Servicing intervals/WeConnect

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Hawkeye

Re: Servicing intervals/WeConnect

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:59 am

Pine Man wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:58 pm
I had a call yesterday from my dealer notifying me that my first service was due in about three weeks and I should book it in.

I asked why it was about six weeks earlier than I expected as all my previous VWs were serviced annually on the anniversary of delivery to me. The response I got was that it was the onboard computer that worked it out and if my mileage was a bit higher than expected it would be called in earlier. My mileage since August 2020 has just reached 1400 miles and when I told her the phone went quiet for a while and then she said that low mileage would do it as well!

When I got the car I took out a two year service plan and when I told her that she said that I would have to have other work not included in the plan which would cost just under £40. I can't remember what the additional work was but when I pressed her she admitted it was advisory.
Amazing. I too had the 2 years service plan on my 2.0 R-Line TSi, and I can advise that when it had its first service at one year old, there was absolutely no "additional" work, advisory or otherwise needed.

Just had the second service done at 2 years old under the plan back in March, and when I checked it in, they told me that the brake fluid needed changing at 2 years. I queried that, as I know from experience of my Audi's that the first brake fluid change is at 3 years from new, then every 2 years thereafter. Turns out that I was correct - now why don't dealerships know this!!!!! The only other thing they recommended was a disinfecting of the air-con system (which I did authorise, as it always helps to have the system cleaned every couple of years), yet later in the day, they recommended that I needed a complete re-gas, so I said if that was the case they could do it under warranty as no way should an air-con system need re-gassing after 2 years at which point they admitted that if everything was "blowing cold", then no need for a re-gas. So that was another £169 "advisory" saved.

Lesson from all this is to know what needs doing at what service interval and not be "advised" by their need to shake a few more shekels from your pocket unnecessarily.

Oh - and if you have the sun-roof - that apparently needs servicing every 2 years (correct), AUDI I know charge about £125 for doing this (I haven't asked the VW cost, as you can buy the proper grease for doing the job yourself at the spares counter for about £10 or so).

I have no problem with work that needs to be done at proper intervals being done and go out of my way to understand what that may be; but every time they have an "advisory" I do ask them to show me the VW service schedule indicating that that work is necessary or advised, ALSO why they never mentioned it when I booked the car in.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Pine Man

Post by Pine Man » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:04 am

'Lesson from all this is to know what needs doing at what service interval and not be "advised" by their need to shake a few more shekels from your pocket unnecessarily.'

When I take it in I will grill them further on what they wanted to 'advisorily' do and post back here.
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Indium Grey Metallic Black
Lumbar Support Reverse Camera
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20

Pine Man

Post by Pine Man » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:47 am

I have found out what my dealer wanted to advisorily do at my next (first) service.

NEW! Fuel & Air Care Service

NEW! The integrity of the fuel system is critical to maintain maximum performance and fuel economy. With these issues we recommend our Fuel Purge is used as a standard part of every service. The Air Con Purge has been specially formulated to remove unpleasant odours caused by the growth of mould, fungi, mildew and other contamination. The Price for our Fuel & Air Care service is just £39.99 and is recommended every 12 months.
UK R-Line 2.0 TSI DSG 4M
Indium Grey Metallic Black
Lumbar Support Reverse Camera
Ordered 2/3/20
Collected 10/8/20

Impala

Post by Impala » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pm

The three posts immediately above suggest that the work and prices which is included in a service is variable, as well as the service schedule.

I had my 2nd annual (fixed schedule) service done about 3 weeks ago, and I was advised by the dealer that an air con service (£96) was recommended.

My first inclination was to decline this air con service, but I went to the main Volkswagen web site, where after selecting Owners & Drivers, then Book a Service or MOT, if you have register your car or enter the details you get shown a list of upcoming service events and a not very detailed service history. Mine showed the 2nd annual service was due and it also showed the 'advisory' air con service. I did a bit of digging on the VW site to get details of the air con service and found that there are 2 levels of AC service - one is called Refresh or Disinfection service which is a basic cleaning of the air flow and vents and costs about £30, and the other is a full service including the cleaning as in the Refresh service plus a full gas drain and recharge and costs around £96. It is the latter full service which is recommended after 2 years.

See here for details ... https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners-and ... car-checks

After a bit more digging, I found that the 'gas' used in the system also contains lubricants and preservatives for the pump and hoses and it was inferred that a failure of the system will not be covered by the warranty if this service is not done at the recommended interval. I decided to play safe and have the service done. As I said, it cost me £96 incl VAT.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:38 am

Impala wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pm

After a bit more digging, I found that the 'gas' used in the system also contains lubricants and preservatives for the pump and hoses and it was inferred that a failure of the system will not be covered by the warranty if this service is not done at the recommended interval. I decided to play safe and have the service done. As I said, it cost me £96 incl VAT.
I've only ever heard of people needing to go for a re-gas after their system stopped blowing out cold air & never getting a service at all prior to that.
I'm not saying that car manufacturers don't recommend servicing them though.
I had my Nissan x-trail 13.5 years, never got the AC serviced & never needed a re-gas the whole time.
I wonder if things have changed since then 🤔🤷‍♂️

I bet they just turned your AC on to check it's blowing cold air 🤔
September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Impala

Post by Impala » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:39 pm

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:38 am
Impala wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pm

I've only ever heard of people needing to go for a re-gas after their system stopped blowing out cold air & never getting a service at all prior to that.
I'm not saying that car manufacturers don't recommend servicing them though.
I had my Nissan x-trail 13.5 years, never got the AC serviced & never needed a re-gas the whole time.
I wonder if things have changed since then 🤔🤷‍♂️

I bet they just turned your AC on to check it's blowing cold air 🤔

Even independent mechanics and garages recommend an air con recharge every 2 years (and some say every year). Admittedly, this advisory/recommended air con service will not have safetly implications, unlike failing to change brake fluid at the recommended intervals.

But the air con service does more than just replace the gas. Do a bit of Googling and you will find lots of info. As I mention, the gas is mixed with special oil lubricant for moving parts in the system.

As for things moving on, yes they inevitably do and this is reflected in different aspects. In particular, recent environmental regulations have stipulated that all UK vehicles with air conditioning manufactured since 1st January 2017 must use new R1234YF air con gas which is more environmentally friendly. Since this date, manufacturers are no longer allowed to use the older R134A air con gas in a bid to reduce global warming. To allow manufacturers time to switch over, vehicles built between 2014 and 2016 could use either gas. I assume all T-Rocs will use R1234YF gas.

KwikFit charge £59.95 to recharge cars using the old R134A gas, and £129.95 for cars using the new R1234YF. It is not possible to switch between gases, and the recharging port on cars using R1234YF gas is different to the recharging port on cars using R134A, making it impossible to refill with the incorrect gas.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D