T-Roc and the Internet

All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Radders

Re: T-Roc and the Internet

Post by Radders » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:32 pm

I also assumed it would have a built in SIM, the same as my Audi A4 that has a three year subscription that uses the SIM for all data functions in the car such as Google Maps, traffic etc.

Bit of a pain having to tether it to your phone but in real life I use my Audi connect about once every six months.

Smarttask

Post by Smarttask » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:26 pm

Where I think it all becomes a bit confusing is that all the VW range have different specs.. For instance the Touareg has the possibility to insert a SIM card directly into the car.. the same as the electric cars which use Car-Net e-Remote.. But they way they publicise Car-Net you would think all VW models would be the same but they’re not.. If I were you I would go into the dealership with a copy of the letter you wrote here and aske them to answer your questions.. I hope this all makes a bit of sense...
I use Car-Net mainly for car parks, petrol stations when I’m in a place I’m not familiar with.. you also get the price of petrol/diesel at the suggestion petrol stations...
T-Roc 2.0 TDI 150 DSG7 4Motion 2018.

CJD

Post by CJD » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 pm

Quite a few people are noting that their car net only works when connected to home WiFi or a mobile as a hotspot. My car did this & would never transmit the data through to my smartphone meaning the tracker did not work & the only bits of car net that did work when tethered to wi fi or phone was things like the weather display on the car net screen in the car. When you turn your ignition on, if at the top of the large satnav/ infotainment panel you don’t see a car icon with a balloon or if you get a car icon with a cross then your car net is not functioning & you should complain to the main dealer. It took me 7 visits over 6 months & 3 parts of car net to be changed before the system finally worked as it should. If you go onto the car net app on a smartphone & it says it is unable to connect or retrieve data & does not show your fuel level next to a large t roc outline then your car net is not working. Hope this helps as it’s been a very long battle to get mine working

Dolphinfriendly1012

Post by Dolphinfriendly1012 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:15 am

I don't know if this will help, but I have trawlers around to try and see if I can find anything out about this. My previous tiguan had car net but would only work, intermittently mind, when tethered to my phone or home wifi. Now in regards the embedded sim, I intially thought it would be as I think previously mentioned, in the unit as a sim card slot like the previous generation a4 was. It appears that this isn't the case, unless there's been some changes, and it is buried in its own unit somewhere. From what I've read, which I know can't remember what site as I've read so many, that the sim card is a 2g enabled only. This means that it cannot transmit or receive data only phone or sms. This makes me think that it's able to carry out the basic functions via sms and use phone signal to locate for the tracker via mast triangulation, also the emergency side would would through voice call. Anything else will need a data connection hence tethering of phone or dongle. If this is wrong then apologies but seems a bit of a minefield and no doubt varies from country to country.
Ordered 19/06 - R-line 1.5tsi in silver white metallic, park assist, rear camera, beats, panoramic roof, side assist, keyless, electric tailgate & lumber support. B/W 39, in the UK somewhere. Order cancelled.

Dolphinfriendly1012

Post by Dolphinfriendly1012 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:22 am

Just found this, I wonder if this is what is hidden about the car somewhere

https://www.parts-depot.co.uk/genuine-v ... -101-p.asp

As a side note I think this is probably what everyone was thinking it should look like

Screenshot_20181109-081831_Chrome.jpg

Ordered 19/06 - R-line 1.5tsi in silver white metallic, park assist, rear camera, beats, panoramic roof, side assist, keyless, electric tailgate & lumber support. B/W 39, in the UK somewhere. Order cancelled.

greyroc

Post by greyroc » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 pm

Dolphinfriendly1012 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:15 am
From what I've read, which I know can't remember what site as I've read so many, that the sim card is a 2g enabled only. This means that it cannot transmit or receive data only phone or sms. This makes me think that it's able to carry out the basic functions via sms and use phone signal to locate for the tracker via mast triangulation, also the emergency side would would through voice call. Anything else will need a data connection hence tethering of phone or dongle.
Aaah, that could make a lot of sense, perhaps a 2G only connection built into the car !!

For anything other than 'basic functions', a tethered mobile phone acting as a hot spot is then required to provide real data.

That would then exhibit the behavior that most of seeing, in that not a lot (if anything) works unlsess a mobile hotspot is used !!

Could that be the answer, anyone know more?
T-Roc SEL 1.5 TSI 150PS EVO 6-speed Manual Indium Grey
Usual SEL kit, Reversing Camera, Electric Tailgate & F/R Mud Flaps
Ordered 15th Sept 2018 (Delivery estimate Wk 51 - Dec 2018)
Due to major delay and Roo'ing, Order changed to T-Cross April 2019

trocsel

Post by trocsel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:45 am

The Car-Net app has a Help link to volkswagen-car-net.com and there is a lot of useful help information on there. FAQ’s etc.

Also, in the help for Security & Service, Emergency Call Service, scroll down and there is a link to
“Service description as a PDF”

This is a very good guide about Car-Net.

https://www.volkswagen-car-net.com/port ... vice_en_GB
2.0 SEL TDI 4MOTION 150PS 6 speed manual
Atlantic Blue Metallic
Sports suspension & Progressive steering
Montego Bay 18” alloys
Winter Pack
Removable Towbar
Rear View Camera

JoDicken

T-Roc and the Internet

Post by JoDicken » Wed May 12, 2021 8:51 am

So why can i not connect to my office internet connection

JoDicken

T-Roc and the Internet

Post by JoDicken » Wed May 12, 2021 8:51 am

Any body else tried to play files with artist logos on the screen and if so does it work , mine dont

Impala

Post by Impala » Wed May 12, 2021 1:10 pm

This is a very old topic and the subjects are better covered in many others.

Regarding connection to your office internet connection, there are many possible causes. Firstly, being an office internet connection, does it have a wireless router and is it in range from your car ? Next up, is the wireless network 2.4GHz or 5GHz (my T-Roc can only use 2.4GHz but new cars may support 5Ghz or both). Then there is the wireless security to consider. Is the wireless network encrypted, do you know the SSID and password, is the SSID hidden, has MAC filtering been enabled ? I could go on, but it would be easier if you provided details or your setup rather than a vague question like "why can i not connect to my office internet connection".

Regarding artist logos, I presume you mean the album cover art for music files you have stored on a USB drive of some sort connected to the car. Again this is covered in several topics, and there are some problems with known solutions and workarounds. See this topic for a summary ... viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2141
1.5 TSI DSG R-Line MY19 Indium Grey, rear view camera, park assist.
Ordered 22/06/18
Built w/c 25/03/19 :(
With dealer 13/05/19 :P
Collected 20/05/19 :D