Towing with a 1.5 SEL DSG

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Jasonob1

Towing with a 1.5 SEL DSG

Post by Jasonob1 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:04 pm

Hi all

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the sunshine.

My wife and I are considering purchasing a caravan. It’s only a Swift Base Camp which weighs in at 891kg. I was wondering if anyone has experience pulling anything of a similar weight with the same engine and transmission.

Also, we’ll have to have a tow bar fitted so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Atlantic Blue
1.5 SEL DSG without paddles
18" Montego Bay wheels
Panoramic Roof
Reverse Camera
Electric Tailgate
Driver assistant pack plus
Keyless entry and go.

DJohn

Re: Towing with a 1.5 SEL DSG

Post by DJohn » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:45 am

Hello Jason,

I had the same concern and could not find much around towing. I also have a 1.5 DSG SEL and tow a Dealer Special Bailey Phoenix 440 with a MTPLM of 1337kg. This is under the vehicle weight of 1348kg but very close, but we have a large amount of weight stored in the car when towing! This is the first time towing but we have had no issues what so ever and the T-Roc has a surprising amount of pull. You should not have any issues with 891kg.

The T-roc comes with trailer stability assist and the caravan has Al-KO ATC, but they have never needed to be used. One thing we have noticed is if doing a lot of slow moving just using the engine pull it can struggle so we have added motor movers to take off the strain on the engine. This may be because it took several attempts to get it in a tight spot :lol:

We wanted a removable towbar and went with the VW OEM one. Cannot complain, looks clean when removed and does the job. Is quite pricey though..

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help! :D
T-Roc SEL 1.5 TSI 150PS EVO 7-speed DSG
Ravenna Blue, Silver Roof rails

Additions
Sports Pack
Winter Pack
Driver Assistance Pack Plus
Lumbar Support
Electric Tailgate
KESSY

Jasonob1

Re: Towing with a 1.5 SEL DSG

Post by Jasonob1 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:18 pm

This is a great reply. Thanks so much for the information. I’m hopeful the local VW dealer will be able to assist with the tow bar install.

I’ll certainly be back in touch if I have any further questions.

Thanks again.
Atlantic Blue
1.5 SEL DSG without paddles
18" Montego Bay wheels
Panoramic Roof
Reverse Camera
Electric Tailgate
Driver assistant pack plus
Keyless entry and go.