All Volkswagen T-Roc related discussions
Deleted user 925

Re: How is your HORN sounding?

Post by Deleted user 925 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:19 pm

twist wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:32 am
tiger tony wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:16 am
Here is my simple solution that I carried out almost a couple of years ago. The two horns fit on the same bracket on the original nearside position.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1117&start=10#p14456
I think the issue is that none of us are sparkies so we follow up until the “connector splicing” bit.

Are you saying you just took an old connector (that would plug directly into the original wiring socket that the single horn is plugged into) and connected the wires from each of the new horns into the single salvaged connector? How many wires does a horn have and is it obvious what they’re for? L, N and some sort of on/off L? Or is that wishful thinking?
It's literally just a newly made Y cable connector/adapter 🤔

sketch-1611404112474.png

September 2018 1.5 tsi R-line manual,
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

twist

Post by twist » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:26 pm

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:19 pm

It's literally just a newly made Y cable connector/adapter 🤔
sketch-1611404112474.png
Love you man. This may just be within my very limited technical capabilities :lol:
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:39 pm

This is what I constructed using an old salvaged VW horn connector and a set of wires.

Its just a simple splitter cable with the correct plug to attach to the existing vehicle wiring loom and free wires to connect to the pair of new horns.

Dont need to touch any of the original loom, just unplug the single horn and plug this in !!

Each horn has only 2 connections, and is not polariity conscious.

No issues with any canbus problems either due to the increased current drawn by the extra horn as its not monitored anyway !

Heres a view of my horns through the fog light aperture - sorry not very detailed :-

Heres a typical VW horn assembly - I just chopped off the connector (the bit with the white dot on !) and soldered on 2 sets of wires to each to connect to the new Hella horns :-

Connector ready for soldering wires :-

Finished wiring was covered in epoxy resin and wrapped in heatshrink sleeving for waterproofing.

Hope this guide helps .
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Dash cams, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19

twist

Post by twist » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:41 pm

tiger tony wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:39 pm
This is what I constructed using an old salvaged VW horn connector and a set of wires.

Its just a simple splitter cable with the correct plug to attach to the existing vehicle wiring loom and free wires to connect to the pair of new horns.

Dont need to touch any of the original loom, just unplug the single horn and plug this in !!

Each horn has only 2 connections, and is not polariity conscious.

No issues with any canbus problems either due to the increased current drawn by the extra horn as its not monitored anyway !

Heres a view of my horns through the fog light aperture - sorry not very detailed :-

Heres a typical VW horn assembly - I just chopped off the connector (the bit with the white dot on !) and soldered on 2 sets of wires to each to connect to the new Hella horns :-

Connector ready for soldering wires :-

Finished wiring was covered in epoxy resin and wrapped in heatshrink sleeving for waterproofing.

Hope this guide helps .
This is brilliant, thanks so much for the detail. A project to look forward to in the warmer weather!
UK 1.5 DSG R-line in Indium Grey
Keyless, park assist, rear view cam, driver assist pack plus, lumbar support
Ordered: 11/12/19 / Collected 20/03/20

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:29 pm

tiger tony wrote:

Hope this guide helps .
Great info and guide Tiger 👏
That's a tight enough looking space to work in and I'd assume a two handed job, my hands are big 🤔😂

Is 1mm2 cable heavy enough for the job?
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:38 pm

twist wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:41 pm

This is brilliant, thanks so much for the detail. A project to look forward to in the warmer weather!
I can't wait to see the finished job 🤔🙈😷

lnPZrx9J2FUvviL1mv.gif

revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

tiger tony

Post by tiger tony » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 am

Deleted user 925 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:29 pm
tiger tony wrote:

Hope this guide helps .
Great info and guide Tiger 👏
That's a tight enough looking space to work in and I'd assume a two handed job, my hands are big 🤔😂

Is 1mm2 cable heavy enough for the job?
Access is a little tight through the foglight aperture - once you get the damn foglight assembly removed (thats another awkward job) , but you can also simply remove the complete underfloor tray beneath the engine as well to gain a little more access. The other option is to remove the complete front bumper assembly which is a right faff of a job.

Uncoupling the existing horn from the plug in the wiring loom can be fiddly too. Its damn tight with limited access for 2 hands !
Its best done after you've unbloted the horn from its bracket, for which you'll need a short length 13mm spanner and plenty of muscle in that confined space!

A new 8mmx16mm long nut and bolt with washers is then required to attach the 2 new Hella horns to the existing horn bracket.

I've done this mod 5 times now for other owners. Its gotten a bit easier now !

For the salvage donor horn, any thing from the VW range, Golf, Polo, Passat, etc vehicles between 2010 onwards is fine. Also Seat, Skoda and Audi ones are suitable too. I picked all mine up from the local breakers yard for a couple quid, but that's probably best done during the summer months! Of course there's always plenty available on Ebay too.

Removing the required connector from the old donor horn is best done using something like a dremmel with a small cutting disk. Its easy then to remove all the excess plastic mouldings around the connector carefully. A junior hacksaw and a couple of hand files also works with care.

For the new twin horns, I always use new ones from Hella as they are nice and compact and fit in the available space perfectly. They're just as loud as original VW ones, and so much cheaper too.

1mm2 cable will be fine.

Let me know if you need any more help or info.
T-Roc 1.5 dsg SEL Silver-White, Black roof. Driver assistance, Rear camera, Keyless, Lumbar, Winter Pack, Towbar, Dash cams, Twin horns and no roo !
Ordered - Sept 18
Collected - 29 Apr 19

Deleted user 925

Post by Deleted user 925 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:27 am

tiger tony wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 am

Let me know if you need any more help or info.
I think mine will do the way it is 🤔👌🤷‍♂️😂🙃😎
revena blue,
black roof,
towbar.

Ian91

Post by Ian91 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:41 am

Sound advice!! from tiger tony, I decided to use his wiring adapter and the hella horns job took me a few hours. It’s a little tricky as mentioned because of the limited space, but there is enough room to fit both horns and get your spanner’s in to tighten up. A bright torch also helps to check everything is fitted correctly.
Ordered R line 1.5tsi DSG Indium Grey 11/03/19
Built wk 34 and in transit 23/08/19
Arrived at the UK Port. 11/09/19
Due for collection 23/09/19

brid

Post by brid » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:43 am

The more I read on this subject the more I become enchanted with the existing equipment. :lol:
Sport 2.0 TDI 150 CV DSG7 Gris Urano, Panoramic Roof.
Collected 12-06 2019