This is all rather surprising and troubling, although I've never had to wait 11 months for a car before and hopefully never again.enchantica wrote: ↑Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:42 pmDealer has gone halfway between the part ex price on 1st May and the part ex price for end of September so basically with the £500 if I take the offer from VW is back to the original deal. Therefore whilst in the same financial position I am getting the car as a 19 plate instead of a 69 plate.twist wrote: ↑Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:54 amI don’t think they’ll give you more. My dealer said the same regarding my Golf as the estimated delivery was October so I decided to sell it myself. What I noticed was that all the online valuations reduced the price by roughly the same amount at the same time (around the end of May, start of June). I’m guessing they all use a similar system for valuing cars and as such, the value has already dropped.enchantica wrote: ↑Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:37 amThe dealer reduced my confirmed part exchange price on the 1st May (order date) to allow for the fact that the new car would not be ready to late September (original quoted lead time). I will go back to the dealer and ask them to confirm the part ex price based on the order date as the car is now available 2 months early.
I could be wrong and it’s still worth asking your dealer but that has been my experience. In all honesty, I wish I’d just taken the PX!
My understanding was that the dealer quotes a price for the new car gives a px valuation at the time of order and this forms part of the contract between the customer and the dealer. In my case, both were included on the order form.
When the dealer provides the px valuation, they do so on the basis of the expected delivery date provided to them by VW during the order input by the dealer. In my case, the expectation was for delivery in Dec/Jan but when it became apparent that actual delivery would be much later, I raised all my concerns with my dealer and they confirmed that they would honour the price for the new car and px valuation as agreed at the time of order. Maybe I was lucky and had a good dealer, but I would have kicked up stink and probably cancelled my order if they had tried to increase the price and/or cut the px value.
If a car is not delivered within a month of the expected date, then it is likely the px valuation would change and the dealer could be out of pocket. However, I don't know if the dealer can claw any of that back from VW. I do know that my dealer made substantially less money from my purchase as a result of the delayed delivery.