SatNav - new update

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Hawkeye

Re: SatNav - new update

Post by Hawkeye » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:01 pm

Thanks Impala and Brid.
Amazing how VW Customer Service couldn't tell me this either when I sent them the exact details, which shows what a complete bunch of useless <enter your own expletives here> they are.

I haven't yet got around to do the unzip and load as Impala suggests, but will do this week.

One question I have - do you absolutely need to use the VW SD card? Can one not just purchase a 16Gb car, format it to FAT32 and use that - would that work? I can't see or believe there is anything special about the VW SD card, especially if one re-formats it as well. Just wondering as I have a decent quality 16Gb SD card which, if I could use that rather than the one in the car, it would help, as "the boss" has the car a lot at present.

Also @Impala - what FAT32 format application do you use for the SD card?

Thoughts???
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 am

Hi Hawkeye.

Easy question first ... I just reformat the card as FAT32 using Windows (file explorer) and keep the default parameters.

As for the card type, it must be a branded VW card to work, so I normally either delete the contents or reformat as above and then use 7-Zip to extract the contents of the downloaded .7z file, selecting the SD card as the destination (7-Zip calls it 'Copy to') using whatever drive letter Windows has assigned. You can copy the data from the card first if you want a backup, but I normally just keep a copy of the original 7z file which I can restore if needed.

There are several ways cards can be protected to prevent copying, but having done a basic examination it appears that VW have used a non-standard low level format which adds extra tracks/sectors. This is different to the high level format which Windows and other OSes use and which just zero the contents of the File Allocation Table (FAT) for a quick format, and even a full format will just wipe the data by setting it all to nulls (x00). If you compare the properties of a VW card with an equivalent retail card you will find that the capacity in bytes is slightly greater on the VW card. I think the Infotainment system probably just checks the card capacity to verify authenticity, although it is possible they have used a more sophisticated approach with a hidden (system) partition but my basic exam suggested there was just a single partition.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:00 am

Thanks Impala

Hmm I had a feeling that you "couldn't use just any card". Crafty buggers. I might just get a spare (if its not a silly price) from VW, as often the wife is out in the car if I'm not, so getting hold of the SD card to do an update for any length of time could be a planning exercise! That way it would just be a case of swap them over. We'll see. No doubt VW will charge a fortune for it so it will be a non-starter!!
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

T Roc Chick

Post by T Roc Chick » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:24 am

You can buy vw sd cards on ebay, probably cheaper than from VW and already loaded with latest software
1.0L Design Orange/Black
Sunroof
Electric tailgate
Rear view camera
Beats sound pack
Satnav
Active info
LEDs and Fogs

Ordered: 22/5/19
Stage 2: 29/5/19
Stage 3: 29/11/19 BW 02 2020

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:09 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:00 am
Thanks Impala

Hmm I had a feeling that you "couldn't use just any card". Crafty buggers. I might just get a spare (if its not a silly price) from VW, as often the wife is out in the car if I'm not, so getting hold of the SD card to do an update for any length of time could be a planning exercise! That way it would just be a case of swap them over. We'll see. No doubt VW will charge a fortune for it so it will be a non-starter!!
Cards cost around £25-35 on eBay. These are mostly pre-owned and have a variety of map data versions, so you would still have to update, but a very small number have the latest v12 map data. You need to be careful to buy an MIB2 card as I believe the MIB1 is only 8GB and doesn't work in the T-Roc.

BTW - you do know that the rest of the Infotainment system still works without the card in place, so your wife may not miss it unless she uses SatNav every day.

Download over a reasonable 50Mbps broadband connection (about 6MB/sec) should take about 30 min for the full 14GB version, and about half that for the 5-7MB regional versions. The time to backup or write the data to the card is dependent on the speed of your system and the card reader but is likely to be anthing from 30 mins to 2 hours. If your system and/or card reader is slow, then it is probably quicker to download and save the previous version in 7-Zip format.

Because the process can be broken up and carried out is separate actions, you can download the data any time without taking the card out of the car. When it comes to backing up or writing the data to the card, again these can be done separately and you could leave them running overnight (on different days) to avoid upsetting your wife. I normally complete the entire process in one session af about 2 hours as I already have the previous data file and don't need to make a backup.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D