Problems with new Passat

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Ray Cathode

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 9:30 am

Ray Cathode wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:07 am
This car was a factory order as I had requested options. Thinking about this again last night here is what I think may have happened. As Vernerbongo2 has pointed out the 2020 Passat spec for the Infotainment does not include DAB, SD card or CD. But here’s the thing; when I ordered this car back in Nov 2019 the Infotainment package (Discover Navigation) DID include those and I ordered the car in the belief that the car would be delivered with that.
However, car was built early 2020 and so was fitted as per 2020 spec. I cannot think of any other explanation for what’s happened here.
The change actually happened in 2019 so that's my theory shot down!
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:50 am

Was on auto trader and there seems to be a slight face-lift in general, lights, passat wrote across boot and yes I seen a 2019 with the sd cards/CD player.
There are two 2019 discover media systems.
At least you know now ;)

I still believe I'm right about turning off the manoeuvre braking, it has to be on the reverse screen if you say its not in settings.
Have a good footer around with it.
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Ray Cathode

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 10:25 am

Just got off the phone with the dealer. The new Passat came on line in September/October and that's when the new infotainment systems were installed. I knew there was a new style Passat in the offing when I ordered the car in November and I also knew my car would be the newer style. I made a mistake in assuming the Infotainment wouldn't be changed and so expected to have sd slots etc. So that's down to me. Not really a problem though as I have the USB option. What is a problem  is that the wife said she would always choose DAB over FM when she travelled to Cornwall or Norfolk. This is because her preferred station would always lose the FM signal, whereas the DAB was rock steady.

The dealer I spoke to said I do have DAB. I said I couldn't find it. He's going to get back to me on that.

I managed to find a USB type C adapter this morning so won't have to wait until tomorrow to try that.
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

twist

Post by twist » Wed May 27, 2020 10:27 am

Ray Cathode wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:55 am
Have a USB stick arriving tomorrow so will load up some music and have a go. I presume all album art will be displayed on the screen just like SD cards? I also have a Western Digital portable hard drive which I use to back up all my music and photos I keep on my pc. It is very small in physical size but 1000 Gig.
The car will probably throw a wobbly if I connect that up but who cares? I will need a cable before doing that.
Just a word of caution: I wouldn’t recommend using the Western Digital one if it’s a traditional spinning-disk hard drive. If you hear it spin up each time you plug it in, it’s one of them. The bouncing of the car will wreck that for sure within a few minutes; they’re not designed to me moving while operational. You should always use solid state drives in cars: either an external SSD or a USB thumb drive.

In fact the WD drive may not even work when plugged in anyway as spinning drives require power and your car’s USB port may not be powered.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Ray Cathode

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 10:37 am

twist wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:27 am
Ray Cathode wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:55 am
Have a USB stick arriving tomorrow so will load up some music and have a go. I presume all album art will be displayed on the screen just like SD cards? I also have a Western Digital portable hard drive which I use to back up all my music and photos I keep on my pc. It is very small in physical size but 1000 Gig.
The car will probably throw a wobbly if I connect that up but who cares? I will need a cable before doing that.
Just a word of caution: I wouldn’t recommend using the Western Digital one if it’s a traditional spinning-disk hard drive. If you hear it spin up each time you plug it in, it’s one of them. The bouncing of the car will wreck that for sure within a few minutes; they’re not designed to me moving while operational. You should always use solid state drives in cars: either an external SSD or a USB thumb drive.

In fact the WD drive may not even work when plugged in anyway as spinning drives require power and your car’s USB port may not be powered.
Thanks. That makes sense. It's actually a Seagate but I found an adapter in a drawer so will use a USB stick instead.
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:52 am

DAB radio is an optional extra on your system, if it was there you'd have found it by now 8-)

sketch-1590357903604.jpg

Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.

Ray Cathode

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 12:27 pm

I certainly would have chosen that option had I been made aware of the changes.
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

twist

Post by twist » Wed May 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Ray Cathode wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:27 pm
Yup, I smell bullshit. If you picked your options as a MY19 then that’s what you should have got, or you should have been made aware of the changes by your dealer and offered options. See what they say but if it were me, I’d kick up hell.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Wed May 27, 2020 1:13 pm

twist wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:45 pm
Ray Cathode wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:27 pm
Yup, I smell bullshit. If you picked your options as a MY19 then that’s what you should have got, or you should have been made aware of the changes by your dealer and offered options. See what they say but if it were me, I’d kick up hell.
The simple fact is, the salesmen weren't up to speed with all the changes in the face-lift model.
See if they can add DAB free by coding it, I'd say its probably there but just needs activated?

If you know someone with vcds or obdeleven diagnostics/programmer get them to take a look.
The photo attached shows the DAB activated on my discover media system I'd say yours just needs activated ;)

sketch-1590584540603.png

RedRoc

Post by RedRoc » Wed May 27, 2020 2:12 pm

Seems strange that while we are told that DAB is going to be the way forward and eventualy FM is to be turned off - VW decides to only put DAB on top models. Do they know something that we don't?
Granted they chopped a lot out of the Passat when 'refreshing' last year, which is why I'm keeping mine for a bit longer.
I actually like a lot of the content on DAB, but the reception around here is very 'hit n miss', so rarely change from FM.
T-Roc 1.0 SE Flash Red -