Hot Volkswagen T-Roc on the way?

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Rob
Site Admin

Hot Volkswagen T-Roc on the way?

Post by Rob » Sat May 27, 2017 7:02 am

Volkswagen boss Herbert Diess has revealed that Volkswagen is working on a range of hot SUVs that will wear the R badge as the German brand looks to expand its high-performance R product lineup. A VW T-ROC R would be likely to arrive first.

2E6F38D8-8471-48BC-B532-4A28C4D6D0E3-855-00000088417A9CA1.jpeg

Speaking at the annual ‘GTI Treffen’ VW meet at Lake Worthersee in Austria, Diess told Auto Express that while the GTI brand will be reserved for performance-oriented hot hatchbacks, the R brand has more potential.

“We have a second sub brand which is R. With R we are considering. GTI has something to do with the hatch and this size of car - we shouldn’t expand this brand.

“For high-performance SUVs there is definitely customer demand. There are some premium cars there already that are quite successful. I agree that it is a good fit for the brand.”

It's likely the 2.0 litre unit from the Golf R would make a good fit.

His comments support those made earlier this year by the firm’s head of development, Frank Welsch, who said a hot model had been talked about from the beggining of the T-Roc's development.

"I could imagine more powerful engines and it has been prepared for the eventuality," Welsch said. "I wouldn’t call it a GTI - an SUV isn’t a fitting car for that badge, perhaps - but I could imagine it as an R.

VolkswagenOwner

Re: Hot Volkswagen T-Roc on the way?

Post by VolkswagenOwner » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:37 pm

Now this could be interesting, fingers crossed for some excellent lease deals like they did with the Golf R and I would be all over this!

TRocFan

Re: Hot Volkswagen T-Roc on the way?

Post by TRocFan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Nissan has toyed with limited-run GT-R-engined versions of its Juke SUV, and launched Nismo models, but VW’s decision to launch an R version of the T-Roc would signify a stepping up in the mainstream performance SUV stake

Return to “Main Volkswagen T-Roc chat”