SatNav - new update

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
RedRoc

Re: SatNav - new update

Post by RedRoc » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:32 pm
[Maybe I need a new SD card, I'll try initialising one from scratch and see if that works. Either that or never go to NEC again... :lol:
I don't think you can use any SD card apart from VW's. I beleive the VW one has 'hidden' permanent files to stop people copying it, the Media Nav system looks for these. Even when formating the card they remain, I assume must also be on a 'hidden drive'.
Probably some 'computer expert copier' can find them, but not the normal user.
T-Roc 1.0 SE Flash Red -

brid

Post by brid » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:58 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:31 pm

Your eyes deceive you @brid - the date format on the VW site is in mm-dd-yyyy format - so it's actually the update from 11th July 2019, not 7th November.

So I already had it uploaded to my SD card
Well there you go, The detail stated on my system is:-
Version Info
5NA919866G
ECE AS 2020
This refers to the full European 14meg download.

When the disk was first checked by the VW Discovercare system it stated "disk up to date" then changed it's mind and said "new version available" cancel or continue and the rest is history.
Question, if it is the same version why are some now finding the notoriously and elusive NEC.
Frankly Hawkeye I truly hope you are correct because this is the time VW issue updates and I would hope for better things very soon cos this is a little bit of a sad result.
Using the mm/dd/yyyy system then surely it would be 11(Nov)/ 7(day) /19(year) result 7th November 2019 in uk terms
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

BarryF

Post by BarryF » Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:11 pm

RedRoc wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:04 pm
Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:32 pm
[Maybe I need a new SD card, I'll try initialising one from scratch and see if that works. Either that or never go to NEC again... :lol:
I don't think you can use any SD card apart from VW's. I beleive the VW one has 'hidden' permanent files to stop people copying it, the Media Nav system looks for these. Even when formating the card they remain, I assume must also be on a 'hidden drive'.
Probably some 'computer expert copier' can find them, but not the normal user.
Interesting comment. When I updated my SD Map card I noticed that it appeared as drive E:, normally SD cards appear as drive D:.
I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I come to think about it, it was a bit strange. :?
Regards,
Barry

1.5 TSI DSG SEL, Indium Grey, Rear View Camera
Ordered : 20/02/19
Stage 2 : 01/03/19
Stage 3 : 11/05/19
Stage 5 : 04/06/19
Stage 6 : 18/06/19
Stage 7 : 21/06/19
Collected : 25/06/19

FamilyMan

Post by FamilyMan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:21 pm

Swsgm30 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:05 pm
brid wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:25 am
brid wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:55 am
Do my eyes deceive me or is this a new update for 7-11-2019 Version 12.7z :)
Well guys, I am really happy you have found the NEC. Could anyone comment as to the accuracy with speed notification in the UK and beyond.
So far I have found this to be the same load of junk as the last update with lots of roads completely wrongly stated and one particular section flicking rom 20kmh to 90kmh and then to 40 within 300 metres. Thank goodness I have the sign recon fitted.

Well at least this VW one does not have a cost. I have just updated my Mercedes "Becker" system for 89euro and it is just as bad.
In early 2019 The speed limits on national roads in Spain had a universal downgrade by 10kph (i.e where it was 100kmp down to 90kph and so on across the majority except Autovias). They (Merc) still give to the old limits so you have to mentally deduct from the display, humbug!
Considering asking for a refund on this as it is not fit for purpose. Their no responsibility clauses are really being stretched.
I am now convinced these people "buy" the data from the some chinese shop in "CON WAY" or even Rumania and Moscow on a good day! :D
I might get over it soon as some of the colours are much prettier which must be soooo important to the driver.
Another discrepancy that 'narks' me is that, I live at No 54 Xxxxxxxxx but the 'WE connect' App insists that I live at No 51 Xxxxxxxx and the position of the car on the Infotainment screen shows the car is outside No 58 Xxxxxxx !!!!
Not a major problem but isn't it supposed to be sophisticated enough to show me a route to my car in a strange carpark?
:evil: :evil:
This bugs me also, not being able to make our address as the home destination. It has also tried to tell me we live on the opposite side of the road.
1.5 TSI EVO R Line DSG Deep Black Pearl
Driver assistance pack, rear view camera, electric tailgate, keyless entry, lumbar support

Ordered 21/06/2019
Stage 3 30/07/2019 Build week 36 MY20
Stage 5A 03/09/2019
Stage 7 18/09/2019
Handover 27/09/2019 pm

FamilyMan

Post by FamilyMan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:36 pm

brid wrote:
I installed the Europe 1 maps last night. It’s version 11.7z. Feeling as though there is a them and us situation here.
1.5 TSI EVO R Line DSG Deep Black Pearl
Driver assistance pack, rear view camera, electric tailgate, keyless entry, lumbar support

Ordered 21/06/2019
Stage 3 30/07/2019 Build week 36 MY20
Stage 5A 03/09/2019
Stage 7 18/09/2019
Handover 27/09/2019 pm

brid

Post by brid » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:40 pm

FamilyMan wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:21 pm
This bugs me also, not being able to make our address as the home destination. It has also tried to tell me we live on the opposite side of the road.
Do you not think that this is really a good thing in some respects. Car stolen, press home and off we go to a precise location with a reasonable chance of being vacant.

I always set my address as the centre of the village or nearby street as its just someplace to push to get out of an area I am not familiar with and as one gets older those places just seem to grow. :D
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Swsgm30

Post by Swsgm30 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:02 pm

brid wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:40 pm
FamilyMan wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:21 pm
Do you not think that this is really a good thing in some respects. Car stolen, press home and off we go to a precise location with a reasonable chance of being vacant.

I always set my address as the centre of the village or nearby street as its just someplace to push to get out of an area I am not familiar with and as one gets older those places just seem to grow. :D
I agree .. What I said (above) regarding the location discrepancies was to illustrate the inadequacy of the system. When it came to the setting of my 'HOME' location for navigation reasons, I actually set it to the car park of my local Leisure Centre. I know my way home from there. :D :D
1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
6-speed Manual 5 Door.
Pure White/Black
Winter Pack, Reverse Camera
F/R mudflaps, keyless entry
Delivered - 1st March :D :D :D :D :D

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:52 pm

FamilyMan wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:36 pm
brid wrote:
I installed the Europe 1 maps last night. It’s version 11.7z. Feeling as though there is a them and us situation here.
Now that's interesting as when I downloaded the Europe 1 maps this morning the downloaded version is "Discovermedia2_Eu_AS_1430_v12.7z" - which suggests a V12. The version I loaded last week was V11, and strangely when I trie dto check today, it re-loaded V11 (this was before I downloaded the v12.7z file above)

Also on the (last) update I did last Saturday, I now have version
5NA919866S
ECE1 2020

which is ever so slightly different from what your system is showing @brid - like the end letter in the first line. Now - if I look at Discovercare that suggests it was a full update, but the file it used was only 6.5Meg. Hmm.

Did you update yours using Discovercare @brid - if so which "map set" did you have selected in settings. I sed the defualt which came down with Discovercare which was "Europe", but I note you can select Europe1 Gen 2 and a whole host of others.

What I did do this morning was use Discovermedia which at first suggested I had the latest version and then went through suggesting an update - but actually re-loaded what I had updated with last Saturday. I've now downloaded the V12.7z file above, which I'm going to try tomorrow to see if that makes any difference.

I suspect where I downloaded the Discovermedia app last week, when I ran it, it downloaded the latest version of the map updates. It didn't do that this morning, so went straight from backup to installing the map. I didn't have time to try the update again today, as was out this afternoon, but I'm thinking with Discovermedia that you possibly need to download a new version each time (and maybe delete the old version off your system, else it just picks up what it downloaded before. Guess tomorrow I'll find out.

Damn confusing though - why can't they just display version numbers both on the VW site and on your screen as it would be SO much easier to understand and check for crying out loud!
Last edited by Hawkeye on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:56 pm

BarryF wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:11 pm
When I updated my SD Map card I noticed that it appeared as drive E:, normally SD cards appear as drive D:.
I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I come to think about it, it was a bit strange. :?
Not at all. Depends on the PC used these days and the relevant operating system and whether the disk is partitioned or not. I have a partitioned drive on my PC, and Drive D holds the operating system and application files, SD cards appear as Drive E.

On later (newer) PC's with later operating systems, the hard drive isn't partitioned, so the SD card drive could easily be the "D" drive
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

brid

Post by brid » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:39 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:52 pm

Now that's interesting as when I downloaded the Europe 1 maps this morning the downloaded version is "Discovermedia2_Eu_AS_1430_v12.7z" - which suggests a V12. The version I loaded last week was V11, and strangely when I trie dto check today, it re-loaded V11 (this was before I downloaded the v12.7z file above)

Also on the (last) update I did last Saturday, I now have version
5NA919866S
ECE1 2020

which is ever so slightly different from what your system is showing @brid - like the end letter in the first line. Now - if I look at Discovercare that suggests it was a full update, but the file it used was only 6.5Meg. Hmm.

Did you update yours using Discovercare @brid - if so which "map set" did you have selected in settings. I sed the defualt which came down with Discovercare which was "Europe", but I note you can select Europe1 Gen 2 and a whole host of others.

What I did do this morning was use Discovermedia which at first suggested I had the latest version and then went through suggesting an update - but actually re-loaded what I had updated with last Saturday. I've now downloaded the V12.7z file above, which I'm going to try tomorrow to see if that makes any difference.

I suspect where I downloaded the Discovermedia app last week, when I ran it, it downloaded the latest version of the map updates. It didn't do that this morning, so went straight from backup to installing the map. I didn't have time to try the update again today, as was out this afternoon, but I'm thinking with Discovermedia that you possibly need to download a new version each time (and maybe delete the old version off your system, else it just picks up what it downloaded before. Guess tomorrow I'll find out.

Damn confusing though - why can't they just display version numbers both on the VW site and on your screen as it would be SO much easier to understand and check for crying out loud!
It would appear that you have a slightly different version "on paper" but there could be a difference with my being a Spanish car.
Perhaps another UK member would be kind enough to check the version they have newly installed to collaborate?
I doubt if there would be any different info for the Europe 2 re the UK but this may account for a slightly different version number.

Using the Windows I started the download and it downloaded a Zip 7 version of Discovercare.
This I discarded and went on to download the DiscoverMedia2-EU_A_1430_ V12.7z to my HD (I thought I was being clever here)
Then later in the day I started the process again.
Stuck in the SD card. Windows - Europe1 ( about 14 meg) - start, and up popped the DiscoverCare zipped file - unzipped and it started to run.
First thing that happened was it did a backup of the old files from the SD card THEN it downloaded AGAIN the selected map option.
Then it checked the files and installed the new version, checked it again and then overwrote the old backup with the new version so there was no way back for me.
Lesson: If you are using DiscoverCare to update dont bother doing a download first as the DiscoverCare does it's own thing.
Collected 12-06 2019