1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
SIMMO

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by SIMMO » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Strikes me people are trying to fix or get around a problem they shouldn't have to, you wouldn't half fill a kettle because three quarter fill caused it to switch its self off. Dealer or not !

niche

Post by niche » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:34 pm

Bellasdad wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:15 pm
Just to get back on topic somewhat, today I’ve used the drive select for the first time, I have always used the normal setting up to now but decided to try it in sport. The first noticeable difference was how much the steering weighted up but more impressively was how much sharper the throttle response was. The car overall was so much smoother to drive and acceleration seemed to be much improved.
For those struggling with issues it might be an idea to try sport mode and see if it has any affect on the driving experience. I’m sure others have tried it before but you never know it might improve things.
I think there have been posts on this suggestion previously. Oddly whilst it makes some difference it's not in any way significant in terms of main issues experienced in 1st/early 2nd for me. I've spoken to others who say it makes a huge difference - maybe similar to this. I think this is part of the story in terms of some vehicles being "very poor" and others less so and even "trouble free". I'd love to understand the components here and what is different but I assume it'll not be that transparent anytime soon, if ever..
1.5 SE Manual Ordered Nov 18/ Collected Nov 18 /Rejected Jan 19 / Rejection Accepted Feb 19 - Now Pondering next steps

Bellasdad

Post by Bellasdad » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:52 pm

niche wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:34 pm
Bellasdad wrote:
Just to get back on topic somewhat, today I’ve used the drive select for the first time, I have always used the normal setting up to now but decided to try it in sport. The first noticeable difference was how much the steering weighted up but more impressively was how much sharper the throttle response was. The car overall was so much smoother to drive and acceleration seemed to be much improved.
For those struggling with issues it might be an idea to try sport mode and see if it has any affect on the driving experience. I’m sure others have tried it before but you never know it might improve things.
I think there have been posts on this suggestion previously. Oddly whilst it makes some difference it's not in any way significant in terms of main issues experienced in 1st/early 2nd for me. I've spoken to others who say it makes a huge difference - maybe similar to this. I think this is part of the story in terms of some vehicles being "very poor" and others less so and even "trouble free". I'd love to understand the components here and what is different but I assume it'll not be that transparent anytime soon, if ever..
Yeah, I suspected this had probably been mentioned before but I thought I'd bring it up just in case. Like I said, it's the first time I've tried the sports mode and it did sharpen things up a lot, I really liked it.
Usually when I'm filling the kettle I like to put just enough water in to fill one cup, two if the wife's forced me to make her one. It's never switched itself off once, well it has, but only when it's boiled.
Now there's a top tip. :lol:
T-Roc R Line 1.5 manual. White silver with black roof.

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Bellasdad wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:24 pm
Hi Impala,
This is what I was referring to by drive select mode.
That's correct Bellasdad, that is the 'normal' way of changing drive mode and allows you to select any of the available modes. There is an additional Comfort mode not in your pic as it is only available when DCC option is fitted. You open that screen on the infotainment system by pressing the Mode button in the lower central console or in the 4Motion dial if fitted.

What I described using the DSG selector is like speed dialing. It is a one touch method to toggle back and forth between 'Normal' and 'Sport' and is much easier to use than pressing Mode then choosing a mode from the infotainment screen. Of course, it can't be used for selecting any of the other available modes.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line, Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered: 22/06/18
Stage 2: 27/06/18
Stage 3: 08/03/19
Confirmed build wk 14 (01/04/19)
Estimated UK arrival wk 18 (29/04/19)
Collect early May :D

niche

Post by niche » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:21 pm

Bellasdad wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:52 pm
niche wrote:
Bellasdad wrote:
Yeah, I suspected this had probably been mentioned before but I thought I'd bring it up just in case. Like I said, it's the first time I've tried the sports mode and it did sharpen things up a lot, I really liked it.
Usually when I'm filling the kettle I like to put just enough water in to fill one cup, two if the wife's forced me to make her one. It's never switched itself off once, well it has, but only when it's boiled.
lol. Well I'm glad it works for you. I could say bitter and jealous but i'm over that phase now :lol:
1.5 SE Manual Ordered Nov 18/ Collected Nov 18 /Rejected Jan 19 / Rejection Accepted Feb 19 - Now Pondering next steps

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:30 pm

SIMMO wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:28 pm
Strikes me people are trying to fix or get around a problem they shouldn't have to, you wouldn't half fill a kettle because three quarter fill caused it to switch its self off. Dealer or not !
Simmo, I think you are missing the point. No one is suggesting using Sport mode is a fix for kangarooing, but some of the drivers who have experienced kangarooing have also experienced 'some' improvement using Sport mode.

However, the Sport mode feature is not there to mask kangarooing, it has benefits in itself and changes the driving characteristics quite markedly. Some those whose cars don't exhibit any kangarooing have commented on poor throttle response, and that is often down to driving conditions and the ECU, but using Sport mode eliminates most of that and the car/engine reacts almost as if it had an old fashioned mechanical throttle linkage.

I know that is a bit off topic, but many owners are probably not aware of what Sport mode does or the best ways to switch it on and off. So apologies for digressing but hopefully some readers will find it intereting and maybe even helpful.
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line, Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered: 22/06/18
Stage 2: 27/06/18
Stage 3: 08/03/19
Confirmed build wk 14 (01/04/19)
Estimated UK arrival wk 18 (29/04/19)
Collect early May :D

Ednabucket

Post by Ednabucket » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:48 pm

Exactly right, I use sport mode because I prefer it, no other reason.

T Roo

Post by T Roo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:51 pm

Definitely an interesting read; grateful to all for the input. I’ll have a play around with the modes tomorrow. I did so in the first week I got the car but I’ll focus more this time :)
T-Roo 1.5 tsi emoo
indium grey metallic
hard plastic fascia pack
kangaroo pack
mooing brakes pack
VW indifference pack

SIMMO

Post by SIMMO » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:05 am

Bellasdad wrote:
niche wrote:
Bellasdad wrote:
Fair point, brave only making one cup of tea, some are really careful with there spending boiling a small amount saving money for a T Roo, dont boil it dry.

Newtroconthebloc

Post by Newtroconthebloc » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:19 am

SIMMO wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:05 am
Bellasdad wrote:
niche wrote:

Fair point, brave only making one cup of tea, some are really careful with there spending boiling a small amount saving money for a T Roo, dont boil it dry.
How much does a T Roo cost, SIMMO ?
1.5 SEL Petrol Manual Ravenna blue Sport pack power tailgate park assist reverse camera lumbar support (ordered 11 06 18) build w/c 1/10/18|at the dealers |collecting Thursday 3rd January 19.