Volkswagen T-Roc Forum banner

Chipping/Mapping a T-Roc

38K views 55 replies 20 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I have used RaceChip for year's on petrol & diesel's 2 Range Rover's , BMW X5, 2 BMW X1's, Mercesdes 250 sport, Beetle Dune and will be putting one on my T-Roc 2.0 TDI 150 4Motion as soon as Racechip have reprogrammed my old one... in my opinion RaceChip are a very professional company and I would have no hesitation in recommending them..

#3 ·
Here it is completely illegal to enhance a vehicle in any manner. All spec has to be exactly as described in the car manufacturers documents.
Any deviation carries penalties and any insurance is deemed void :eek: . If the Guardia find something suspect then the car is impounded. If you want to add running boards, tow bar, bull bars then the vehicle has to be sent to a government test centre and the addition logged in the information document of that car.
If you subsequently take anything standard oran addition off the vehicle then the procedure is the same - a complete retest- this also applies to anything fitted by a dealer after production So...……..
How do you get away with any such performance enhancing devices in the UK, do you inform the insurance or do you just "wing it" and hope you don't get caught.
I just wonder if they can be made legal in any way?

#4 ·
Any modifications such as this need to be declared to the insurer but are fully legal in the UK, also there is also the issue of your warranty, this will void anything that fails if it's linked to the engine if it fails due to performance enhancement. Shame as in Germany I believe abt do mods that are covered by the standard warranty.

#5 ·
Brilliant news, sounds like Racechip it is. I've enquired of the insurance, and whilst some companies won't cover engine modifications, there are still plenty of reputable insurance companies who do. I always ensure that all mods, engine or otherwise are always declared.
Yes there is a risk under warranty of engine failure, however, I've taken great care in the past to ensure that any engine enhancement is always readily within the engine limits. And as with any engine power increase modification, the main thing is to ensure that oil changes are done regularly to manufacturers specs, and at least once a year.

Appreciate all the feedback, cheers

#6 ·
#10 ·
In regards of the 1. 5 tsi, then it has a gasoline particulate filter, and it is causing problems for several tuners at the moment, no matter if you are talking remap or tunings box. I think ptronic have found a way to get around the problem, however neither dte (or dtuk which is just a rebadged dte), or racechip have the 1. 5 tsi. DTE had the 1.5 tsi for a short period, but due to problems with gpf, it was removed again from their site, as it was causing engine error. For remaps, not even ABT or br-performance have any coding available yet for the 1.5. Last time I talked with br-performance they 'hoped' to have cracked the ecu around new-year, but nothing is certain.

#12 ·
Hi

Just want to bump this up to see if anyone else has done it? I'm on a PCP deal so I am going to speak to VW finance to seek permission for a stage one (I'm not holding out much hope and won't do it unless they say so)

I thought a 1.6 would be sufficient for me but I am missing the poke I had in my previous car. I know it would invalidate certain parts of my warranty but the company I am using offers warranty if the stage one was to damage any part of the vehicle.

To be honest I don't know if it's worth it for the slight inconvenience it's giving me... if anyone has any opinions or if you've had a stage 1 on your t-roc I'd be interested to know if you think it's worth it.

I wish I went for the 1.5 tsi or 2.0 now

#13 ·
havsgaard said:
In regards of the 1. 5 tsi, then it has a gasoline particulate filter, and it is causing problems for several tuners at the moment, no matter if you are talking remap or tunings box. I think ptronic have found a way to get around the problem, however neither dte (or dtuk which is just a rebadged dte), or racechip have the 1. 5 tsi. DTE had the 1.5 tsi for a short period, but due to problems with gpf, it was removed again from their site, as it was causing engine error. For remaps, not even ABT or br-performance have any coding available yet for the 1.5. Last time I talked with br-performance they 'hoped' to have cracked the ecu around new-year, but nothing is certain.
New member here, I have a t-roc on order for delivery in January 2019. I have been speaking to DTUK ( www.diesel-performance.co.uk ) who I believe use DTE hardware and they have just signed off on a revised system for the 1.5 TSI. According to the guy on their online chat, the 1.5 uses a slightly different SENT sensor?? to other VW group engines. DTE have revised their boards which has resulted in the issues being ironed out.

#14 ·
Andy_Troc said:
New member here, I have a t-roc on order for delivery in January 2019. I have been speaking to DTUK ( www.diesel-performance.co.uk ) who I believe use DTE hardware and they have just signed off on a revised system for the 1.5 TSI. According to the guy on their online chat, the 1.5 uses a slightly different SENT sensor?? to other VW group engines. DTE have revised their boards which has resulted in the issues being ironed out.
True, the initial suspicion of issue being related to the gpf was not correct. The issue was the intake air sensor which uses a different Sent protocol.

Previously I've been using dtuk products and was satisfied all along.... until last time I bought a product from them. I had lots of issues, sent module back and forth for reprogramming, new looming new module etc. It ended with them claiming it was a fault with my car and that I should provoke the error with the tuning module mounted, then remove module once error occurred and drive to my dealer and let them fix it. Worst suggestion ever and proved to me, that they have absolutely no clue about the design of the tuning box. With my 14 years of experience with software testing and electronics design, I was quite offended by this suggestion. So I took contact directly to DTE and got in contact with their chief engineer. After me testing a lot of different scenarios, they actually found out, that it was a fault in the communication, and removed the tuning module from their webshop, until proper developed. So I will only buy from DTE in the future, they have shown excellent customer service and willingness to help.

#15 ·
I'm currently looking to see whats available for the 1.5 Eco engine in the T-Roc. I had a ChipExpress tuner in my 2.0 TDI Q5 which was then reconfigured for my SQ5. It made a huge difference to both the performance and improved fuel economy. I'd say it paid for itself in the 4 years I had it installed. It was very easy to fit and remove if the car was going in to be serviced etc. I emailed Race Chips a few weeks ago, but they didn't currently have a release date for my engine.

#16 ·
T-Rocster said:
I'm currently looking to see whats available for the 1.5 Eco engine in the T-Roc. I had a ChipExpress tuner in my 2.0 TDI Q5 which was then reconfigured for my SQ5. It made a huge difference to both the performance and improved fuel economy. I'd say it paid for itself in the 4 years I had it installed. It was very easy to fit and remove if the car was going in to be serviced etc. I emailed Race Chips a few weeks ago, but they didn't currently have a release date for my engine.
You can have a look at these guys
https://www.chiptuning.com/en/vw/t-roc-a11-2017/1-5-tsi-150ps-110kw-1498ccm/powercontrol.html

#17 ·
Thanks havsgaard,

DTE Systems were the only reputable company I'd found that currently do a chip upgrade for the T-Roc. At 489 euro I found them a bit too pricey. I'll wait and see what other offerings come on to the market over the next few months.

#18 ·
T-Rocster said:
Thanks havsgaard,

DTE Systems were the only reputable company I'd found that currently do a chip upgrade for the T-Roc. At 489 euro I found them a bit too pricey. I'll wait and see what other offerings come on to the market over the next few months.
I know they sometimes have special discounts e.g. Black Friday, the same with dtuk.

#19 ·
havsgaard said:
Andy_Troc said:
True, the initial suspicion of issue being related to the gpf was not correct. The issue was the intake air sensor which uses a different Sent protocol.

Previously I've been using dtuk products and was satisfied all along.... until last time I bought a product from them. I had lots of issues, sent module back and forth for reprogramming, new looming new module etc. It ended with them claiming it was a fault with my car and that I should provoke the error with the tuning module mounted, then remove module once error occurred and drive to my dealer and let them fix it. Worst suggestion ever and proved to me, that they have absolutely no clue about the design of the tuning box. With my 14 years of experience with software testing and electronics design, I was quite offended by this suggestion. So I took contact directly to DTE and got in contact with their chief engineer. After me testing a lot of different scenarios, they actually found out, that it was a fault in the communication, and removed the tuning module from their webshop, until proper developed. So I will only buy from DTE in the future, they have shown excellent customer service and willingness to help.
at the time the info we (DTUK) relayed to you was the info that was being relayed to us from DTE. As you know they supply our boxes, but unlike many other vehicles we did not have a 1.5 on fleet to test etc. At that time and to this day we still have 6 x 1.5 Tfsi's out there running the same kit (non updated firmware) that you originally had running without any issues. It was a very bizarre issues to solve, but thankfully it was sorted.

At the time DTE had no idea other than to blame the customers car, more so when both they and us knew we had other cars out there running without issues.. So to say we didn't try and help is a little unfair as we were simply relaying info from Germany :)

Germany thought it was GPF issue, and I actually said that i thought wasn't and that it was something else. It was I/we/DTUK that pushed them (DTE) to make sure that they tested various different VAG brands to makes sure everything was sorted 100%...

But yes, eventually the issue was found to be the sensor rather than anything else. We've since had loan of an Audi A3 1.5TFSI 150PS and have managed to increase and improve the files on the box due to the UK not having any TUV regulations

#20 ·
T-Rocster said:
Thanks havsgaard,

the price offered by DTE and ourselves DTUK for a SENT compatible tuning system on the 1.5TFSI Is very reasonable, SENT tuning kits are 550-600 elsewhere for vehicles like S4/S5/RS3 that use the same hardware :).

At present were offering the kit with app control for £421.91 inc vat and uk delivery when you use the code SPRING

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/tuning/car/volkswagen/t-roc-from-2017-onwards/1-5-tsi-150ps110kw-1498-ccm-8/

#22 ·
Andy_Troc said:
at the time the info we (DTUK) relayed to you was the info that was being relayed to us from DTE. As you know they supply our boxes, but unlike many other vehicles we did not have a 1.5 on fleet to test etc. At that time and to this day we still have 6 x 1.5 Tfsi's out there running the same kit (non updated firmware) that you originally had running without any issues. It was a very bizarre issues to solve, but thankfully it was sorted.

At the time DTE had no idea other than to blame the customers car, more so when both they and us knew we had other cars out there running without issues.. So to say we didn't try and help is a little unfair as we were simply relaying info from Germany :)

Germany thought it was GPF issue, and I actually said that i thought wasn't and that it was something else. It was I/we/DTUK that pushed them (DTE) to make sure that they tested various different VAG brands to makes sure everything was sorted 100%...

But yes, eventually the issue was found to be the sensor rather than anything else. We've since had loan of an Audi A3 1.5TFSI 150PS and have managed to increase and improve the files on the box due to the UK not having any TUV regulations
Fair enough but no-one told me who relayed what, I bought the box from you, your responsibility, so there is a lack of proper communication.
As a loyal customer since 2013, I felt quite neglected about the suggestion to provoke the error, remove the box, and drive to the dealer, even though it was stated I don't know how many times, that there was no error or anything else as soon as removing the box, that was just the last drop for me, and I didn't find that suggestion serious. I did spend quite many hours gathering information, read out datalogs from car, drive different scenarios, give feedback etc. - So from a customer perspective, I found myself to be quite patient.

Since we got nowhere, I contacted DTE directly, and they helped me immediately. I even got the updated box for updating via Internet, before that feature was officially available and gave feedback on different software versions, I actually felt we were getting somewhere, though it unfortunately showed to be a protocol problem and several months after initial purchase a refund was arranged.

#23 ·
Hi all,
I'm not surprised chip tuning companies are having problems coming up with upgrades to the VW Ecu as VW can't rectify the problems with the 1.5 eco engine. I hear reports of " the torque of the 1.5 engine. "What " I've had mine for over one year and it's gutless. I'm retired and a torqueeeee diesel with a auto box would be heaven to me but I don't do the mileage.
I'm just glad to get away from the kangaroo pages and talk to real Motörhead's who know what their talking about
Thanks.

#25 ·
I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Racechip has now released a GTS only chip for the 1.5 engine at £399. When I spoke to them they were advising the App version for the ease of mapping changes and automatic updates. taking it to £449. My heart was saying 'go for it' my wallet was saying otherwise. So I put the funds towards a couple of ebikes for my wife and myself. If I can loose enough wait my power to weight in the T-Roc may improve :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.