Problems with new Passat

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Post Reply
Ray Cathode
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Sun May 24, 2020 3:44 pm

I picked up my new Passat in early March and have a few questions. It is my first DSG. Dealer told me these cars no longer come with service books as all that info is kept online. This seems fair enough but I was surprised there was no manual on the Discover Navigation. I had a seperate booklet on the Composition Media for my last VW. There are some instructions contained in the Passat manual but not a lot.

There are two SD card slots for music playback in the glove compartment and none of them work. I have used a few different makes and sizes of card containing Flac and Mp3 files. I have tried them formatted in different  configurations. They worked fine on my previous VW and, just the other day, I tried them on a friend's 2018 Polo and they work on that too. Think I will bring it back for dealer to look at. What I did notice though that usually with cards you have to push them in slightly in order for them to pop out. On the Passat they can only be removed by using pliars!

When attempting to park the car in my garage using the D/S and R gears the car will suddenly come to juddering halt. Engine shuts off for a second or so then starts up again. I presume this is Automatic Breaking Intervention kicking in? I always disable Stop Start so it cannot be that. Much too violent as well. The manual says the ABI can be disabled by touching a symbol in the Infotainment screen but I cannot see such a symbol so what I have done is to press the Park Assist button near the gear lever to disable it. Only problem with this is that I cannot then see what's going on as all the cameras are off! Is it possible to disable ABI but keep the cameras on?

Also, last week I seem to have lost some WE Connect functions. The app now states the car is unlocked when it isn't. Journey data is no longer recorded and the car is not shown on Map feature  anymore. So it seems to have lost its GPS. Can this be switched this off somewhere in the menus? Maybe I did accidentally when faffing around.
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

User avatar
vernerbongo2
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:18 am

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by vernerbongo2 » Sun May 24, 2020 5:19 pm

Strange one with the SD card slots, mine has the discover media nav system although yours is more up to date.
One SD slot has the nav map SD card in it and the other is spare (which I haven't tried) to get out I have to push them in and the card pops half out.
Edit: just off the vw support section and it shows two 2019 discover media systems, one with SD card slots and one without. I'm guessing yours is the latter.

That volkswagen connect app I don't use, I never found anything useful on it and others on here say its very hit and miss.
Have you tried clearing the app data and just start from scratch again, pairing etc.

As for the reverse parking have you disabled manoeuvre braking on the infotainment screen?
Or try the button as circled in the photo to disable parking sensors, not sure if your camera will stay on?

Screenshot_20200524_180006.jpg

Screenshot_20200524_180006.jpg

_20200524_191056.JPG

Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

User avatar
twist
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by twist » Sun May 24, 2020 6:34 pm

Ray Cathode wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:44 pm
Also, last week I seem to have lost some WE Connect functions. The app now states the car is unlocked when it isn't.
Christ... don’t get me started on how piss-poor We Connect is. When it can’t connect to your car, it defaults to the “negative” status such as “windows are open”, “car is unlocked”, etc. instead of the sensible thing of simply stating “status unknown”. It’s a joke. It’s put together about as well as a student project.

It’s been a shambles since day one for me with 2 different T-Rocs. I say don’t waste your energy on such a failure of a system until they improve its reliability (but I doubt they will). Oh and it’s £15/month after your free trial. That’s not a joke. That fee doesn’t get you new features or anything and I would be surprised if they even release bug fixes. The same bugs that were present June 2019 are still present today. VW are a joke when it comes to software. It’s incredibly frustrating for someone who loves technology.

Others seem to have some positive things to say about the other parts of VW’s connected services (mainly to do with the built-in satnav) but to be honest I think CarPlay/AndroidAuto are that much better you’d be mad not to use them instead.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Ray Cathode
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Sun May 24, 2020 6:46 pm

Thanks. Cannot find anything to disable the auto braking in the menus. I think my menus may be different than yours. The button you circled was the one I pressed to disable this feature but it also shuts down the area view and side cameras. Too be honest its not the end of the world as I know exactly what's behind me when parking in the garage - a massive hedge! It did get me thinking though: why doesn't this feature kick in when I'm parking and there's another car behind me? Only happens in the garage situation.

The SD card slots are definitely not as they should be. Will bring it back for them to sort out. Agree with you about WE Connect but my missus told her insurance the car had a GPS tracker so she is now worried it may cause insurance issues if there's problems. I've logged a fault with the Digital team in Germany so will wait and see what comes up.
From the pics you posted I assume you also have Discover Navigation? Did you get a cd and DAB with it?
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

Ray Cathode
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Sun May 24, 2020 6:52 pm

twist wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:34 pm
Ray Cathode wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:44 pm
Also, last week I seem to have lost some WE Connect functions. The app now states the car is unlocked when it isn't.
Christ... don’t get me started on how piss-poor We Connect is. When it can’t connect to your car, it defaults to the “negative” status such as “windows are open”, “car is unlocked”, etc. instead of the sensible thing of simply stating “status unknown”. It’s a joke. It’s put together about as well as a student project.

It’s been a shambles since day one for me with 2 different T-Rocs. I say don’t waste your energy on such a failure of a system until they improve its reliability (but I doubt they will). Oh and it’s £15/month after your free trial. That’s not a joke. That fee doesn’t get you new features or anything and I would be surprised if they even release bug fixes. The same bugs that were present June 2019 are still present today. VW are a joke when it comes to software. It’s incredibly frustrating for someone who loves technology.

Others seem to have some positive things to say about the other parts of VW’s connected services (mainly to do with the built-in satnav) but to be honest I think CarPlay/AndroidAuto are that much better you’d be mad not to use them instead.
Beginning to come to the same conclusion. Seems a bit gimmicky to be honest. Didn't realise you had to pay. I thjnk I have it for three years. Unless I dreamt that.
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

User avatar
vernerbongo2
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:18 am

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by vernerbongo2 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:33 pm

Ray Cathode wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:46 pm

The SD card slots are definitely not as they should be. Will bring it back for them to sort out.
From the pics you posted I assume you also have Discover Navigation? Did you get a cd and DAB with it?
Your car doesn't have working SD card slots as I said, probably just the slots.
Your cars nav must be built into the discover media system and the map updates done over the Internet.
https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... d1313f982f
My discover media system has SD slots and cd player.

As for your parking

Screenshot_20200524_203132.jpg

You can see your owners manual here
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/manuals
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

User avatar
twist
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by twist » Sun May 24, 2020 8:25 pm

Ray Cathode wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:52 pm
I thjnk I have it for three years. Unless I dreamt that.
Correct, 3 year free trial then you need to pay. I believe the only thing you keep for free is the ability to use CarPlay/AndroidAuto.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Ray Cathode
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:33 pm
Ray Cathode wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:46 pm

The SD card slots are definitely not as they should be. Will bring it back for them to sort out.
From the pics you posted I assume you also have Discover Navigation? Did you get a cd and DAB with it?
Your car doesn't have working SD card slots as I said, probably just the slots.
Your cars nav must be built into the discover media system and the map updates done over the Internet.
https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... d1313f982f
My discover media system has SD slots and cd player.

As for your parking
Screenshot_20200524_203132.jpg

You can see your owners manual here
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/manuals
It's that function button on the Infotainment screen which I don't appear to have and that's why I used the button you highlighted in red in your previous post. Really confusing how all these VW systems differ. I don't have a cd player or DAB radio but I do have internet radio and streaming. Oh, and medium wave radio.

Edit: Reading your post again you seem to be suggesting the my car does not have working SD slots fitted?
Last edited by Ray Cathode on Sun May 24, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

User avatar
vernerbongo2
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:18 am

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by vernerbongo2 » Sun May 24, 2020 9:10 pm

Ray Cathode wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 pm
vernerbongo2 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 7:33 pm
Ray Cathode wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 6:46 pm

The SD card slots are definitely not as they should be. Will bring it back for them to sort out.
From the pics you posted I assume you also have Discover Navigation? Did you get a cd and DAB with it?
Your car doesn't have working SD card slots as I said, probably just the slots.
Your cars nav must be built into the discover media system and the map updates done over the Internet.
https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... d1313f982f
My discover media system has SD slots and cd player.

As for your parking
Screenshot_20200524_203132.jpg

You can see your owners manual here
https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/manuals
It's that function button on the Infotainment screen which I don't appear to have and that's why I used the button you highlighted in red in your previous post. Really confusing how all these VW systems differ. I don't have a cd player or DAB radio but I do have internet radio and streaming. Oh, and medium wave radio.
I honestly think you'd be better informed on a passat forum, those guys will know their cars inside out :P
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Ray Cathode
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Sun May 24, 2020 9:17 pm

Been there. Done it. Not much help at all really. But before I go the Infotainment system I have is Discover Navigation and that definitely is supposed to come with SD card slots.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology ... scover-nav
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

Post Reply