1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Impala

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by Impala » Mon May 13, 2019 4:28 pm

ianchelt wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:47 pm
Hi All. Just had a call from VW UK Exec Office and they advise that the dealers are rolling out a software fix for the Rooing issue. I have my 1.5Tsi booked in with my dealer this Thursday. They say it will take up to 2 hours and is the first T-Roc they will have done with this software update. I am hopeful that this update is going to work but will not know until first thing Friday morning when the engine is cold. Will let you know how it goes.

Fingers Crossed

T-Roc 1.5Tsi SE DSG Black White with added Roo
Good luck ... I've got my fingers crossed for you and all the other Roo keepers.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered: 22/06/18
Stage 2: 27/06/18
Stage 3: 08/03/19
Build wk: 14 - 01/04/19
Stage 5a: 31/03/19 Left factory 1 wk early
Stage 6: 08/05/19
Stage 7: 13/05/19
Collect: any day now :D

Musicegbdf

Post by Musicegbdf » Mon May 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Interesting , let’s see if they tell you that it will take 600 miles for the ECU to learn the update . That is what Skoda owners have been told .

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Mon May 13, 2019 6:05 pm

Musicegbdf wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:33 pm
Interesting , let’s see if they tell you that it will take 600 miles for the ECU to learn the update . That is what Skoda owners have been told .
I wonder if the same principle for my Triumph motorcycle (which is EU4 compliant) for when changing the exhaust or for using petrol when in another country which has a different ethanol content will be as applicable to this update from VW. Essentially for my motorcycle its what they call the 12 minute tune-up. Essentially you start the bike from cold not touching the throttle at all and just let it tick over until the radiator fan cuts in - you then let it tick over for a further 12 minutes (without touching the throttle, no revving at all) and in that time the ECU has learnt the new settings.

Alternately, I could just let my bike's ECU 'learn' the new settings over 500 miles or so. The 12 minute tune-up is a quick way of achieving the same without having to wait.

Just wondering whether the VAG ECU may work the same way, given that the ECU is capable of 'learning' and it takes approx 600 miles.
R-Line 2.0TSi DSG 4MOTION
Silver White with Black Roof
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist
Driver Assistance Pack Plus

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Jk320

Post by Jk320 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 am

Here in Finland our Passat 1.5TSI DSG got its update (released friday) yesterday. They didn't tell exactly what it was about and it should have an effect immediately. After a short test in +5 it has at least improved the car significantly. The car doesn't hesitate anymore when launching and I might be wrong but it feels like it's slipping the clutch more. When driving with steady throttle I didn't feel anything unusual. I hope this is the case also in colder weather and that this would mean a fix is possible for every 1.5 around. I have to try it again if it still gets even a bit colder.

ianchelt

Post by ianchelt » Tue May 14, 2019 8:30 am

Jk320 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:18 am
Here in Finland our Passat 1.5TSI DSG got its update (released friday) yesterday. They didn't tell exactly what it was about and it should have an effect immediately. After a short test in +5 it has at least improved the car significantly. The car doesn't hesitate anymore when launching and I might be wrong but it feels like it's slipping the clutch more. When driving with steady throttle I didn't feel anything unusual. I hope this is the case also in colder weather and that this would mean a fix is possible for every 1.5 around. I have to try it again if it still gets even a bit colder.
Hi Jk350 - This is really positive news and I'm really pleased for you guys. Testing in the colder temperatures is clearly the key to proving VW have cracked this issue. We are waking up to 9Deg C at the moment witch is subduing the Rooing affect on my car. My ECU software update is being done on Thursday and I am really hoping, like yours, it going to do the trick.

Can you keep us up to date on your Roo story.

Cheers

1.5Tsi SE DSG White/Black (with built in Roo - for now!!!!)

Impala

Post by Impala » Tue May 14, 2019 8:42 am

Jk320 wrote:
I hadn't realised from the recent posts that this latest software 'fix' was being applied to DSGs and not just manuals. If it is the same update, then that would tend to confirm the theory that the DSG has been masking the issue.

I wonder if all existing owners will be contacted and advised to book a dealer appointment, or only those who have complained of the issue to their dealer.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered: 22/06/18
Stage 2: 27/06/18
Stage 3: 08/03/19
Build wk: 14 - 01/04/19
Stage 5a: 31/03/19 Left factory 1 wk early
Stage 6: 08/05/19
Stage 7: 13/05/19
Collect: any day now :D

Potsy

Post by Potsy » Tue May 14, 2019 11:57 am

Impala wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:42 am
Jk320 wrote:

I wonder if all existing owners will be contacted and advised to book a dealer appointment, or only those who have complained of the issue to their dealer.
Was just about to ask the same, although I'm not sure mine is a roo it is certainly a bit jerky when I first set off, quickly goes OK.

Maybe something to do at its 12 month service?
T Roc SE
1.5 TSI DSG
Black.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Tue May 14, 2019 11:18 pm

Jk320 wrote:
Hmm, y'see if 'slipping the clutch more' is the so-called solution, it doesn't cut it with me. I can slip the clutch excessively to overcome the first gear hesitation but that's not the point. Who will be funding all the worn out clutches that occur as a result of a crummy 'fix'?

It'll be you and me.

The cars should be fixed so that they run like every other modern car and that is smoothly and without excessive clutch slip or give us our money back for selling a not fit for purpose dud for which a proper fix is not (apparently) achievable.

1.5 tsi emoo | Kangaroo Pack | Mooing Brakes Pack | VW Indifference Pack | Detachable Spoiler

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Wed May 15, 2019 7:28 am

Impala wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:42 am
I’ll put money on it only being applied if you have a problem, also that it will be down to the owner to contact the dealer (even if they have reported the issue previously) i’d like to be proved wrong, but VW won’t contact all owners as that then would be like a general recall with all the cost implications.

More I would say that it will be applied either by an owner complaining (and contacting their dealer again, if complained before) or it will be applied as an upgrade at the next service as part of the service schedule. Of the 2 I suspect the latter for getting it applied to all VAG cars.
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19

Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » Wed May 15, 2019 7:33 am

Jk320 wrote:
Re what feels like a slipping clutch - I know exactly what you mean as i had a similar impression on my 2.0 TSi DSG but it’s actually not slipping the clutch, it’s just how the latest DSG boxes work and the revs etc they engage / disengage at from standstill.
Panoramic Sunroof
'Beats' Sound system
Electric Tailgate
Rear View Camera
Park Assist

Ordered 20-10-18
Collected 19-03-19