottish feature - the WEATHER !

If a job requires more than an hour or two of dry, calm weather then you may only get a couple of chances in the year. So by the time you've done the first few detailing stages, the heavens have probably opened and it's time for the pub. Then the rain lasts for hours, days or weeks, so you have to start using the car, which means when the next hour or two of dry weather comes along, the car is dirty and you have to start at Stage 1 again ! Sounds a lot like Groundhog Day :lol: :lol: :lol:
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:17 am

Swsgm30 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:21 pm
Yeah, you've confirmed that, as I suspected, I am not really on the pace of such processes :cry: :cry:
In all the years that I've owned and driven cars, I can honestly say that I've never gone beyond the Pre-Rinse stage :!: :!: :!: :!:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm not much better but I want to be. I can't see me ever going the full 15 stages but I have to try harder than a bucket of warm water and an old flannel ;) Imagine that Ravenna blue with a mirror shine; it would zing!
Impala wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:24 pm
A stage 6 wash sounds about right for me :oops: with a Stage 7 drying thrown in if it's not raining before completing the wash.
aaaah Scotland, beautiful Country, lovely people, fantastic history, kilts, lochs, tartan, whiskey.

Pisses with rain all the time. Sigh :lol: .

You can't have it all Impala. That said, when we visited it was warm and sunny. You also have Scottish midges...

twist

Post by twist » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:19 am

Also live in Scotland and can confirm the above problems. I also live opposite an abandoned church full of pigeons and other poo-dropping nuisances that have a habit of playing target practice with my cars as soon as I’ve finished a good wash.

Sometimes tempting to cover the cars with tarp!
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar supports, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Built: 10/06/19
Collected 01/07/19

Troc2018

Post by Troc2018 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:11 am

Living by the coast I have to put up with seagulls droppings very annoying
I've used a new wax from meguiars now available at halfords called meguiars hybrid
Ceramic wax ,it seems to seal the paint and makes stains come off easier.
Not cheap at £20 but lasts a long time , apply to wet car and rinse off .
Lots of mentions of it on you tube
1.5 sel met grey / black roof , panoramic sun roof ,monteygo bay 18 " wheels
Reversing cam ordered 11th June 18 delivered 16 th Nov 18 , 5 months exactly as promised by vw dealer

twist

Post by twist » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 am

Troc2018 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:11 am
I've used a new wax from meguiars now available at halfords called meguiars hybrid
On discount right now at Halfords for £16. Gonna pick up a bottle and give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar supports, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Built: 10/06/19
Collected 01/07/19

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:26 pm

twist wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 am
Troc2018 wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:11 am
On discount right now at Halfords for £16. Gonna pick up a bottle and give it a shot. Thanks for the tip!
Good tips. I think Hawkeye uses the stuff and you could eat your dinner off his car :) Might give it a go although I tend to use Autoglym usually.

I watched a seagull deliberately bomb my car the other day; I used to think it was random but those barstewards know what they are doing! :x

Tigermad

Post by Tigermad » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 pm

So the last 2 new cars I have had I haven’t let the dealer detail them in any way. They just remove the white film so I can check for obvious damage. I then remove the transport wax and apply various products when I get home. Same when I get a service, no wash allowed. Does anyone else not let the dealers wash their beloved?
Troc Rline Line turmeric yellow/black ordered 11/07/19
Build week confirmed message on 19/07/19
Build week (confirmed) week 35
Status 5a in transit 27/08/19
Status 6 arrived in UK 05/09/19
Status 7 At dealer 11/09/19
Due for collection 19/09/19