Problems with new Passat

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Ray Cathode

Re: Problems with new Passat

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 3:03 pm

Unfortunately, I don't anyone with the diagnostic stuff but if it turns out to be a matter of tweaking the existing unit then I'm starting to feel better already. My dealer, who informed me this morning that my unit has DAB, hasn't got back to me yet. When I told him it didn't he said he would check. Long time checking.
So without the benefit of the OBD 11, I was thinking of asking the Digital Team in Germany if it's just a matter of coding. I am presently talking to them about the WE stuff. It is now working fine and I told I would get back to them after I had driven the car early this evening.
Passat Estate SE NAV 7 speed DSG
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Wed May 27, 2020 4:11 pm

RedRoc wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 2:12 pm
reception around here is very 'hit n miss', so rarely change from FM.
Mines never off Fm around my part of the world, crap or zero DAB reception :? :roll:

Ray, mine has everything you want that I don't use :lol:
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed May 27, 2020 6:05 pm

I copied some music files to a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB drive and confirmed that it works in my T-Roc Discover Navigation. I used a 32GB drive formatted as Fat32 but it should work with smaller or bigger drives too. The Ultra Fit is very small and unobtrusive, but you can use any USB pen drive or memory stick.

Ultra Fit USB Drive:

P1060111a.jpg

It is best if the drive only has your music files, as other files/folders can confuse the Infotainment system and prevent the music being found. I've included a couple of pics showing the directory/folder structure for Artists/Albums and contents of a typical Album folder showing music and album art (cover) files. These folders etc. were orginally created from CDs using Windows Media Player on a PC and subsequently copied to an SDHC card originally for my Golf.

Folder structure showing Artists and Albums:

Music Folder View.jpg

Typical Album Contents showing individual Track files:

Music Tracks.jpg

While testing this, I noticed a couple of dummy SD card slots in my glove compartment to the left of the CD player and real SD card slots. Ses the pic below, where they are clearly marked SD.

Dummy SD Card Slots:

P1060109.JPG

Regarding FM vs DAB, I believe the switch off of FM has been postponed (indefinitely ?) due to difficulty receiving DAB signals across rural areas of the country. The main advantage of DAB is that if you are tuned to a particular station which may be broadcast on different FM frequencies in different areas, DAB will automatically keep that station, whereas FM will pick up a new station on the same frequncy which means you have to retune.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Ray Cathode

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 7:11 pm

twist wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:27 am
Ray Cathode wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:55 am
Have a USB stick arriving tomorrow so will load up some music and have a go. I presume all album art will be displayed on the screen just like SD cards? I also have a Western Digital portable hard drive which I use to back up all my music and photos I keep on my pc. It is very small in physical size but 1000 Gig.
The car will probably throw a wobbly if I connect that up but who cares? I will need a cable before doing that.
Just a word of caution: I wouldn’t recommend using the Western Digital one if it’s a traditional spinning-disk hard drive. If you hear it spin up each time you plug it in, it’s one of them. The bouncing of the car will wreck that for sure within a few minutes; they’re not designed to me moving while operational. You should always use solid state drives in cars: either an external SSD or a USB thumb drive.

In fact the WD drive may not even work when plugged in anyway as spinning drives require power and your car’s USB port may not be powered.
We have lift off!!!

20200527_164718.jpg

Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

Ray Cathode

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 7:14 pm

vernerbongo2 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:50 am
Was on auto trader and there seems to be a slight face-lift in general, lights, passat wrote across boot and yes I seen a 2019 with the sd cards/CD player.
There are two 2019 discover media systems.
At least you know now ;)

I still believe I'm right about turning off the manoeuvre braking, it has to be on the reverse screen if you say its not in settings.
Have a good footer around with it.
Sorry, in my excitement I forgot to look for that but......

20200527_191140.jpg

Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

Ray Cathode

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 7:16 pm

Glove box

20200527_173727.jpg

Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

Ray Cathode

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 7:19 pm

Other side.

20200527_173710.jpg

Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

Ray Cathode

Post by Ray Cathode » Wed May 27, 2020 7:31 pm

Impala wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 6:05 pm
I copied some music files to a SanDisk Ultra Fit USB drive and confirmed that it works in my T-Roc Discover Navigation. I used a 32GB drive formatted as Fat32 but it should work with smaller or bigger drives too. The Ultra Fit is very small and unobtrusive, but you can use any USB pen drive or memory stick.

Ultra Fit USB Drive:

P1060111a.jpg

It is best if the drive only has your music files, as other files/folders can confuse the Infotainment system and prevent the music being found. I've included a couple of pics showing the directory/folder structure for Artists/Albums and contents of a typical Album folder showing music and album art (cover) files. These folders etc. were orginally created from CDs using Windows Media Player on a PC and subsequently copied to an SDHC card originally for my Golf.

Folder structure showing Artists and Albums:

Music Folder View.jpg

Typical Album Contents showing individual Track files:

Music Tracks.jpg

While testing this, I noticed a couple of dummy SD card slots in my glove compartment to the left of the CD player and real SD card slots. Ses the pic below, where they are clearly marked SD.

Dummy SD Card Slots:

P1060109.JPG

Regarding FM vs DAB, I believe the switch off of FM has been postponed (indefinitely ?) due to difficulty receiving DAB signals across rural areas of the country. The main advantage of DAB is that if you are tuned to a particular station which may be broadcast on different FM frequencies in different areas, DAB will automatically keep that station, whereas FM will pick up a new station on the same frequncy which means you have to retune.
That's exactly what I used this afternoon. They are tiny but was really hot when I took it out. In storage compartment so invisible really. Glad it has been sorted. Thanks to all of you who helped.
Mar 2020
Area View Camera
Discover Navigation
Park Assist
Proper spare wheel

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed May 27, 2020 7:40 pm

Yes, the Ultra Fit drives run a bit hot and you may prefer finding something a bit bigger physically in Currys/PC World as they usually run cooler or cold.

I can only guess the dummy card slots on your car and on the T-Roc are perhaps for other markets/geographies where working card slots may be available as standard or options when other Infotainment systems are used. Strange way to do it and very confusing for customers as you have found.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Bigwheel

Post by Bigwheel » Wed May 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Those non functioning slots are likely to be storage positions for SD cards.

Somewhat similar to coin slots that many cars used to have around the gear shift.

Just saying...........