1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
twist

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by twist » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:23 am

vento2012 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:20 am
Hello All,
As you folks may be aware , VW has launched T-Roc in India recently. It's a 7 speed DSG (DQ200) variant with 1.5 EVO engine with ACT. Having driven the showroom car a few kilometers in a stretch full of speed breakers ( or humps as we call them here ) and pot holes ( our city roads are notorious ), I experienced the following:

1. my foot was off the accelerator for most part and the gearbox was in D2
2. The gearbox suddenly decided to switch to D1 and the RPM shot up to around 1600 .
There was a jerky feeling inside the cabin. I could replicate this behavior and made a video record.
3. Then the gearbox was again back to D2.

Pardon the quality of the video, but I believe it shows the issue I faced.

I was wondering if this issue is similar to the kangaroo issue some of you are facing on the cars with DSG as well; the issue being prevalent among the cars with manual gearbox. By the way, are the cars manufactured in 2020 free from this issue ?

admins / mods:
Since there is lot of experience with the kangaroo issue among the T-Roc owners here, I thought of clarifying my doubt here, since I have been following this thread since quite sometime.

thanks.
Were you going uphill when it dropped you into 1st gear? My old T-Roc (MY19) used to do this at a particular corner I would take at less than 10mph as children frequently ran out from behind the hedges and across the road. The corner was also raised like a speed bump. It used to drive me crazy when the car would do this as it would stay in 1st until I’d revved enough for it to go back to 2nd (or I tip shifted up manually). Very jerky experience. But my current T-Roc doesn’t seem to do this at all (MY20). It shifts much smoother and exactly when I’d expect to in nearly all cases - but it’s the same DQ200 gearbox.

It may be worth contacting your local VW to see if there’s a gearbox software update that fixes this. This doesn’t look/sound like kangaroo to me, it seems more like bad-behaving DSG software.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Rodknock

Post by Rodknock » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:49 pm

Watching the video, that switch to d1 and the jerk you describe may be the kangaroo itself, as on lower gears with a manual gearbox, the car also revs up when you let go the accelerator.

So for example, you're on first gear, and the car is rolling commanded by your input on the accel, then you lift off; the car will ALWAYS rev up on its own instead of going down (nonsense), around 200rpm, so you feel how when you lift off the pedal, rpm want to go down but they quickly rise 200 over what you had under your input, and that secuence makes you feel the jerk inside the car, as it quickly stops accelerating when you lift off, to accelerate on its own as if you pressed hard and sudden on the pedal.

On a DSG, this same behaviour may be the cause for it to change to D1, then back to D2, with the same jerk manuals do.

I wouldn't buy that car.

ladydriver

Post by ladydriver » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:18 am

Following advice on this forum I formally rejected my VW TROC 1.5 manual as it kangarood continually in 1st gear. I used the legal phrases that were suggested & sent an email to my dealer - Heritage Salisbury. At the same time I contacted VW customer service by phone & told them of my dissatisfaction There was much To& froing & suggestions that it was my driving & no one else had complained type of conversations but without a satisfactory way forward.Time to bring in the big guns..... My son-in-law took over the case with the Manager at Heritage & after much more "firm conversation" the case was accepted. The result of this was a brand new T roc in the almost exact spec as my old one but with the auto box. What a difference & what a fabulous car.
All credit to VW Heritage Salisbury, when my son-in-law took over the case they could not have been more helpful & efficient. They went the enth degree to find my replacement car & make sure I was happy with it. They sorted my finance too so that I was in no way disadvantaged. Can't speak highly enough of them, except how can a man achieve this result when a woman has to go ten rounds with no result.
Thanks to this forum who started me off & VW Heritage Salisbury for a satisfactory result.

twist

Post by twist » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:34 am

ladydriver wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:18 am
Following advice on this forum I formally rejected my VW TROC 1.5 manual as it kangarood continually in 1st gear. I used the legal phrases that were suggested & sent an email to my dealer - Heritage Salisbury. At the same time I contacted VW customer service by phone & told them of my dissatisfaction There was much To& froing & suggestions that it was my driving & no one else had complained type of conversations but without a satisfactory way forward.Time to bring in the big guns..... My son-in-law took over the case with the Manager at Heritage & after much more "firm conversation" the case was accepted. The result of this was a brand new T roc in the almost exact spec as my old one but with the auto box. What a difference & what a fabulous car.
All credit to VW Heritage Salisbury, when my son-in-law took over the case they could not have been more helpful & efficient. They went the enth degree to find my replacement car & make sure I was happy with it. They sorted my finance too so that I was in no way disadvantaged. Can't speak highly enough of them, except how can a man achieve this result when a woman has to go ten rounds with no result.
Thanks to this forum who started me off & VW Heritage Salisbury for a satisfactory result.
Glad you got a good outcome in the end (similar situation to me: I rejected in December and got a new one).

Yet again though, evidence of VW fobbing customers off and trying to make them feel like the problem is with them and not the car.
1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Impala

Post by Impala » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:46 pm

ladydriver wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:18 am

Can you share details of dates when your original (kangaroo) and replacement cars were built and/or first registered/delivered.

Did the dealer offer/attempt any software updates on the problem car ?
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D

vag8

Post by vag8 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:39 am

Hi All,
I’m considering a T-roc black edition as a replacement for my current ‘kangarooing’ Seat Leon Fr (68 plate) 1.5 130, this has the 20ps lower 1.5 but basically has the same hesitation/ flat spots etc as reported except despite claims by VW (see Honest John) any software updates have not fixed the issue, some owners even had injectors replaced but issues returned, anyway after believing Seat and the dealerships bull**** I am way past the opportunity to rejecting it so selling/trading is my only option.
So basically is the 1.5 150 finally sorted in MY20 cars?
I currently have manual but wouldn’t object to dsg, I’m also considering sticking with the urano grey and spending the saving on options such as digital dash, winter pack and park assist.
Or am I better avoiding the 1.5 and look towards the 1.0 instead, diesel not an option as only do about 7k a year and 85% is short journeys so dpf would be an issue.

Geordie

Post by Geordie » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:52 pm

I have a March 20 1.5 DSG which I have now done 2k miles in.I have had no experience of kangarooing and it's if anything even smoother than the 1.4 DSG golf which it replaced. I think it's a great engine -very nippy and economical with 47mpg overall

golfhp

Post by golfhp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:02 pm

Geordie wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:52 pm
I have a March 20 1.5 DSG which I have now done 2k miles in.I have had no experience of kangarooing and it's if anything even smoother than the 1.4 DSG golf which it replaced. I think it's a great engine -very nippy and economical with 47mpg overall
DSG can mask this problem.
DSG cars have different ecu engine software as well.

ritam

Post by ritam » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:04 pm

Hello, do not be fooled, if there were problems that have now been solved.
This 1.5 (150) engine is great, smooth, great torque powerful and certainly with the dsg.
This is my opinion, and experience.
grts

golfhp

Post by golfhp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:09 pm

ritam wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:04 pm
Hello, do not be fooled, if there were problems that have now been solved.
This 1.5 (150) engine is great, smooth, great torque powerful and certainly with the dsg.
This is my opinion, and experience.
grts
[/quo

I have completely different experience.
You can check my posts...
I have new car and a lot of disadvantages without any solution for solving it.