1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Barnaclebob

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by Barnaclebob » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:05 am

I’ve been following this thread for quite some time now and, from what I’m led to believe, there are a number of different engine characteristics that have been grouped together under the description of the Roo. These range from “hesitation” in 1st gear, “juddering” in 1st gear and 2nd gear, and the worst case of the actual kangarooing in both 1st and 2nd gears. All three of these “characteristics” (as some bullsh*tting dealers describe) appear to happen when the engine is cold.
Our friend ibi informs that he’s had an “update” designed to increase fuel flow at low engine temperatures as a “fix” and a few people are very hopeful that this “update” will cure their cars as well - and you can’t blame them for being optimistic. Being a pessimist by nature (more a realist) I can’t help but think that any software update is a work-around for a very fundamental problem that only appears to affect a relatively small number of engines. I can understand affected owners clutching at straws and hoping that their car will be cured with a software update but again I maintain that if all engines (when manufactured) have the same software installed and only certain engines are suffering the roo (in whatever form) then any “update” is only trying to mask the problem(s). Surely that’s the fact! The question must also arise as to whether these updates will be “permanent” and whether there’ll be any problems in the future as a result of this update - like failing emissions tests during MOTs...
I’m sure VAG know the cause(s) of the problem(s) but I’m afraid they’ve bitten off more than they can chew with the introduction of the “underdeveloped” 1.5 TSI Evo engine in Europe. It has not been used in America - probably for fear of litigation. I read earlier today that the new Golf will be fitted with the old 1.4 TSI engine producing 156 PS. Doesn’t that tell us something?
So, bottom line, don’t have your hopes (in VAG) up too much...
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

vernerbongo2

Post by vernerbongo2 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:33 am

Owners of roc's with minor roo are in a predicament if an update is available!
Do you get it or not?
Could it make it worse?
If it did can update be reverted to previous?
Does every roc get it or just those who've actually reported a roo? (which I haven't)

I think at the minute I would live with my very very minor roo :roll:
Manual 1.5 petrol R-line blue with black roof/wing mirrors, mud flaps, towbar.
Registered 24/9/18 bought 10/12/18 (pre-reg with 25 miles) :P

RedRoc

Post by RedRoc » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:53 am

Barnaclebob wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:05 am
... I read earlier today that the new Golf will be fitted with the old 1.4 TSI engine producing 156 PS. Doesn’t that tell us something?...
Hi B'Bob.
Where did you read this? Got a link? I'm currently considering swapping my Passat for something else, but have been put off the 1.5 for obvious reasons and the chance of a 1.4tsi would make my choices much easier.
T-Roc 1.0 SE Flash Red -

Barnaclebob

Post by Barnaclebob » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:11 am

Re: 1.4TSI, it was an article on the new Mark 8 Golf that I read on my iPad when I opened Google.... which has now disappeared - as they do! However, further searches only refer to the 1.4 hybrid? According to most news items they’re speculating that it’ll be the 1.5 engine fitted to the mainstream cars.... I suppose we’ll have to wait until the official VW announcement, probably at the Frankfurt motor-show, to really find out....
T-Roc, SEL, 1.5 TSI, DSG, Indium Grey Metallic,
Winter Pack, Electric Tailgate.
Ordered 04-Mar-2019.
Bought 20-Mar-2019.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:54 pm

twist wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:32 am
Great new Ibi, sounds like they may have finally sorted it. Hoping to have mine updated soon too.

T-Roo: what’s the issue with higher idle revs? Is it just increased fuel consumption or can it impact engine life?
I don't think higher idle revs would impact significantly on fuel consumption or engine life but it could effectively mean a driver will be using more clutch slip than usual, and all the time. Not sure how this might affect clutch wear.

There is another dimension to this "fix" though. A dealer is afforded the opportunity to fix your car if you indicate you are considering rejection. When you take the fix, and the dealer pronounces your car fixed, your potential right of rejection might be compromised. Of course, if your car really is fixed you won't want to reject it but if it turns out that it isn't.....

I'm just thinking out loud with no expertise to offer but I think that puts me on a par with whoever is trying to mask, sorry fix, the roo issue :mrgreen:

Impala

Post by Impala » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:17 pm

Fingers crossed for you Ibi.

Was it purely software or did they make any mechanical adjustments or change any parts ?
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

Seatnightmare

Post by Seatnightmare » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Hello - my first post here. I've been following this thread for many months (with thanks to all posters for the excellent updates) as I've been eagerly waiting for my Leon to be updated. Unfortunately, it's been nothing but a failure from SEAT like it has been from VW.

I purchased my LEON on PCP late last year, and within days started to suffer from the roo. I thought it was just the car bedding in but it just got worse. I had to completely adjust my driving style to try to cope, in ways similar to mentioned in the thread by others.

I took it to the dealer in Spring for a diagnostics. They found no fault and said there was nothing wrong with it - they blamed my choice in fuel and driving style. They told me not to listen to forums and they had no intention in admitting there was a fault.

A few months passed before I contacted SEAT customer services to complain. It took a few more phone calls back and forth for them to finally admit they were aware of a fault with the 1.5 TSI, and assured me they are waiting for a software update.

I've been waiting and waiting until a couple of days ago when I called the dealer for an update. They told me an update was still not available but there was a bulletin on the car engine for a replacement part. I turned up at the dealer, they took the car for a couple of hours. When they came back they said the part wasn't for my particular engine, but they had applied a software update instead. They assured me this was part 1 of a 2 part software update, and as predicted, could not give me a time frame.

Part 1 has done absolutely nothing to the engine performance. The roo is still in there.

I have been driving with the roo for 11 months now with no end in sight. I have given the dealer a chance to test the vehicle and apply a fix. I will now be applying to VW finance for a refund, although I'm not sure what my chances are considering it's done some miles and over 6 months old.
Leon 1.5 TSI FR - 68 plate

ibi

Post by ibi » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:45 pm

Impala wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:17 pm
Fingers crossed for you Ibi.

Was it purely software or did they make any mechanical adjustments or change any parts ?
As far as I know it was only software; no mention of adjustments plus they only had the car for two hours and I am sure they would have mentioned needing to provide new hardware.

24 hours on my other half put 50 miles on the T-Roc today and she gleefully announced that the car is transformed.
T-Roc SE 1.5 - Pure White with Black roof. Active Info display, Winter pack plus heated wheel, 17" Mayfield black wheels.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:14 am

Seatnightmare wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:13 pm
Hello - my first post here. I've been following this thread for many months (with thanks to all posters for the excellent updates) as I've been eagerly waiting for my Leon to be updated. Unfortunately, it's been nothing but a failure from SEAT like it has been from VW.

I purchased my LEON on PCP late last year, and within days started to suffer from the roo. I thought it was just the car bedding in but it just got worse. I had to completely adjust my driving style to try to cope, in ways similar to mentioned in the thread by others.

I took it to the dealer in Spring for a diagnostics. They found no fault and said there was nothing wrong with it - they blamed my choice in fuel and driving style. They told me not to listen to forums and they had no intention in admitting there was a fault.

A few months passed before I contacted SEAT customer services to complain. It took a few more phone calls back and forth for them to finally admit they were aware of a fault with the 1.5 TSI, and assured me they are waiting for a software update.

I've been waiting and waiting until a couple of days ago when I called the dealer for an update. They told me an update was still not available but there was a bulletin on the car engine for a replacement part. I turned up at the dealer, they took the car for a couple of hours. When they came back they said the part wasn't for my particular engine, but they had applied a software update instead. They assured me this was part 1 of a 2 part software update, and as predicted, could not give me a time frame.

Part 1 has done absolutely nothing to the engine performance. The roo is still in there.

I have been driving with the roo for 11 months now with no end in sight. I have given the dealer a chance to test the vehicle and apply a fix. I will now be applying to VW finance for a refund, although I'm not sure what my chances are considering it's done some miles and over 6 months old.
Sorry to hear you're suffering too. There is some info on rejection here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=879 which you may or may not have already seen. Good luck :|
ibi wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:45 pm
As far as I know it was only software; no mention of adjustments plus they only had the car for two hours and I am sure they would have mentioned needing to provide new hardware.

24 hours on my other half put 50 miles on the T-Roc today and she gleefully announced that the car is transformed.
About a year ago you mentioned your car had a software update and that it was as a result "much better". Presumably, the roo returned? If so, it might be early days for the current transformation :?: .

ibi

Post by ibi » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:49 am

T Roo wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:14 am
Seatnightmare wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Sorry to hear you're suffering too. There is some info on rejection here viewtopic.php?f=11&t=879 which you may or may not have already seen. Good luck :|
ibi wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:45 pm

About a year ago you mentioned your car had a software update and that it was as a result "much better". Presumably, the roo returned? If so, it might be early days for the current transformation :?: .

Yup; last time the improvement didn’t take or last. Perhaps wishful thinking on my part coupled with a warm day or three. Thinking back it was also just a “ software update”. This time it was an ECU update designed to improve low speed fuel flow when engine temps are low; instantly better behaved and still is. That said I have informed VW that the rejection case is paused not closed pending a few weeks running and until the arrival of colder weather. Right now guessing late Oct early November. Confidence is high but VW have work to do if they want to be trusted.
T-Roc SE 1.5 - Pure White with Black roof. Active Info display, Winter pack plus heated wheel, 17" Mayfield black wheels.