1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
UnhappyHusband

Re: 1.5 EVO - 1st gear kangaroo

Post by UnhappyHusband » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:30 pm

This thread reminds me of the "clutch delay valve" threads on Seat Leon / Golf forums.

VW introduced an extra delay between the clutch pedal and the clutch, to allow drivers to treat the clutch like an on/off thing, and just mash the pedals and gears quickly.

You can remove the valve (simple job) or learn to drive again, basically with a complete lack of mechanical sympathy.

On my 1.4 tsi Leon it takes practice to cleanly pull away. Full off clutch, then on the throttle.

I wonder if it's the same thing contributing to the kangaroo problem.

Mk7 golf example: https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/manufac ... e-removal/
1.0 SE in Black

Negativepitch

Post by Negativepitch » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:41 am

TurboTrev wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:22 pm
Negativepitch wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:34 pm
Sorry to sound a bit thick here.
Is this just on the 1.5
I have got so used to driving an auto now but our budget will not stretch that far.
It only seems to be the 1.5tsi evo with a manual gearbox that has the problems.
Thanks very much.

Jabbafumi

Post by Jabbafumi » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:33 am

Based on the feedback here, it does seem to impact some cars more than others, mine was awful. According to my dealer, the factory have acknowledged there is a known problem and are working on a solution. How long that will take is anybody's guess.

BTW, I got ride of the T-Roc, it was only 3 weeks old, VW can keep it.

ibi

Post by ibi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:56 pm

Fingers crossed our 1.5 evo with manual box seems much better in first gear following a software update yesterday.
T-Roc SE 1.5 - Pure White with Black roof. Active Info display, Winter pack plus heated wheel, 17" Mayfield black wheels.

Jonavon

Post by Jonavon » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi was the update for the problem or is this coincidence that it has helped

ibi

Post by ibi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:40 pm

The car was in for another unrelated problem but I did explain that 1st gear was very difficult at times and that I wished them to ensure that I had the latest software.

I also said that if the Kangaroo behaviour continued I would reject the car. The dealer did say that mine was not the first car with the problem and tgat previous updates had not worked, so I left with not much confidence.

But; as I mentioned my car is now much better.

I have since emailed the dealer asking if some or all of tge software was designed to fix the issue.

I will let you know what they say.
T-Roc SE 1.5 - Pure White with Black roof. Active Info display, Winter pack plus heated wheel, 17" Mayfield black wheels.

Jabbafumi

Post by Jabbafumi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:21 am

I'd be very interested to see what they say about the software update. My understanding of the problem is that a solution is beyond a simple software fix and more mechanical.

The 1.5 TSI uses a miller cycle engine, which basically means the inlet valves are opened on the combustion stroke. Mechanical engineering states that compression would be lost with the inlet valves open on the combustion stroke and the engine will stall. However, in the miller cycle motor they use the turbo to create back pressure during the combustion stroke, this allows up to 15% more combustion and therefore more torque and power with better economy.

The 1.5 TSI's turbo is designed to spool up at very low RPM, around 1000rpm, as we know turbo's work off exhaust gases. So, when you pull away, the revs drop, the turbo stops spooling, the back pressure drops and the car tries to stall, the result - kangarooing.

The Miller cycle engine works perfectly with a DSG as the car is able to control the clutch, gear, throttle position etc. in a manual car, this is not the case.

my 10p's worth.

Newtroconthebloc

Post by Newtroconthebloc » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:42 pm

Great info, the solution does not seem to be easy.
Ah got it,
They need to add a steering wheel mounted straw you blow down whilst pulling away !
Sorry, I’m sure I won’t be joking when I get mine and it does it.
1.5 SEL Petrol Manual Ravenna blue Sport pack power tailgate park assist reverse camera lumbar support (ordered 11 06 18) build w/c 1/10/18 !

My Red One

Post by My Red One » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:43 pm

:D Thank you that is worth a lot more than 10p :D
1.0 Design Red with White roof

Newtroconthebloc

Post by Newtroconthebloc » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:39 pm

‘I haven’t got mine yet but is there traction control or something similar?
If so can it be disabled to rule out it being a cause
Just a thought’
I’ve posted above twice before, has anyone tried ?
1.5 SEL Petrol Manual Ravenna blue Sport pack power tailgate park assist reverse camera lumbar support (ordered 11 06 18) build w/c 1/10/18 !

Return to “Main Volkswagen T-Roc chat”