1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
vag8

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by vag8 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:19 pm

There definitely has been a problem as I have been unlucky enough to own one with the issues, I have the slightly less powerful 1.5 130 engine that wasn’t fitted in the t-roc but was in the golf, been nothing but a pain in the ar*e since day one, all software fixes do date have not fixed it, and this is not a particularly torquey engine or it is at times except when you hit one of the dreaded flat spots, the number of times I have pulled out of junctions or onto roundabouts and had no power is frightening... VW have seem to concentrate on the issues with the 1.5 150 engine as it in use in a wider range of cars, I ask if the engine is now sorted as I have little/no confidence in the 1.5 platform, the previous 1.4 150 act was excellent in every way and never understood why it was ditched for the 1.5, the 1.4 is still in use throughout the world and is still widely praised, it’s even fitted in the Australian T-roc.
If they would switch back to it in the uk I would have it in a heart beat!

ritam

Post by ritam » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:42 pm

The switch from 1.4 to 1.5 has everything to do with the new WLTP standards, but I think this is another topic.
Grts

golfhp

Post by golfhp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:19 pm

vag8 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:19 pm
There definitely has been a problem as I have been unlucky enough to own one with the issues, I have the slightly less powerful 1.5 130 engine that wasn’t fitted in the t-roc but was in the golf, been nothing but a pain in the ar*e since day one, all software fixes do date have not fixed it, and this is not a particularly torquey engine or it is at times except when you hit one of the dreaded flat spots, the number of times I have pulled out of junctions or onto roundabouts and had no power is frightening... VW have seem to concentrate on the issues with the 1.5 150 engine as it in use in a wider range of cars, I ask if the engine is now sorted as I have little/no confidence in the 1.5 platform, the previous 1.4 150 act was excellent in every way and never understood why it was ditched for the 1.5, the 1.4 is still in use throughout the world and is still widely praised, it’s even fitted in the Australian T-roc.
If they would switch back to it in the uk I would have it in a heart beat!
Problems aren't sorted.
I have new car (from february 2020) 1.5tsi dpca with problems.

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:54 pm

I still don't understand why some early/late models are OK but others aren't, yet they are supposed to be built the same.
Are some components from different manufacturers?
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line revenna blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

vento2012

Post by vento2012 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:57 am

Thank you for the responses to my concern.
twist wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:23 am
Were you going uphill when it dropped you into 1st gear? My old T-Roc (MY19) used to do this at a particular corner I would take at less than 10mph as children frequently ran out from behind the hedges and across the road. The corner was also raised like a speed bump. It used to drive me crazy when the car would do this as it would stay in 1st until I’d revved enough for it to go back to 2nd (or I tip shifted up manually). Very jerky experience. But my current T-Roc doesn’t seem to do this at all (MY20). It shifts much smoother and exactly when I’d expect to in nearly all cases - but it’s the same DQ200 gearbox.

It may be worth contacting your local VW to see if there’s a gearbox software update that fixes this. This doesn’t look/sound like kangaroo to me, it seems more like bad-behaving DSG software.
It actually was downhill, with quite a few diggings in the road ( that happens often here in India ), and one or two speed bumps. If I remember correctly, the said experience happened on crossing the digging (2-3" deep cuts across the road). The technical team at the dealership has no idea as to what it is. Anyway I will be in touch with them for any DSG firmware update, that may be asked to do. You have indicated that the Model Year of your car is 2020. What is the month of manufacturing of your car ? The cars here in India are of model year 2020, while they were actually assembled in late Nov - Dec 2019 times.
Rodknock wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:49 pm
Watching the video, that switch to d1 and the jerk you describe may be the kangaroo itself, as on lower gears with a manual gearbox, the car also revs up when you let go the accelerator.

So for example, you're on first gear, and the car is rolling commanded by your input on the accel, then you lift off; the car will ALWAYS rev up on its own instead of going down (nonsense), around 200rpm, so you feel how when you lift off the pedal, rpm want to go down but they quickly rise 200 over what you had under your input, and that secuence makes you feel the jerk inside the car, as it quickly stops accelerating when you lift off, to accelerate on its own as if you pressed hard and sudden on the pedal.

On a DSG, this same behaviour may be the cause for it to change to D1, then back to D2, with the same jerk manuals do.

I wouldn't buy that car.
I understand your comparison with the manual behavior. You folks with car return policy are having tough times going by the experiences of owners. Here in India, we do not have any such provisions. Once bought one has to live with it or sell the car!

On the other hand, after having read through most of this thread, its not clear to me if there was one reason or more for the kangaroo. Is it the injectors or the ACT engine or the DSG software or all of these together caused the issue. Or is it only cold country issue ? Was this issue seen during warmer conditions in UK or elsewhere in Europe ?

Impala

Post by Impala » Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:02 pm

vento2012 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:57 am

The cars here in India are of model year 2020, while they were actually assembled in late Nov - Dec 2019 times.
The Model Year changes around the end of July, which is probably to align with changes to EU regulations which generally come in to effect from August.

So MY20 runs from August 2019 through July 2020 then MY21 commences from August 2020.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

iMZee

Post by iMZee » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:48 am

I have a mk8 golf with the 1.5 150hp engine. I have had no issues resembling this thread. The car it self I think was made in feb as the tyres have a dot code of 0620. Picked up the car on the 27th July though (first owner).