Towing with 1.5 DSG

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
HTR

Towing with 1.5 DSG

Post by HTR » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:08 pm

Hello All

Just wondered whether many of you have towbars, what you tow and how you find it?
T-ROC R Line 1.5 TSI 150 PS EVO DSG in 'urinal' grey with standard R Line spec and options of driver assistance pack, towbar and keyless entry. Ordered 22/02/19 - cancelled by lease co & reordered 18/03/19. ETA of 27/09/19 :lol: :lol: :lol:

tiger tony

Re: Towing with 1.5 DSG

Post by tiger tony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Hello,
I have the factory fitted removable towbar which I occasionally use with my 8'x4' single axle braked goods trailer. Its usually loaded to well over a ton and my 1.5l has no problem in pulling it. The car still has plenty of acceleration, although it does keep the gears a bit longer before changing up which is to be expected (DSG box). It cruises nicely at legal speeds 50/60mph too.
Its nice to reverse too, as the rear window is not too high like some medium suv's, so I can at least see which way the trailer is heading !

The only issue I have is that the towball height is approx. 50mm higher off the ground than normal. I had to modify my trailer hitch fixings slightly to make the trailer sit level again.
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19

FamilyMan

Post by FamilyMan » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:13 pm

HTR wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:08 pm
Hello All

Just wondered whether many of you have towbars, what you tow and how you find it?
We ordered the removable towbar which the dealer will now fit when our R Line arrives in the uk. We intend to use it with the 3 cycle carrier.
1.5 TSI EVO R Line DSG Deep Black Pearl
Driver assistance pack, rear view camera, electric tailgate, keyless entry, lumbar support

Ordered 21/06/2019
Stage 3 30/07/2019 Build week 36 MY20
Stage 5A 03/09/2019
Stage 7 18/09/2019
Handover 27/09/2019 pm

HTR

Post by HTR » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:09 am

Thanks guys, that's encouraging. Mines been ordered with the detachable towbar. I have a caravan and a 9m trailer both of which are around the 1 Tonne mark. Our other car is a 2.0 diesel 4x4 so i'm anticipating a difference in torque but expect that DSG box will get around this ok.
T-ROC R Line 1.5 TSI 150 PS EVO DSG in 'urinal' grey with standard R Line spec and options of driver assistance pack, towbar and keyless entry. Ordered 22/02/19 - cancelled by lease co & reordered 18/03/19. ETA of 27/09/19 :lol: :lol: :lol:

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:30 am

HTR wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:09 am
Thanks guys, that's encouraging. Mines been ordered with the detachable towbar. I have a caravan and a 9m trailer both of which are around the 1 Tonne mark. Our other car is a 2.0 diesel 4x4 so i'm anticipating a difference in torque but expect that DSG box will get around this ok.
A 9m trailer ? Is that legal ?

A caravan might be a little more sluggish due to its extra height and increased drag, but the car will handle it in its stride.

My previous car was also a 2.0 diesel 4x4 with dsg, and the only difference I have noticed is that my 1.5 petrol dsg changes gear more frequently to keep up with quick moving traffic due to the slightly less engine torque available.

Fuel consumption is surprisingly on par with my previous diesel whilst towing, probably due to the more efficient petrol engine. But the T-roc petrol engine is definitely much quieter and more refined.
I haven't tried towing yet using the economy setting, I keep it in normal mode. I guess that might improve economy a bit more, but with even more gear changes !

As its a factory fitted towbar installation, it'll have all the trailer stabilization controls enabled for safer motoring as well. But note that the Blind Spot/Lane Change Assist and Rear Traffic Alert are disabled when towing. ACC, Traffic Jam Assist and Lane Guidance all work as normal tho.

Oh and the rear camera is a godsend for assisting in hooking up the trailer !
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19

HTR

Post by HTR » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:26 am

tiger tony wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:30 am
HTR wrote:
A 9m trailer ? Is that legal ?

A caravan might be a little more sluggish due to its extra height and increased drag, but the car will handle it in its stride.

My previous car was also a 2.0 diesel 4x4 with dsg, and the only difference I have noticed is that my 1.5 petrol dsg changes gear more frequently to keep up with quick moving traffic due to the slightly less engine torque available.

Fuel consumption is surprisingly on par with my previous diesel whilst towing, probably due to the more efficient petrol engine. But the T-roc petrol engine is definitely much quieter and more refined.
I haven't tried towing yet using the economy setting, I keep it in normal mode. I guess that might improve economy a bit more, but with even more gear changes !

As its a factory fitted towbar installation, it'll have all the trailer stabilization controls enabled for safer motoring as well. But note that the Blind Spot/Lane Change Assist and Rear Traffic Alert are disabled when towing. ACC, Traffic Jam Assist and Lane Guidance all work as normal tho.

Yes it is legal becuase its an indivisable load (I can't cut my wings in half). You're allowed up to 25.9m including towing vehicle provided the gvw of the towing vehicle is not above 3500kg and it's not a commercial vehicle.

FamilyMan

Post by FamilyMan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 pm

tiger tony wrote:
HTR wrote:

The Salesperson led me to believe that the Dealer installed VW Towbar was no different to the factory fitted option and should therefore come with all the stabilisation controls. Does anyone know different?
Driver assistance pack, rear view camera, electric tailgate, keyless entry, lumbar support

Ordered 21/06/2019
Stage 5A 03/09/2019
Stage 7 18/09/2019
Handover 27/09/2019 pm

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:16 pm

FamilyMan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:30 pm
tiger tony wrote:
HTR wrote:

The Salesperson led me to believe that the Dealer installed VW Towbar was no different to the factory fitted option and should therefore come with all the stabilisation controls. Does anyone know different?
It should all be the same as long as they install the VW trailer control module and download the software to suit.
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19

FamilyMan

Post by FamilyMan » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:37 pm

tiger tony wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:16 pm
FamilyMan wrote:
tiger tony wrote:

It should all be the same as long as they install the VW trailer control module and download the software to suit.
Thanks tiger tony
When the dealer informs me it has arrived I’ll remind them then about the module and software.

Ordered 21/06/2019
Stage 5A 03/09/2019
Stage 7 18/09/2019
Handover 27/09/2019 pm

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:15 pm

FamilyMan wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:37 pm
tiger tony wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:16 pm
FamilyMan wrote:

Thanks tiger tony
When the dealer informs me it has arrived I’ll remind them then about the module and software.

It's all part of the official VW towbar kit, so should be straight forward to install by any competent technician. The software coding should be easy for them to.

The control module (known as the trailer detector unit, J345) is simply used to integrate the 13pin trailer socket to the vehicles wiring and canbus network, so everything works as it should. Everything is on plug and socket, so easy to install. Its positioned at the rear of the vehicle just behind the nearside rear wheel well in the boot area.
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19