Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

What would you change for the Mk2 T-Roc?

32K views 77 replies 35 participants last post by  Newtroconthebloc 
#1 ·
Have to say that I'm a little surprised not to have received any kind of questionnaire from VW. Having never owned a brand new car before I always imagined that the manufacturer would be in touch after a month or so to see how things are going?

That led me to thinking about what I would say to them about what I would like to see on the MK2. So thought that might be a fun topic for here. I'm not talking about problems like the roo, plenty of other threads here and I guess VW know how we feel about that already!

It's also worth adding that having studied (the admittedly disguised) photos of the T-Roc cabrio on t'internet that has exactly came styling, lights etc as our cars so I don't think a major update is imminent.

So here we go. My list for VW isn't huge, but here are some of the things I would have ticked if they'd been on the options list:- 1. Heads up display. 2. Illuminating sill kick plates. 3. Gesture control for auto tailgate.

Styling changes. The plastic dash that seems to get the journalists fired up doesn't bother me at all, that could stay, so about the only other thing I'd redo is the rear lights. Indicator too small & given how great the front indicators are (the LED ring ones that is) I'd have designed it with larger 'dynamic' sweeping rear indicators.

But how about you?

See less See more
#28 ·
Much lower suspension (Eibach springs option) and 21" black wheels :lol:

On a more serious note:
- mute button for the radio
- mute button for the SatNav on the steering wheel
- change the 'curtain' action for the Panroof such that you can have the Panroof open, but the netting of the curtain shut - used to be like that on my Audi's and was great as you could get air in, but keep the sun off and flying nasties out
- wiring/option for front/rear dash cam
- power socket in the boot area
- a much more substantial parcel shelf, possibly replacing with a pull across type

What I WOULDN'T want them to fit
- sweeping indicators. Had them on my RSQ3, and whilst they seem funky and everyone seems to want them, they are hopeless at being seen when brake lights are on (compared to non-sweeping indicators). In the end I came to hate the damn things what with getting shouted at on more than one occasion about 'not indicating'. Why VAG group continue with the stupid things I have no idea, it seems with many of their rear lights designs, the indicators get lost once brake lights come on.

#29 ·
I wouldn't mind them 'knightrider' style rear indicators like you get on a golf.

Electric tailgate as standard.

LED fogs

12v in the boot.

A mute button on steering controls...which i lost getting the SEL, replaced by a voice command thing that takes soo long to what you wanted it to do, you may have well have just pressed a button on infotainment system.

Other than that, wouldn't change a thing...love the car!!!

#30 ·
Can I add to my list a SIM card slot to avoid the need for a Wingle or mobile wi-fi hub.

Regards Mute button replaced by Voice, has anyone tried saying the word MUTE (or shut-up) ? If it is not on the list of commands, then add it to the list for Mk2.

#32 ·
A ring on the key fob so that it's easier to add to an existing key ring. The current key fob is so thick that it's easy to break bales trying to get it on.

The ability to lift the seat even higher.

A plastic holder attached to the window screen interior for car parking tickets. Volvo and Ford do this and it's invaluable for making sure they don't blow away when shutting the door.

More storage under the mats and seats. Make the slot for the manual bigger as it's a very tight fit.

#33 ·
twist said:
Make keyless entry secure by adding a 2-factor system like fingerprint scanner on the front door handles.
The wife of a friend of mine has just bought a new Ford Focus that has keyless entry. Ford have recently updated the keys to only transmit for 45 seconds instead of constantly which they did before. At least they appear to be doing something to prevent this crime.

#34 ·
My only real changes would be -

Better cup holders, maybe like the funky Tiguan ones.

Lining in door pockets.

More storage space, the Golf was much better with its sunglasses holder and small cubby on right hand side of dash.

12v socket in boot.

Also wish the info screen was higher in the dash, especially when using as sat nav, maybe a pop up one?

#35 ·
Potsy said:
My only real changes would be -

Better cup holders, maybe like the funky Tiguan ones.

Lining in door pockets.

More storage space, the Golf was much better with its sunglasses holder and small cubby on right hand side of dash.

12v socket in boot.

Also wish the info screen was higher in the dash, especially when using as sat nav, maybe a pop up one?
Totally agree. Storage sucks. The drawer under the driver seat helps but not by much. And that drawer is lined with felt whereas nothing else is. What's with that?!

#37 ·
hikeimperial said:
Oh got one.

An non-moving sticker on the volume knob. So when you make fine adjustments, your volume button isn't wonky or upside down. F***sake VW, every other car has this. How is that acceptable.
That really grinds my gears. Have to ban passengers from adjusting volume as it's so distracting to have it off centre.

I'd also love a mute/pause button on the steering wheel. Car park intercoms are a fairly regular fixture of my day and it'd be so much more convenient.

#38 ·
foz1nho said:
hikeimperial said:
Oh got one.

An non-moving sticker on the volume knob. So when you make fine adjustments, your volume button isn't wonky or upside down. F***sake VW, every other car has this. How is that acceptable.
That really grinds my gears. Have to ban passengers from adjusting volume as it's so distracting to have it off centre.

I'd also love a mute/pause button on the steering wheel. Car park intercoms are a fairly regular fixture of my day and it'd be so much more convenient.
I'm so glad to see this! Thought it was my OCD, when I drive it it's part of the start up regime; reset volume to vertical and adjust volume on steering wheel; then ensure the sync button is pressed on the climate control with no fractions in the air temp display!!!

#39 ·
330Stevie said:
foz1nho said:
hikeimperial said:
Oh got one.

I'm so glad to see this! Thought it was my OCD, when I drive it it's part of the start up regime; reset volume to vertical and adjust volume on steering wheel; then ensure the sync button is pressed on the climate control with no fractions in the air temp display!!!
I bet you also worry about the spokes on the steering wheel being precisely horizontal when driving on a straight road :lol:

#42 ·
Panoptes said:
hikeimperial said:
Panoptes said:
Ability to disable running lights (bl**dy EU).
Urm no.

Sincerely,
Every other driver on the road.
It's not desirable for 'on the road'.
Rubbish!
I understand you don't like the EU and that people sure need to see You coming.

#43 ·
No prejudice there, then. Turning off running lights is a desirable option for field sports and certain military applications. Neither of which, I suspect, you are familiar with.

#44 ·
Daylight Running Lights (DRL): I remember back in the day when they were first introduced on Volvos... I didn't realise that they'd been introduced in Sweden and of course Volvo (and Saab) had them fitted on their UK cars. I (like many others) used to flash them to let them know they had their lights on! Anyway, to cut a long story short, I believe they became mandatory on new cars in this country in 2011 and in truth, whether some people like it or not (being an EEC directive) in my opinion they really are a good safety feature. It is just as important to be seen as to see.
If DRLs can reduce the number of idiots running around in failing light (particularly around dusk in winter) the better. SEE AND BE SEEN.

#45 ·
Barnaclebob said:
Daylight Running Lights (DRL): I remember back in the day when they were first introduced on Volvos... I didn't realise that they'd been introduced in Sweden and of course Volvo (and Saab) had them fitted on their UK cars. I (like many others) used to flash them to let them know they had their lights on! Anyway, to cut a long story short, I believe they became mandatory on new cars in this country in 2011 and in truth, whether some people like it or not (being an EEC directive) in my opinion they really are a good safety feature. It is just as important to be seen as to see.
If DRLs can reduce the number of idiots running around in failing light (particularly around dusk in winter) the better. SEE AND BE SEEN.
I'm perfectly happy with DRLs and agree they are a good safety feature.

What I don't like is the message that appears in the T-Roc dash asking me to switch on my headlights just because I'm passing under some trees in broad daylight. The DRLs are on and other traffic can see my car perfectly well, meanwhile I can see the road perfectly well and turning on my headlights would not help in any way. Presumably if I drove around with the light switch in the Auto position, my headlights would be flashing on/off every time I passed under some trees. If it is meant to alert you at dusk, then the duration of low light required to activate this warning is obviously set far to short.

Going back in to my box now :lol:

#46 ·
Panoptes said:
No prejudice there, then. Turning off running lights is a desirable option for field sports and certain military applications. Neither of which, I suspect, you are familiar with.
Correct, why on earth would I be ?

#47 ·
As it has been stated, most people put their light switch in the Auto position and basically forget about their lights because the technology takes care of everything. The problem when you leave the switch in the Off position (for whatever reason) is that only the DRLs are on at the front of the car - there are no DRLs at the rear. Whereas it is appreciated that going through tunnels etc will cause the lights to come on for what appears to be a short time, surely this is better than no lights at all under these conditions?
Another point with the lights "off" and switching them on manually is the very point of the rear facing lights... How many time have we approached a car from the rear and realise they've got no lights on... because (a) they're unaware of the changing light conditions or (b) they think that they can see alright and they know better.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, is it not the law that you must have your lights on in falling rain? If the lights are in the off position and it starts raining you would use your wipers but the lights wouldn't come on... Me? I leave the lights and the wipers in the Auto position. The technology (for which I've paid for) works so I let it do its job...

#48 ·
Impala said:
Barnaclebob said:
I'm perfectly happy with DRLs and agree they are a good safety feature.

What I don't like is the message that appears in the T-Roc dash asking me to switch on my headlights just because I'm passing under some trees in broad daylight. The DRLs are on and other traffic can see my car perfectly well, meanwhile I can see the road perfectly well and turning on my headlights would not help in any way. Presumably if I drove around with the light switch in the Auto position, my headlights would be flashing on/off every time I passed under some trees. If it is meant to alert you at dusk, then the duration of low light required to activate this warning is obviously set far to short.

Going back in to my box now :lol:
DRLs, in fact, I would like my rear lights on as well as in the Sweedish style. What's wrong with that, the more lights the more the chance you will be seen and avoid some idiot bumping your lovely new T-roc.

#49 ·
Barnaclebob said:
As it has been stated, most people put their light switch in the Auto position and basically forget about their lights because the technology takes care of everything. The problem when you leave the switch in the Off position (for whatever reason) is that only the DRLs are on at the front of the car - there are no DRLs at the rear. Whereas it is appreciated that going through tunnels etc will cause the lights to come on for what appears to be a short time, surely this is better than no lights at all under these conditions?
Another point with the lights "off" and switching them on manually is the very point of the rear facing lights... How many time have we approached a car from the rear and realise they've got no lights on... because (a) they're unaware of the changing light conditions or (b) they think that they can see alright and they know better.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, is it not the law that you must have your lights on in falling rain? If the lights are in the off position and it starts raining you would use your wipers but the lights wouldn't come on... Me? I leave the lights and the wipers in the Auto position. The technology (for which I've paid for) works so I let it do its job...
Auto lights/wipers don't always come on immediately or stay on, especially in low visibility situations such as daytime fog. Others have posted about the need to check the colour of the lamp in the light switch to ensure they are on.

VW even advise not to rely on the Auto lights in fog -

Rectangle Font Material property Magenta Parallel

While technology has its uses, it is not invincible. If you get caught by the men in blue because your auto lights haven't come on in fog, I doubt blaming the technology or VW will be accepted as an excuse :oops:

Equally I doubt if a driving test examiner would pass someone who says I've got all the technology in my car to do it for me so I don't need to bother :lol:

But everyone to his own.

Attachments

#50 ·
1. Change the dsg 7 dry (dq200) to dsg 7 wet (DQ381)
2. Give the option of a 2.0 tsi without 4motion
3. Change interior hard plastic to soft
4. Possibility to change floor position of rear seats
5. More done to prevent road noise entering the cabin

#51 ·
Havsgaard, I can see where you're coming from with your five suggestions but regarding no. 5 I'm not sure... When I first drove the T-Roc (road tested the Type R and bought the SEL - both 1.5 TSI with DSG) my first reaction (and still maintained) is how quiet it was. Okay, so my previous car was the Tiguan 2.0 TDI DSG, with its noisy diesel engine, but the quietness really was noticeable.
Because the T-Roc is so quiet I do notice a wind noise from around the driver's-side mirror starting around 40 mph - but that's all. The only way I can see it being improved would be to cost a lot more and put it further up market - which will no doubt happen some time in the future... See how much more the Tiguan now costs!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.