Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Delivery miles on new car

14K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Seal 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am not sure what should be the maximum delivery miles when car is collected from dealer.
Some activities adding up to the miles would be getting car out of the factory to the train/transporter, then drive in/out the vessel etc.
There are certainly some test trials as well to check everything works fine.
I assume it shouldn't be more than 5-10 miles. What is your knowledge regarding this?

#6 ·
Ours had 9 miles on the clock at handover.

#8 ·
Many thanks for your all kind replies :D
Following the knowledge I have now I will check miles once car arrived.
I saw some cars instore which have been used for test drive. They must have had more than 30-50 miles I would say. However they were dealer purchased cars awaiting sale but mine is custom made and should be kept stationary until the day I will collect it. So your information is a good reference to check.
Miles might slightly vary from car to car but I think it should be max 10 miles. Anything more than that should be suspicious. :geek:

Of course this does not close the thread as more opinions welcome :D

regards

#10 ·
I once went to the Hilman Imp factory in Linlithgow, Scotland and they ran the cars on a rolling road as they came off the conveyor with 1/2 a gallon of petrol put in them as they came down the ramp. They took them up to 50+ mph checked the headlights wipers while dry. Also checked brakes and other outside lights, all with the speedo connected. They then flogged them around the factory to the exit and out into the parking lot. In fact, it left you wondering whether you should buy one of their cars in the future, after the way they treat them.

#11 ·
only two vw models do the road test at 100% production and the t-roc is one of them, they make about 600 meters of a track with the existing floors and many of europe's countries for checking noises, braking test and acceleration and automatic parking, usually leave the factory with about 4 to 5 km, currently all tests that need the movement of the car count for car mileage getting recorded in the control unit every km taken

#14 ·
Musicegbdf said:
Seem to recall that cars a set to "delivery mode" until they get to the dealership, where they are then set to retail mode.
I concur. When mine arrived at the dealer (March '19), because I'd waited 6 months for delivery and had been a 'thorn in the side' over that period, I was invited to go and 'meet' my car. I asked if it was possible to have a short test drive around the yard (if I'd experienced the mighty 'Roo' I'd have instantly rejected it) but was told that, when the cars arrive they don't 'know' they're a TRoc as the onboard computers are in some basic setting that allows them to be driven (eg. onto the ship,transporters, at the dealer etc) but with limited performance. This also prevents theft and, I would have thought, misuse. Whether or not the mileage recorders are active at that point is anyone's guess.
For the record, mine had 8 miles on the clock at delivery.

#16 ·
Mine had 8 miles.

My car reached UK thru Grimsby, then to Oxford for pre-delivery tests and delivered to London/Kent.

Radio was set to a Punjabi station - someone has enjoyed music while testing the car

#17 ·
Swsgm30 said:
Musicegbdf said:
Seem to recall that cars a set to "delivery mode" until they get to the dealership, where they are then set to retail mode.
I concur. When mine arrived at the dealer (March '19), because I'd waited 6 months for delivery and had been a 'thorn in the side' over that period, I was invited to go and 'meet' my car. I asked if it was possible to have a short test drive around the yard (if I'd experienced the mighty 'Roo' I'd have instantly rejected it) but was told that, when the cars arrive they don't 'know' they're a TRoc as the onboard computers are in some basic setting that allows them to be driven (eg. onto the ship,transporters, at the dealer etc) but with limited performance. This also prevents theft and, I would have thought, misuse. Whether or not the mileage recorders are active at that point is anyone's guess.
truth,the car when it leaves the factory goes out in transport mode. it is not possible for example to walk with revs above 3000 rpm, the radio does not turn on, windows do not work as other electrical things in order not to discharge the battery,has to be used
a computer with VAS software to remove transport mode,as I said every time the car is driven is recorded in the car's control unit,

#18 ·
Seal said:
Swsgm30 said:
Musicegbdf said:
truth,the car when it leaves the factory goes out in transport mode. it is not possible for example to walk with revs above 3000 rpm, the radio does not turn on, windows do not work as other electrical things in order not to discharge the battery,has to be used
a computer with VAS software to remove transport mode,as I said every time the car is driven is recorded in the car's control unit,
I think 3000 is a bit high. On my 200+ mile trip back from the dealership, I don't think I hit 2500 at any point. I was actually very impressed with its acceleration while remaining low on the revs.

#19 ·
twist said:
Seal said:
Swsgm30 said:
I think 3000 is a bit high. On my 200+ mile trip back from the dealership, I don't think I hit 2500 at any point. I was actually very impressed with its acceleration while remaining low on the revs.
I agree, I find the engine sounds quite busy at about 3000/3500 and I only hit that when changing up through the gears on e.g. the Motorway. On my local roads I'm normally changing up at around 2500 rpm .. come to think of it what are the optimum revs re power/torque ?

#20 ·
in transport mode rev is limited to 3000 rpm but the top speed is 30 km (important detail) I forgot to say,

#21 ·
Seal said:
in transport mode rev is limited to 3000 rpm but the top speed is 30 km (important detail) I forgot to say,
Answered my own question - just checked the figures on the web and for the petrol engine range (haven't included the 'R') they show:
HP/MAX TORQUE
1.0 TSI 115 113@ 5000-5,500 rpm / 2000-3,500 rpm
1.5 TSI 150 148@ 5000rpm /1500-3500 rpm
2.0 TSI 190 4 Motion 187@ 5000rpm /1500-3500 rpm

surely a 3000rpm limit (pre delivery, at the factory, onto the boat etc etc) seems a little excessive? Those Spanish Porters will be rallying them around Setabul dockside for fun. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#22 ·
Seal said:
How are you going to limit them to 30km if they rev to 3000rpm ? max torque is at 3500rpm!!
See my earlier reply re engine specs

#23 ·
sorry if I didn't explain myself well, see if this time I can explain better, in transport mode the engine can reach a maximum of 3000 rpm in neutral, but when trying to drive the car the maximum speed is 30 km, this is done electronically with a specific software in the case VAS, leaving the factory

#24 ·
I did call the salesman and asked as well what usually miles on new car should be and he said "up to 100 miles" (sic), but after that he added "but normally it should be something between 15-20 miles. I definitely disagree the first and even 15-20 miles is a bit to much ?
He said also cars undergo some testing within factory etc (as some forum members pointed earlier in this topic). I will be at dealership next week any way and will clarify this.

#25 ·
I've had a lot of brand new cars and never had one with more than 10 miles. I'd be disappointed and suspicious if it was more.

As daddy bear might say, 'Who's been driving my car ?'

#26 ·
My understanding is that new cars will be in factory mode at the end of the line then the car can be driven during it's journey to the dealer. It will be in a reduced driving mode so little performance is available. As part of the PDI the dealer will programme the two keys for the customer and the software from factory mode is changed. This prevents the loss of keys and in the numbers of cars produced, a big enough box to put them in. I presume a similar operation is taken to support keyless cars. So actual mileage should be at no detriment to the vehicle unless the dealer used it after PDI.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.