1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Hawkeye

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by Hawkeye » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 pm

IanW wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 pm
Also, just to say, I think mine is getting worse the more miles I do in it. Just approaching 1000 miles now and seems worse than ever. Not sure if it's connected but my MPG is rubbish too. I have only once hit 40 mpg (just) on ANY journey and I'm typically getting 32. Commute to work sometimes less than 30 in moderate traffic. Not at all what I was expecting from the 1.5 engine.
To be honest IMO, it's way too early to say how your overall mpg is working out in my opinion - given you have only done 1,000 miles, some of them running in, some of them as you say doing 30mph in moderate traffic (no doubt with more than a few stop starts). Under those conditions mpg will always be poor. You need a good mixture of town work and running at motorway speeds before you realistically get a good perception of overall mpg.

Given what you say the conditions you have been running your under, then as I say, I'm not surprised its poor. I'd put money on if you had done 1000 motorway miles at a steady pace, the mpg would be significantly different
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Built 11-12-18,
Currently in transit

Newtroconthebloc

Post by Newtroconthebloc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:02 am

I’ve had mine now for a week and done 400miles, so far I am unsure if mine is a sufferer or not. I’m sure others will say ‘if you have it you will know about it’ and if they say that I probably haven’t. So, when I first drove off smiling from the dealership I was obviously very cautious but found the first part of the excelorator pedal very sensitive and found it quite difficult to pull away smoothly, if there is a jerk it causes you to move and consequently you are not able to maintain a steady press on the pedal causing a kangaroo effect. Also being very cautious I changed into 2nd early and a similar thing happened until speed increased and the pedal ‘feel’ became noticeable.
My previous car needed a firm pressure so the T Roc is quite different in this respect and the gear ratio was much closer enabling a shift to 2nd immediately once moving, I’m not suggesting it was better, it’s just so different. I’m now getting used to the difference and am very much enjoying it, only on occasions if pulling away uphill I tend to overdo the revs slightly in fear of not surpassing that initial light touch, however if in very slow moving traffic it is possible to declutch with no throttle and trickle along smoothly so I’m now convincing myself that it’s just the difference between the two cars characteristics.
I’m sure some of you reading this will be thinking ‘ what the hell have we got here, new driver etc’ but no, I’ve been driving for many many years and swapping between different car for much of life.
Please, somebody else back up my findings !.
1.5 SEL Petrol Manual Ravenna blue Sport pack power tailgate park assist reverse camera lumbar support (ordered 11 06 18) build w/c 1/10/18|at the dealers |collecting Thursday 3rd January 19.

Ang01

Post by Ang01 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:20 pm

Newtroconthebloc wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:02 am
I’ve had mine now for a week and done 400miles, so far I am unsure if mine is a sufferer or not. I’m sure others will say ‘if you have it you will know about it’ and if they say that I probably haven’t. So, when I first drove off smiling from the dealership I was obviously very cautious but found the first part of the excelorator pedal very sensitive and found it quite difficult to pull away smoothly, if there is a jerk it causes you to move and consequently you are not able to maintain a steady press on the pedal causing a kangaroo effect. Also being very cautious I changed into 2nd early and a similar thing happened until speed increased and the pedal ‘feel’ became noticeable.
My previous car needed a firm pressure so the T Roc is quite different in this respect and the gear ratio was much closer enabling a shift to 2nd immediately once moving, I’m not suggesting it was better, it’s just so different. I’m now getting used to the difference and am very much enjoying it, only on occasions if pulling away uphill I tend to overdo the revs slightly in fear of not surpassing that initial light touch, however if in very slow moving traffic it is possible to declutch with no throttle and trickle along smoothly so I’m now convincing myself that it’s just the difference between the two cars characteristics.
I’m sure some of you reading this will be thinking ‘ what the hell have we got here, new driver etc’ but no, I’ve been driving for many many years and swapping between different car for much of life.
Please, somebody else back up my findings !.
Think you need to drive slow in 1st gear when car cold to check if the fault is present.

Ang01

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo/self acceleration

Post by Ang01 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Those of you who have experienced the car pull away on its own or gain speed in 1st/ 2nd gear when cold need to contact VW head office as they say they are not aware of this fault.

Ednabucket

Post by Ednabucket » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 pm

I have to say, I'm not sure its a fault, if its anything like mine its just the anti stall doing its job and once you get used to it smooth getaways are easy, just let the car pull away with no throttle, what till the clutch is fully out then hit it. the main problem for me is the lack of feel between clutch and accelerator .
I haven't complained to VW about it because I'm not seeing it as a problem it's just very different.

Newtroconthebloc

Post by Newtroconthebloc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:02 pm

Ednabucket wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 pm
I have to say, I'm not sure its a fault, if its anything like mine its just the anti stall doing its job and once you get used to it smooth getaways are easy, just let the car pull away with no throttle, what till the clutch is fully out then hit it. the main problem for me is the lack of feel between clutch and accelerator .
I haven't complained to VW about it because I'm not seeing it as a problem it's just very different.
Yes, I agree but if it’s up hill you need a little throttle. Lack of feel is a good way of describing it.
1.5 SEL Petrol Manual Ravenna blue Sport pack power tailgate park assist reverse camera lumbar support (ordered 11 06 18) build w/c 1/10/18|at the dealers |collecting Thursday 3rd January 19.

Ednabucket

Post by Ednabucket » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Next time you do an incline start just ease the clutch out and don't touch the throttle, hopefully you'll find that the revs rise to compensate, mine do.
The only time I get caught occasionally is on a quick getaway and its probably something I shouldn't be doing anyway, back to the lack of feel.

IanW

Post by IanW » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:29 am

Hawkeye wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:46 pm
IanW wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 pm
Also, just to say, I think mine is getting worse the more miles I do in it. Just approaching 1000 miles now and seems worse than ever. Not sure if it's connected but my MPG is rubbish too. I have only once hit 40 mpg (just) on ANY journey and I'm typically getting 32. Commute to work sometimes less than 30 in moderate traffic. Not at all what I was expecting from the 1.5 engine.
To be honest IMO, it's way too early to say how your overall mpg is working out in my opinion - given you have only done 1,000 miles, some of them running in, some of them as you say doing 30mph in moderate traffic (no doubt with more than a few stop starts). Under those conditions mpg will always be poor. You need a good mixture of town work and running at motorway speeds before you realistically get a good perception of overall mpg.

Given what you say the conditions you have been running your under, then as I say, I'm not surprised its poor. I'd put money on if you had done 1000 motorway miles at a steady pace, the mpg would be significantly different
Thanks for the reply Hawkeye and I do agree with you that the engine will still be tight and not yet giving it's best economy. However, I worded my post quite badly and in fact meant that I am getting less than 30mpg on my commute (rather than travelling at under 30mph). Part of this journey is traffic but also some open road at 40/50mph. On my last few commutes home, I have only been achieving about 27-28mpg and this is when I am making an extra effort to drive economically! I've been waiting to see if it improves as the engine does more miles but, so far, no improvement at all.

IanW

Post by IanW » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:39 am

Ednabucket wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:28 pm
From what you are saying, Ednabucket, I'm not sure you are expeiencing the same issue as I am having. For me, when the engine is cold, or for the first few minutes of any journey, I can get the car moving, wiith my foot fully off the clutch and it is then as I am attempting to accelerate (or move at a constant speed in traffic) that I get the kangarooing. It's almost like the fuel is being delivered in bursts. It's not just first gear either, it will stutter in 2nd or 3rd. I am beginning to thik my car is suffering more than just the kangarooing issue when pulling away as others are describing here. I'm really interested to know if anyone else is getting this problem in other gears???

Ednabucket

Post by Ednabucket » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Yes, I have to say your symptoms do seem worse, particularly in light of the fact that your MPG is not good. Iv'e had my car since August it's now done a touch over 7000 miles and I have no trouble achieving between 40-45 to the gallon, slightly more on a journey.

Return to “Main Volkswagen T-Roc chat”