Problems with new Passat

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
User avatar
vernerbongo2
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:18 am

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by vernerbongo2 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 pm

Ray Cathode wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:42 pm
In other news I contacted VW via chat this morning who assured me the car ought to have a working card player in the glove box. Is that correct?
Here's one for you to try!
Turn on your infotainment system and press media and source see what comes up?
In theory what's not installed shouldn't come up?
Also if you have a music account you should be able to stream.
A USB pen drive would work too.
The photo is mine just now.

DSC_0011.JPG

Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Ray Cathode
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Tue May 26, 2020 7:54 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 pm
Ray Cathode wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:42 pm
In other news I contacted VW via chat this morning who assured me the car ought to have a working card player in the glove box. Is that correct?
Here's one for you to try!
Turn on your infotainment system and press media and source see what comes up?
In theory what's not installed shouldn't come up?
Also if you have a music account you should be able to stream.
A USB pen drive would work too.
The photo is mine just now.
DSC_0011.JPG
Almost 100% certain I have done that previously and SD card does not show up as a source. Will try again tomorrow. Why do you think they would have installed the slots if there was no intention of installing the units? It does seem odd. Looking further ahead, have I any options apart from swapping the car!!

Have not paid a lot of attention to the USB drives but if memory serves they are smaller thsn normal.
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

User avatar
vernerbongo2
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:18 am

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by vernerbongo2 » Tue May 26, 2020 9:09 pm

Ray Cathode wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 7:54 pm
vernerbongo2 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:14 pm
Ray Cathode wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:42 pm
In other news I contacted VW via chat this morning who assured me the car ought to have a working card player in the glove box. Is that correct?
Here's one for you to try!
Turn on your infotainment system and press media and source see what comes up?
In theory what's not installed shouldn't come up?
Also if you have a music account you should be able to stream.
A USB pen drive would work too.
The photo is mine just now.
DSC_0011.JPG
Almost 100% certain I have done that previously and SD card does not show up as a source. Will try again tomorrow. Why do you think they would have installed the slots if there was no intention of installing the units? It does seem odd. Looking further ahead, have I any options apart from swapping the car!!

Have not paid a lot of attention to the USB drives but if memory serves they are smaller thsn normal.
Cost cutting maybe, same front with a different unit behind?
I don't use any of it just the radio :lol:
I'd look at the USB route, try a pen drive.
How many USB sockets did you get?
Someone already mentioned the mobile phone which you didn't like.
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Impala
Posts: 1619
Joined: Sat May 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Impala » Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 pm

Most SD card readers connect to the system via a USB interface, so you should be able to get the same functionality, and a lot more storage capacity by using a USB memory stick or even an external USB SSD. I'll try this on my car tomorrow - if I can remember.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

User avatar
twist
Posts: 1100
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by twist » Tue May 26, 2020 10:51 pm

Are you able to take a photo of the control unit in the glovebox for us? So we can see the SD slots and the rest of the front of it.

I cannot imagine they’d add slots with nothing behind them. Even for VW that is a cost-cutting step too far.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

User avatar
vernerbongo2
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:18 am

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by vernerbongo2 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 pm

That's yours, I'm guessing the MY MEDIA refers to the USB port.
No other options.

Screenshot_20200527_005205.jpg

Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Ray Cathode
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 8:49 am

twist wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 10:51 pm
Are you able to take a photo of the control unit in the glovebox for us? So we can see the SD slots and the rest of the front of it.

I cannot imagine they’d add slots with nothing behind them. Even for VW that is a cost-cutting step too far.
Will do that today and post it this evening
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

Ray Cathode
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 8:55 am

Impala wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 pm
Most SD card readers connect to the system via a USB interface, so you should be able to get the same functionality, and a lot more storage capacity by using a USB memory stick or even an external USB SSD. I'll try this on my car tomorrow - if I can remember.
Have a USB stick arriving tomorrow so will load up some music and have a go. I presume all album art will be displayed on the screen just like SD cards? I also have a Western Digital portable hard drive which I use to back up all my music and photos I keep on my pc. It is very small in physical size but 1000 Gig.
The car will probably throw a wobbly if I connect that up but who cares? I will need a cable before doing that.
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

Ray Cathode
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 8:56 am

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:55 pm
That's yours, I'm guessing the MY MEDIA refers to the USB port.
No other options.
Screenshot_20200527_005205.jpg
Looks familar. Will confirm later.
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

Ray Cathode
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 24, 2020 12:28 pm

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 9:07 am

This car was a factory order as I had requested options. Thinking about this again last night here is what I think may have happened. As Vernerbongo2 has pointed out the 2020 Passat spec for the Infotainment does not include DAB, SD card or CD. But here’s the thing; when I ordered this car back in Nov 2019 the Infotainment package (Discover Navigation) DID include those and I ordered the car in the belief that the car would be delivered with that.
However, car was built early 2020 and so was fitted as per 2020 spec. I cannot think of any other explanation for what’s happened here.
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

Post Reply