Sat Nav - Grrr!

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Hawkeye

Sat Nav - Grrr!

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:17 pm

So off to NEC tomorrow - Sat Nav finds the post code "B40 1NT" ok - press start route - and then it tells me that it can't use the map date. Really??? It will map everything else, just nothing around or at NEC Birmingham.

Map Version 9. Just updating to the latest version to see if this sorts the issue.

Grrrr!
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Hawkeye

Re: Sat Nav - Grrr!

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:28 pm

SO....having updated the maps to the latest version it still will not work for NEC - get a message after you press start (so clearly it's found it) which reads something like "Unable to access Navigation Data to calculate route". Same if I try other local places to NEC. Yet try to navigate anywhere else and it all works perfectly. SO clearly the algorithm for calculating routes is good, but its not getting the correct data input from the SD card,

Does anyone else have this issue with the NEC Post Code - or could someone in the UK please try navigating to B40 1NT and see if they get the same result? I'm wondering if I have a duff track on my navigation card with corrupt data in that one spot. I've tried alternate methods as well like navigating to the POI, but same result.

Ah well I'll be using Google Maps on Apple Play tomorrow then, at least THAT works. And maybe a call to VW Tech Support for their input
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

trocsel

Post by trocsel » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:03 am

Too late for me to try that one out on the car at the moment.

However, Birmingham Airport is next to the NEC and uses same junction 6 off the M42.
Postcode for the airport is B26 3QJ, so you could follow that and then when come off at J6, follow signs to the NEC.
Hope this helps.
2.0 SEL TDI 4MOTION 150PS 6 speed manual
Atlantic Blue Metallic
Sports suspension
Montego Bay 18” alloys
Winter Pack
Removable Towbar
Rear View Camera

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:12 am

trocsel wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:03 am

However, Birmingham Airport is next to the NEC and uses same junction 6 off the M42.
Postcode for the airport is B26 3QJ, so you could follow that and then when come off at J6, follow signs to the NEC.
Hope this helps.
Excellent, I’ll try that much appreciated!
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Swsgm30

Post by Swsgm30 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:32 am

trocsel wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:03 am

Hope this helps.
Hi Hawkeye, Just to add weight to the agrument, I just tried 'B40 1NT' and I also get the error message. I then typed in 'Birmingham NEC' but got no response - not recognised. I did however try 'Birmingham Airport' and was given the usual 3 route choice. As Trocsel says, once you get near to the Airport the NEC is separately signposted - they are actually adjacent to each other, you can't miss either of them. Let us know how you get on if you report the discrepancy to VW. ;)
1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
6-speed Manual 5 Door.
Pure White/Black
Winter Pack, Reverse Camera
F/R mudflaps, keyless entry
Delivered - 1st March :D :D :D :D :D

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:15 pm

Thanks @Swsgm30. So it does seem that this is an omission in the map set. Having navigated to Corley Services, I used Google Maps on ApplePlay in the end to navigate to NEC, whilst keeping an eye on what the SatNav shows. Hmm. Very patchy coverage of the roads and POI's around NEC by just looking at the map, until you get to the main roads, the system doesn't show the roads around there ar all.

I'll be getting onto Customer Services on Monday to see what they have to say, as this is very clearly an error in their mapping, I mean it's not as though NEC is a small place nor only just went up. Other major buildings such as the Hilton Metropole there just don't exist.

I'll let you all know how they respond. Thanks to @Swsgm30 and @trocsel for their assistance, much appreciated.
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:36 pm

One has to laugh. Have spoken with VW Customer Service and apparently "Navteq supply the data for our systems you need to report this to them". Just awaiting the link so I can do this, but really?

(Deep sigh of despair) :cry: :cry:

Oh how I wish I'd bought BMW or stuck with Audi......
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

RedRoc

Post by RedRoc » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:04 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:36 pm
One has to laugh. Have spoken with VW Customer Service and apparently "Navteq supply the data for our systems you need to report this to them". Just awaiting the link so I can do this, but really?

(Deep sigh of despair) :cry: :cry:

Oh how I wish I'd bought BMW or stuck with Audi......
The usual stupid response from VW Customer Services...
'Navteq' is the 'old' name when owned by Nokia. They now trade as 'Here Technologies', and have a guess who owns a major stake in this company. Go on everyone, have a hard think and guess...
YES!!! You're correct!!! VAG!!! (through Audi, also BMW and Daimler have a chunk).
Link to Wiki https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_(company)

Problems reported on Tiguan forum, mainly about speed limits being wrong, for a couple of years. Seems when Here have been contacted, they say that all is well when they prepare mapping, but problems are caused in the way VAG split the maps up into areas - i.e. some data gets corrupted (if you believe it).

A VAG company blaming another VAG company, instead of sorting things for the 'thorn in their side', upps meant valued customer, appears about right.

Be interesting to hear what response you get Hawkeye.
T-Roc 1.0 SE Flash Red -

HTR

Post by HTR » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:26 pm

IMO VW sat nav's have always been substandard and they're not getting any better! The nav in my 4 year old Mazda was better than the nav is in my new TROC. A colleague of mine who had a 4 year old Passat just used a standalone Garmin instead and gave up on the VW POS. Fortunately having the phone integration means you can use google maps or waze which are significantly better than the VW offering. When the rest of the tech on the ROC is so good it's a bit of a shocker.
T-ROC R Line 1.5 TSI 150 PS EVO DSG in 'urinal' grey with R Line spec and options of driver assistance pack, towbar and keyless entry. Ordered 22/02/19 - cancelled by lease co & reordered 18/03/19. Arrived 26/09/19.

twist

Post by twist » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:53 pm

HTR wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:26 pm
IMO VW sat nav's have always been substandard and they're not getting any better! The nav in my 4 year old Mazda was better than the nav is in my new TROC. A colleague of mine who had a 4 year old Passat just used a standalone Garmin instead and gave up on the VW POS. Fortunately having the phone integration means you can use google maps or waze which are significantly better than the VW offering. When the rest of the tech on the ROC is so good it's a bit of a shocker.
Even Apple Maps are decent these days and miles better than VW’s. I use Apple Maps pretty much exclusively since it’s the only one with a dashboard tile in the new CarPlay and I like the dashboard.
1.5 DSG SEL in Indium Grey
Park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar supports, “chilly bum” pack
Ordered: 19/03/19
Built: 10/06/19
Collected 01/07/19