Tyre pressure clarification request

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Hawkeye

Re: Tyre pressure clarification request

Post by Hawkeye » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:56 pm

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:25 pm
I didn't say they were built for absorbing bumps 🤷‍♂️
It's common sense that the less air pressure there is in a tyre the more flex there will be in the rubber compound, therefore the road surface imperfections will be better absorbed.
Also I never mentioned going outside of volkswagens recommended tyre pressures 😎
Indeed you didn't say they were built for absorbing bumps nor mention going outside of VW recommended air pressures, although it's interesting that VW have now chosen to remove what they term as the "comfort" pressure on T-ROC's built since about mid-2020. It would interesting to know why, although I somehow doubt we'll ever get an answer if asked of them.

I still disagree with you about road imperfections being better absorbed - try driving down a small pothole (or similar imperfection) with a tyre at "comfort" pressure and then again with a tyre at what I would term the "normal" pressure and you'd feel the impact of the small pothole more with the tyre set at the "comfort" pressure. Personally with the standard semi-low profile tyres fitted to the 19" rims on my T-Roc, if I used comfort pressures then there would be very little tyre wall available to flex between the rim and the road - with non-low profile tyres on smaller rims on other models then with the taller tyre wall, more opportunity for flex and less opportunity for rim damage.

Still - we'll have to agree to disagree on this, as clearly we have differing views.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:52 pm

Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:56 pm
Deleted user 925 wrote:
It's common sense that the less air pressure there is in a tyre the more flex there will be in the rubber compound, therefore the road surface imperfections will be better absorbed.
Also I never mentioned going outside of volkswagens recommended tyre pressures 😎
Still - we'll have to agree to disagree on this, as clearly we have differing views.
No problem with that, it's only our opinions.
That's what the forum is all about 🙃👌
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Pine Man

Post by Pine Man » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:05 pm

Hawkeye

I have been reading this post with interest and following your comments I have done some research and there is no doubt whatsoever that low pressure in your tyres can have all sorts of undesirable effects with regard to safety, tyre wear and fuel economy. However all the sites I checked were unanimous on one thing - no matter how undesirable softer tyres are they do give you a smoother ride.
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Indium Grey Metallic Black
Lumbar Support Reverse Camera
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:49 pm

Pine Man wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:05 pm
Hawkeye

I have been reading this post with interest and following your comments I have done some research and there is no doubt whatsoever that low pressure in your tyres can have all sorts of undesirable effects with regard to safety, tyre wear and fuel economy. However all the sites I checked were unanimous on one thing - no matter how undesirable softer tyres are they do give you a smoother ride.
Indeed that does seem to be the case @Pine Man which is really quite interesting and makes me wonder if there is a "maximum percentage" that one can do that and retain the smoothness (as I would think that at some stage, reducing it too much would classify it as "flat" LOL). I'll look into that if only for my own benefit, but thanks for the insight and clarification, appreciated.

As an aside your post led me to look further into some other articles on tyres and discovered that one can actually purchase tyres that are classified as "comfort" - now that's a new one on me!
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

brid

Post by brid » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:51 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:56 pm
Deleted user 925 wrote:
Indeed you didn't say they were built for absorbing bumps nor mention going outside of VW recommended air pressures, although it's interesting that VW have now chosen to remove what they term as the "comfort" pressure on T-ROC's built since about mid-2020. It would interesting to know why, although I somehow doubt we'll ever get an answer if asked of them.

I still disagree with you about road imperfections being better absorbed - try driving down a small pothole (or similar imperfection) with a tyre at "comfort" pressure and then again with a tyre at what I would term the "normal" pressure and you'd feel the impact of the small pothole more with the tyre set at the "comfort" pressure. Personally with the standard semi-low profile tyres fitted to the 19" rims on my T-Roc, if I used comfort pressures then there would be very little tyre wall available to flex between the rim and the road - with non-low profile tyres on smaller rims on other models then with the taller tyre wall, more opportunity for flex and less opportunity for rim damage.

That's the trouble with running on elastic bands, you have nowhere to go, so comfort pressure is not truly an option.
I suppose it depends on the roads you usually travel upon.
Unless you have a majority of decent tarmac to run on (potholes apart) one would soon be letting a bit of air out, and the comment made about running hotter and having less control well, in summer here the road surfaces can be around the 50 to 80+ºC so that don't truly add up either - unless VW are putting on different rubber for each clime, which I doubt. I think summer tyres are called that for a reason, for use in warmer conditions, but certainly not just UK summer temps. Anyway, doesn't the tyre air pressure increase with heat?
I think like quite a few others, I prefer to lose the odd PSI rather than my fillings :)
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019

16Hollywood

Post by 16Hollywood » Sat May 01, 2021 5:57 pm

Hi. Don’t know if anyone is till reading this thread. I have recently taken delivery of a new SE model and the ride seems considerably harder then the test drive. Tyres are Michelin 215/55 R17. I had thought about a comfort setting which my old golf had, but not the T-roc. VW say the pressure should be 36 psi but Michelin and a few others say 30? Logic says go with what VW say but the comfort setting (lower pressure) on the golf was more comfortable. Any thoughts?

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Sat May 01, 2021 6:27 pm

I would go back to the dealership and try another T roc if possible with the same spec/tyres also check to make sure they have removed the transportation blocks as this would make the suspension very firm. The T roc on 17” wheels should be a really smooth ride as the tyres aren’t low profile so it might be worth double checking the pressures.
Ordered R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey 11/03/19
Built wk 34 and in transit 23/08/19
Arrived at the UK Port. 11/09/19
Due for collection 23/09/19

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat May 01, 2021 6:48 pm

16Hollywood wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:57 pm
Hi. Don’t know if anyone is till reading this thread. I have recently taken delivery of a new SE model and the ride seems considerably harder then the test drive. Tyres are Michelin 215/55 R17. I had thought about a comfort setting which my old golf had, but not the T-roc. VW say the pressure should be 36 psi but Michelin and a few others say 30? Logic says go with what VW say but the comfort setting (lower pressure) on the golf was more comfortable. Any thoughts?

Have you actually measured the pressure of each tyre ?

Tyres are usually over inflated (up to 45 psi or more) when cars leave the factory and the dealer sometimes fails to set the correct pressures before customer hand over.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

john boy

Post by john boy » Sun May 02, 2021 9:52 am

It was a far better system on my Qashqai , The read out on the dash actually told me what pressure was in each tyre , Just something I will miss since buying the T- ROC .

16Hollywood

Post by 16Hollywood » Sun May 02, 2021 3:55 pm

Yes they were overinflated at delivery, but they are now as per VW recommendations.