Wind Noise Driver's Door Especially

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
RP22

Wind Noise Driver's Door Especially

Post by RP22 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:49 am

We have a 1.5 TSI SEL DSG, 2019 registered [UK]. Mostly we are very pleased with it, it is a really good driving experience, but……

At about 45 mph a wind sound starts on the driver’s window. The intensity increases until at motorway speeds it is really annoying, and tiring. The passenger side has the same sound, but at a much, much reduced level. I would like to find out what it could be before I go to the dealer. Things I have learnt so far are:
1. It is very different intensity on the two sides, as stated above
2. If you turn round and go back down the same road, the high level of noise stays on the driver’s side [i.e. eliminating wind direction]
3. Some web sites e.g. What Car do not report it as a problem, others do e.g. Top Gear. There are others on both sides.
4. This difference confuses me: I could understand different trims with different size wheels having different road noise levels, but I would have thought all T-Rocs would have the same windscreen, wing mirrors, door panels etc. So why should some T-Rocs have window noise and others not?
5. There are various suggestions put forward by web sites such as big wing mirrors, air hitting the windscreen and being deflected, air hitting the wing mirror posts.
6. I have used masking tape both inside and outside of the door frame but none of this made any difference. I have also taped around the wing mirror – closing off the channel that runs around it, to no avail.

If anybody has an inkling as to what is causing this or how to fix it, I would be grateful. It takes the edge of what otherwise would be a great driving experience. Thank you

Stam

Re: Wind Noise Driver's Door Especially

Post by Stam » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:39 pm

RP22 did you find a solution?
I have the same problem with you.

RP22

Post by RP22 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:19 am

Hello Stam,

No, I am still trying to work it out. Being new to Forums, I posted the query in more than one Forum, if you look over in the Technical Forum you will find some answers and comments. However, this You Tube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlFGtGrv784 is interesting, if you look about 6 minutes in how he uses a jet of compressed air to find the weak spot, but I haven't got a compressor, and I don't know if cans of compressed air as in cleaning keyboards would work. Regards, RP22

RP22

Post by RP22 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:27 pm

Hello, is there anybody out there with a brand-new T-Roc? If so, I would be very grateful if you could look at your wing mirrors and then compare them to the two photographs attached to this post. The story is that since buying the T-Roc April nearly two years ago, we have been very aware of a wind noise that starts at 46 m.p.h. and gets worse, and driver’s window is by far the worse. I have posted a few times about it, and quite a few forum members have made helpful suggestions (thank you) but unfortunately none solved the issue.

Recently the car went in for a major service and as well as the service I asked if they could look at the front door, front windows and door seals could be checked, as we were still suffering with this noise. I had no great expectations, so you can imagine my surprise when the Service Manager phoned to tell me that the Technician doing the car had ‘spotted something he did not like’ about the wing mirror housings and could they keep it overnight while replacements were sent. Oh, how my heart soared! I felt so pleased somebody had finally done something.

Anyway, with COVID, the service was a pick up and return to house, and the dealers are not allowing customers to wait around anyway. So the car was returned. So now you are all expecting great news? Oh, really? It is difficult around here right now, the only fast road had temporary speed limits on, so I have only been able to get up to 50 m.p.h., but the dreaded noise is still there, if anything worse.

So, now the reason for the post: Following my disappointment, I had a careful look at the new wing mirror housings and on both driver and passenger wing mirrors there are two clips, which to me just look wrong. They look as if these two clips should be tucked inside, instead of lying on the outside. The first jpeg shows them from a bit further away, the second is a close up. If you look at the close up you can see, hopefully, that the effect of these clips being on the outside is to raise and make an edge where you surely do not want an edge, wind-flow wise.

If you look at your car, and this is how they are meant to be, so be it. On the other hand, if I see members posting that it is wrong, it gives me the basis for going back to them for an explanation. I think they should be tucked in. I would be grateful for any comments. Incidentally, does anybody know, if your car body is black pearlescent, should wing mirrors also be black pearlescent? I am not convinced about what has gone on, here.

T-Roc Wing Mirror Housing 1 showing Two Clips.jpg

T-Roc Wing Mirror Housing 2 showing Two Clips.jpg

Pine Man

Post by Pine Man » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:38 pm

That definitely looks wrong to me. I've just checked mine out and it sure looks like those two lugs should be on the inside of the mirror surround.

All T-Rocs should have their mirrors the same colour as the bodywork unless you have a different coloured roof, like mine, and then the mirrors should be the same colour as the roof.
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Indium Grey Metallic Black
Lumbar Support Reverse Camera
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20

Clubchamp98

Post by Clubchamp98 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:20 pm

RP22 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:27 pm
Hello, is there anybody out there with a brand-new T-Roc? If so, I would be very grateful if you could look at your wing mirrors and then compare them to the two photographs attached to this post. The story is that since buying the T-Roc April nearly two years ago, we have been very aware of a wind noise that starts at 46 m.p.h. and gets worse, and driver’s window is by far the worse. I have posted a few times about it, and quite a few forum members have made helpful suggestions (thank you) but unfortunately none solved the issue.

Recently the car went in for a major service and as well as the service I asked if they could look at the front door, front windows and door seals could be checked, as we were still suffering with this noise. I had no great expectations, so you can imagine my surprise when the Service Manager phoned to tell me that the Technician doing the car had ‘spotted something he did not like’ about the wing mirror housings and could they keep it overnight while replacements were sent. Oh, how my heart soared! I felt so pleased somebody had finally done something.

Anyway, with COVID, the service was a pick up and return to house, and the dealers are not allowing customers to wait around anyway. So the car was returned. So now you are all expecting great news? Oh, really? It is difficult around here right now, the only fast road had temporary speed limits on, so I have only been able to get up to 50 m.p.h., but the dreaded noise is still there, if anything worse.

So, now the reason for the post: Following my disappointment, I had a careful look at the new wing mirror housings and on both driver and passenger wing mirrors there are two clips, which to me just look wrong. They look as if these two clips should be tucked inside, instead of lying on the outside. The first jpeg shows them from a bit further away, the second is a close up. If you look at the close up you can see, hopefully, that the effect of these clips being on the outside is to raise and make an edge where you surely do not want an edge, wind-flow wise.

If you look at your car, and this is how they are meant to be, so be it. On the other hand, if I see members posting that it is wrong, it gives me the basis for going back to them for an explanation. I think they should be tucked in. I would be grateful for any comments. Incidentally, does anybody know, if your car body is black pearlescent, should wing mirrors also be black pearlescent? I am not convinced about what has gone on, here.
T-Roc Wing Mirror Housing 1 showing Two Clips.jpgT-Roc Wing Mirror Housing 2 showing Two Clips.jpg
That hasn’t been replaced properly.
Those lugs should be on the other side to hold it in place.
That’s very poor from a tech.

Linford

Post by Linford » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 am

T-Roc R mirrors are silver.
The mirror surround needs to be pulled out, and then replaced with all the lugs inside the housing.
If you can't do it yourself it should be easy for a dealer.
VW T-Roc R
Lapiz Blue

Seal

Post by Seal » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:12 pm

the mirror cover is incorrectly mounted,and can cause more noise than it already does,with the new mirrors that will come out the noise will decrease a lot or even totally
T-Roc 1.5 TSI Evo 150ps
Yellow Turmeric, Black Roof/Door Mirrors, Silver Roof rails
LED Headlights/Running Lights
RearView Camera
Park Assist
Electric Tailgate
19'' wheels "Suzuka"

Tricky2

Post by Tricky2 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:46 am

I'd be straight back to the workshop and calling out the bad installation.

RP22

Post by RP22 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:43 am

Hello Seal, do you know something we don't? "With the new mirrors that will come out" Are there actually new wing mirrors going to be released for the T-Roc? If so when, would they fit existing mountings.? Any information at all, please.