Servicing intervals/WeConnect

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Pine Man

Servicing intervals/WeConnect

Post by Pine Man » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:21 pm

My T Roc was delivered on/or about 20 August 2020 and I do about 4000 miles a year.

My first service should be on 20 August 2021. However, according to WeConnect, my next first (oil) sevice is due in 69 days or 8300 miles but in 69 days it will only be 3 July, which is well over a month early.

Similarly my inspection service is due in 434 days or 18900 miles, once again 6/7 weeks early.

Anybody else come across this?

Mind you WeConnect keeps telling me that the windows are open and at least one of the doors is also open!! The only thing WeConnect was ever any good for was on my last car, a Golf GTE, and I could turn the heat/AC on in advance in the winter/summer.
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Indium Grey Metallic Black
Lumbar Support Reverse Camera
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20

Impala

Re: Servicing intervals/WeConnect

Post by Impala » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:20 pm

Cars can be set to either a fixed or variable service interval and the dealer is supposed to ask you which type you want so that the workshop can configure the car before delivery. I have found most sales staff never ask me, so I always make a point of telling them and then check the next service details shown in the car's instruments soon after delivery. I would never rely on WeConnect.

A fixed service is due every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever is first.

A variable service is due at a mileage/date decided by the engine control software but will be no later than 20,000 miles or 24 months, whichever is first. The specific mileage/date is determined by the type of journeys you make (distance, frequency, stop/starts, gear changes, ambient temperature etc.) and your style of driving (speed, acceleration, engine load etc.). Variable service intervals are normally chosen by and best suited to those who do a high mileage at steady speeds, such as those commuting daily by motorway.

Even with lockdown restrictions affecting journeys, I would be surprised if a variable service would be due at 11 months or 8,300 miles, and the service indicator in the car usually activates about 28 days before the due/forecast date.

If you want a fixed service interval, I suggest you wait until the service indicator in the car comes on, or you reach the 10,000 mile / 12 month point and then contact your dealer service department to book the service. If this happens earlier than the mileage/date indicated by WeConnect, ask the service department if you can delay the service to the proper interval.

If you want a variable service interval, speak to your service department now and ask for advice.

In either case, make sure you instruct the service department to set/confirm the correct service interval during servicing.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Pine Man

Post by Pine Man » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:38 pm

Thanks for that. I'll hang on and see what happens nearer the time and contact my dealer if neccesary.
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:03 pm

That's not quite how I understand it @Impala. My understanding is that the car is supposed to be set on fixed (annual) servicing if you do less than 10k miles a year, if you do over 10k miles a year then it is supposed to be on variable servicing. So if you only do 4k miles a year it should be set on fixed and serviced every 12 months, over 10K a year and the car will calculate when it is due but usually its no later than about 18-20 months.

That said that's only after its 3 years old - for the first 3 years, fixed (annual ) servicing is recommended

At least that's my understanding of what's said here https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and ... -schedules
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

peterh

Post by peterh » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:25 am

I do not really understand why you have to make the decision about servicing intervals Milage etc. If the sensors and recording of your driving style works why doesn’t the car tell you it needs servicing at 12 months or 10,000miles, or you haven’t done too many cold starts and driven it too hard so you are told to service the car at 18 months -two years or 15,000 or 20,000 miles the car actually gives you some useful servicing information instead of you having to make the decision?

Pine Man

Post by Pine Man » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:18 am

I just checked out the info in my T Roc and it gets more confusing!!

According to the car my first service (oil) is due in 65 days or 8200 miles, which makes it the beginning of July now.

I will leave it until:-
a) I get close to the anniversary of the cars delivery, 20/8/21, when I will book it in for a service or,
b) I get contacted before it's anniversary when I will have 'meaningful discussions' with my dealer.

'Meaningful discussions'. That should be interesting! When my last car (Golf GTE) had a service my dealer told me I needed to consider having the spare changed as it was getting low. When I told him there wasn't one he laughed at me and said I'd be surprised how many Golf owners didn't know where the spare was! I invited him to show me (on a GTE the HV battery is where the spare should be) and there were some very red faces and they got even redder when I asked if I could speak to the 'mechanic' who measured the depth of the tread on the spare that didn't exist.
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20

Pine Man

Post by Pine Man » Sun May 02, 2021 10:34 am

Just noticed that I kept referring to my delivery date of 20/8/20 when, if I had looked at my signature, I would have seen it was actually 10/8/20!!

Still it is still shown for service in excess of a month early.
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20

AV82

Post by AV82 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:23 pm

Its a long time since I posted a conversation but I have just had the same experience on servicing. My car is now approaching three years old and I had a service date pop up which is a month early. I rang the telephone number to ask why it was booked in a year early. The call,was fielded by a call centre which deals with a number of car makes not specifically VW. The operator said it was due and when I asked for it to be reshecduled for 23rd July one month on I was told that I was advised that this would put the warranty at risk by going over its service date!! What?? I called into my dealer and booked it in but when asked if he could confirm my service plan, I was told it wasn't on the system. When I purchased the car I had two years free servicing but paid for years three and four and they had no record of it. Good job I had kept the paperwork for the service plan. It seems to me that the service provided is getting worse. Cost cutting and pooling resources centrally are not what customer service is about. A name and a face is much better in my opinion.

On the subject of the car after three years, it has been great. Apart from warranty work on rear spoiler, rear brake pads and Car Play module it has been faultless. The biggest and ongoing problem has been with We Connect and We Connect Go app on my iPhone. I am not sure anyone can fix the issues and I believe it is not fit for purpose. Other than that I have a decent enough mpg around town and over 50mpg when using ACC on motorway/ A roads.
1.5TSI 150ps petrol EVO R-Line 7spd DSG White Silver Black Roof 2018 R-Line signature trim.

peterh

Post by peterh » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:28 pm

Has anyone considered the countdown for service starts when the car is manufactured and not when you collect the car may be 6 to 8 weeks after it was constructed.

Pine Man

Post by Pine Man » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:58 pm

I had a call yesterday from my dealer notifying me that my first service was due in about three weeks and I should book it in.

I asked why it was about six weeks earlier than I expected as all my previous VWs were serviced annually on the anniversary of delivery to me. The response I got was that it was the onboard computer that worked it out and if my mileage was a bit higher than expected it would be called in earlier. My mileage since August 2020 has just reached 1400 miles and when I told her the phone went quiet for a while and then she said that low mileage would do it as well!

When I got the car I took out a two year service plan and when I told her that she said that I would have to have other work not included in the plan which would cost just under £40. I can't remember what the additional work was but when I pressed her she admitted it was advisory.
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20