T-Roc and the Internet

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
greyroc

T-Roc and the Internet

Post by greyroc » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:10 pm

We haven't got our T-Roc yet (SEL on order), so unfortunately don't have a manual, but have been trying to research the toys like Car-Net etc.

Getting a bit confused though, lots of conflicting information about, so wondered if someone could please put me right on the following points..

1) Does the car have an internet connection using an onboard SIM ?

2) Does the car connect to internet using WIFI (when at home on drive etc.) or a mobile phone acting as a hotspot?

3) If there isn't an onboard SIM and Internet connection, has anyone found a suitable 4G WIFI or MIFI dongle that the car will connect to ?

4) I read somewhere that the SEL comes with a 3 year subscription to Car-Net, is this correct, what does this subscription actually give you ?

5) Am I right in thinking that Car-Net will enable remote monitoring of car (Locked, location, Journey information, security notifications etc.) ?

6) Am I also right in thinking that Car-Net will allow upload of stuff to the car (SAT Nav destinations etc.) ?

7) When connected to internet (onboard SIM or WIFI) do the Sat Nav maps update or is that a dealer job for a CD or similar ?

My only experience of VW's gadgets was a brief play with Android Auto in a hired Polo while on holiday which I thought was nice, but I think the T-Roc SEL has a bit more than that so I am keen to find out exactly what we are getting.
T-Roc SEL 1.5 TSI 150PS EVO 6-speed Manual Indium Grey
Usual SEL kit, Reversing Camera, Electric Tailgate & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 15th Sept 2018 (Delivery estimate Wk 51 - Dec 2018)
Due to major delay and Roo'ing, Order changed to T-Cross April 2019

Laurenb92

Re: T-Roc and the Internet

Post by Laurenb92 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:31 pm

I’ve only just set the car net up and to be honest I don’t think it’s that great. It does have a sat nav and it uses ur phone as a hotspot, I have the r line and I have 3 year subscription with it.

When you get your car you will be given a car VW connect that monitors your cars location/fuel/driving style etc and from what I can see the car net does basically the same as that. It tells you the news and weather aswell and also can help navigate you to car parks and places of interest (but if you have sat nav it does that anyway)

Maybe I’m not using it properly. My car came with sat nav and even if it didn’t you don’t need it because the car play connects to google maps and brings up the maps on your screen. And the rest of the things the car net does is what the VW connect already does. If it wasn’t free I definitely wouldn’t be paying for it.
T-Roc 1.6 TDI R-Line silver white two tone black roof

BH1805

Post by BH1805 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:46 pm

Greyroc, the owners manual is here:

viewtopic.php?t=531

Brian
1.5 TSI SEL (Manual), Black Pearl Paint, Winter Pack, Sport Pack, Rear Camera, Park Assist,
Heated Steering Wheel, High Beam Assist, Blind Spot Monitor,
Pre-crash Preventive Occupant Protection.
Ordered 17/05/18, In Transit 21/10/18, Delivered 14/11/18

CJD

Post by CJD » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:00 pm

Some of the functions of car net are dependant on having an external connection such as your smart phone or WiFi to work otherwise it just tells you there’s no connection. A few features will work independent using its own inbuilt gsm SIM card ( built inside the dashboard). This allows your car to connect to the car net app via a smartphone & pc. It will tell you if the cars locked or unlocked, tell you the fuel tank level, allow you to remotely flash the lights & horn & tell you mileage service info as well as limited info on the last few trips including distance travelled & mpg ( that parts pretty basic & not as good as the vw connect data plug). The one feature that car net does have however where it really does shine is its location tracker which uses its gsm sim built into the dashboard to give you a tracking device that operates independently of any phone connected in the car etc. It allows you to set upto 10 boundary areas on a geographical map & if the car leaves or enters an area then it notifies you by email in real time & shows it’s current location on a street map. You can also set speed alerts & if the car exceeds the limit you set then it again alerts you ( great if you ever let anyone else borrow the car & want to keep tabs etc). I got car net as standard with my SEL model & whilst most of it is pointless, for me having a free tracker gives massive peace of mind that it will be recovered very quickly if it’s ever stolen.

greyroc

Post by greyroc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Thanks for the replies..

So the T-Roc does have a onboard built in SIM, I really wasn't sure, couldn't find definitive information.

Like mentioned, the built in tracking facilities sound excellent, well worth having !!

So which functions of Car-Net are dependant on having an external connection to WIFI or Mobile Phone hotspot ?
Interesting that not everything works using the onboard built in SIM, I wonder why they did that ??
Wouldn't be a lot of good if the tracking or security features wouldn't work when away from your WIFI, would make them pointless.

Still very confused about the differences between Car-Net, VW Connect and data plug facilities though !!
Last edited by greyroc on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laurenb92

Post by Laurenb92 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:49 pm

My car net doesn’t work at all without me turning on my hotspot or connecting it to an alternative internet connection
T-Roc 1.6 TDI R-Line silver white two tone black roof

Smarttask

Post by Smarttask » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:38 pm

I’m sorry but if the T-Roc has a SIM card tucked away somewhere please tell me where it is and who’s paying for it.. with out using my iPhone as a hotspot I can’t connect to CarNet ... I have a 4G dongle but haven’t tried using that yet but in the manual it says you can use one .
T-Roc 2.0 TDI 150 DSG7 4Motion 2018.

greyroc

Post by greyroc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Seems to be a common theme brewing here, Car-Net doesn't seem to work without WIFI or a mobile phone being used as a hotspot !!

Kind of makes it pointless, because it is hardly a 'Connected Car' if you are not sat in it with your mobile phone on..
Makes the security notifications and location stuff worthless, as that is required to keep an eye on things when you parked up.

Are we absolutely sure the car has a SIM and some kind of onboard data connection ?

I really can't get to the bottom of it, so much conflicting information.

Smarttask

Post by Smarttask » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 pm

T-Roc 2.0 TDI 150 DSG7 4Motion 2018.

greyroc

Post by greyroc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:37 pm

Smarttask wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 pm
This may help.. https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/car-net.
Yep, have seen that and read through it multiple times..

It kind if implies a 'Connected Car' without actually saying how the connection works.
For example, it says you can monitor your car "whilst browsing the shops or sat in the office" which certainly implies the car is connected to the internet using somekind of inbuilt data connection (SIM). Unless of course they mean it has to be in range of a WIFI hotspot somehow ??

But based on the experience of many users (both here and on the Tiguan forums) it appears nothing works unless connected to WIFI hot spot !!

Still not entirely sure how it is supposed to work.

It certainly sounds like it has its own data connection, but I am surprised by the amount of posts saying that nothing works unless connected to mobile phone, as that then implies that the car is DOES NOT have its own data connection.

Anyone had any experience of it working correctly and can shed any light, can the car be monitored if it isn't connected to WIFI hotspot ??