T-Roc Fog lights....replacement bulbs?

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
CJD

Re: T-Roc Fog lights....replacement bulbs?

Post by CJD » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:32 pm

CJD wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:32 pm
Hi Swsgm30
Yes you do need to use a bit of brute force to really yank the plastic casing out with the metal hook thing. Once you get that part out just gently continue to pull & lever the casing almost as if your peeling it away towards the corner. Then you’ll need the torx screwdriver to release the 2 very visible screws & the lamp unit pops forwards & slides out from its inner mount. The bulbs then detach from the wiring & release from the lamp unit with half a turn.
Re fitting is a pig because you have to literally push the small splines/ wings on the plastic housing cover into place around the lamp unit & bumper to make it go in. Start by inserting the outer edge then really pay attention & as you start to push it shut slowly, push the lugs/ wings into the little appature for them which are really difficult to see unless your looking for it.
This is really the worst part & frustrating because the housing will not fully sit flush & pops open if you don’t get this bit right. Took me an hour and a half to figure the first side out & took me 3 mins to fit the other side 😂

Swsgm30

Post by Swsgm30 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:51 am

CJD wrote:
CJD wrote:
Hi Swsgm30
Yes you do need to use a bit of brute force to really yank the plastic casing out with the metal hook thing. Once you get that part out just gently continue to pull & lever the casing almost as if your peeling it away towards the corner. Then you’ll need the torx screwdriver to release the 2 very visible screws & the lamp unit pops forwards & slides out from its inner mount. The bulbs then detach from the wiring & release from the lamp unit with half a turn.
Re fitting is a pig because you have to literally push the small splines/ wings on the plastic housing cover into place around the lamp unit & bumper to make it go in. Start by inserting the outer edge then really pay attention & as you start to push it shut slowly, push the lugs/ wings into the little appature for them which are really difficult to see unless your looking for it.
This is really the worst part & frustrating because the housing will not fully sit flush & pops open if you don’t get this bit right. Took me an hour and a half to figure the first side out & took me 3 mins to fit the other side 😂
Thanks CJD .. think I'll give it a go over the weekend :)
1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
6-speed Manual 5 Door.
Pure White/Black
Winter Pack, Reverse Camera
F/R mudflaps, keyless entry
Delivered - 1st March :D :D :D :D :D

Swsgm30

Post by Swsgm30 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:55 am

Troc2018 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:30 pm
I always thought the reason fog lights were slightly yellow was to see through the fog better than your headlights 🤔
Don't get a lot of fog in my area to be honest but do a bit of 'Country-Lane' driving so the extra brightness will be helpful in lightening the hedgerows .... PLUS .. I think they are more aesthetically pleasing - just a personal choice.
:D :D :D ;)
1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
6-speed Manual 5 Door.
Pure White/Black

Swsgm30

Post by Swsgm30 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:40 pm

Swsgm30 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:55 am
Troc2018 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:30 pm
I always thought the reason fog lights were slightly yellow was to see through the fog better than your headlights 🤔
Don't get a lot of fog in my area to be honest but do a bit of 'Country-Lane' driving so the extra brightness will be helpful in lightening the hedgerows .... PLUS .. I think they are more aesthetically pleasing - just a personal choice.
:D :D :D ;)
Mission accomplished .... the'Bits' just needed more serious persuasion ;) ;)

20190323_110715.jpg

20190323_105358.jpg

1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
6-speed Manual 5 Door.
Pure White/Black

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Definitely looks better Swsgm30. And I like the personalised number plate too :D

Not sure if I want to pull mine apart though, as it sounds as if there is a risk of plastic catches breaking. Is it all perfectly solid as before ?
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Swsgm30

Post by Swsgm30 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:15 pm

Impala wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:48 pm
Definitely looks better Swsgm30. And I like the personalised number plate too :D

Not sure if I want to pull mine apart though, as it sounds as if there is a risk of plastic catches breaking. Is it all perfectly solid as before ?
It turned out easier than I was expecting ... earlier in this thread CJD described the process but I had already stumbled at Stage1 where you have to use the hook (in the boot with the jack) to pull out the inside corner of the surrounding trim. The piece then 'peels' away towards the wheel arch trim with a series of crunches (these are the sticky-out bits on the trim detaching from corresponding holes in the bodywork) and if you're brave, the trim will seem to be going behind the arch trim but it's not .. the last 'yank' is back towards the centre of the car. Once the trim is detached the rest of the fit is simple (see CJD previously) .. refitting the trim is the reverse but again you have to be brave, once you line the lugs up (you'll have seen them by now on the back of the trim) and give them a thump with the heel of your hand working from the wheel arch to the centre of the car - they'll click into place .. et voila :!: :!:
You will do the 2nd one in a fraction of the time - its just the 'unknown' doing the 1st.
Everything as solid as before and all 'panel-gaps' as tight as ever. :oops: :oops:
Good Luck ;) ;)
1.5 TSI R-Line 150PS EVO
6-speed Manual 5 Door.
Pure White/Black

CJD

Post by CJD » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:01 am

I’m glad you got it sorted Swsgm30. They look great !. 👍

Zastrola

Post by Zastrola » Wed May 22, 2019 2:18 pm

Any one know what number torx head for the fog light removal ,thanks in advance

brid

Post by brid » Wed May 22, 2019 5:30 pm

Certainly looks better for the change. It must be nice to have the freedom to change exterior bulbs and things ad-hoc.
Here, any modifications from OME, be they additions or even a minus anything, requires the car to be re-tested (like a MOT) and if the change is found acceptable then the changes are noted on the car documents and that change then becomes a set parameter of that vehicle, if not change it back. Big fines and no insurance if you get caught.
I know that this seems a little stupid but the rules are to stop any chipping and serious changes to the vehicle, exhausts, different wheel profiles, all are covered. Only permitted change is tyre brand. Its just sad that it filters down to such minor things. :x
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Grange Hill R18 Silver, Sports Pack, Safety Pack, Rebel Pack, Discover Media, Keyless, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed May 22, 2019 7:12 pm

I'm not sure about the legality of changing bulb types in the UK, as I know that the MOT test can be picky even if the amber indicator bulbs are not the correct colour. I once had to have indicator bulbs change because the yellow coating on the glass had started to fade !

Don't all cars sold in the UK have to have (type ?) approval based on the manufacturer's spec and build ?
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D